Meltdown Likely Under Way At Japan Nuclear Reactor

where is the radiation going? Is it blowing towards North America?

My question then is, will it be safe to fly? If one looks at the air routes, they seem to fly over Japan and through the radiation cloud.

Please, someone tell me I am wrong.

Excellent question and of some concern as local winds have little to do with global effects of upper winds.

I have to think that as people we have an overwhelming concern for the people of Japan and global impacts to people/food and environment.

I believe our fates are in the hands of God and those that do their best and as a group, Japan, the situation couldn't be in better hands.

I fear that many will place themselves in harms way to protect their country and the world as a whole. God bless them and the people now immediately effected.

I wish there were words I could type that would make a difference, but I have no such words.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile, this account from Reuters yesterday describing the Three Mile Island episode in the U.S. begins to sound a lot like what we are being told is happening at Fukushima Daichi 1.

The Three Mile Island accident in Pennsylvania was a partial core meltdown in which the metal cladding surrounding the fuel rods started to melt. That metal surrounds the ceramic uranium fuel pellets, which hold most of the radiation and power the reactor.

Nuclear reactors operate at between 550 and 600 degrees F (between 288 and 316 degrees C). The metal on the fuel rods will not melt until temperatures are well above 1000 degrees F. The ceramic uranium pellets themselves won't melt until about 2000 degrees.

About half the reactor core at Three Mile Island melted before operators restored enough cooling water to stop the meltdown. The core holds the uranium fuel rods, which must be cooled by water to prevent overheating.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/12/us-japan-quake-nuclear-us-idUSTRE72B2UN20110312

Japan is a "hi-tech" well organised country, that has spent a lot of time, thought and money on dealing with earthquakes....

Imagine if this happened in another country with nuclear power plants!

Change "another country" to Thailand and yes you would have a catostrophic disaster. They would probably not report the event "it would be bad for tourism"

:lol: In Thailand they would send an army with pat-loms (fans) to defend against nuclear radiation leakage, not to forget to consult the ghosts and fortune tellers. :lol:

I think TEPCO is obfuscating by deliberately confusing the order of events - a fine Japanese tradition by the way, you just have to know how to spot it. ...

Haters will never miss an event to use it for their propaganda. :bah:

Japan is a "hi-tech" well organised country, that has spent a lot of time, thought and money on dealing with earthquakes....

Imagine if this happened in another country with nuclear power plants!

Warning, the bearded anoraks are out! BBC just interviewed a chap with a beard and an anorak saying that this should mean no more nuclear power plants and the existing ones should be de-commissioned! No doubt we shall get some balance with an interview with a nuclear power advocate? Personally, I suspect that Mitsubishi Heavy's reactors are rather more robust than their Russian counterparts......

The bearded anoraks are the second sign of the apocalypse, I'm grabbing a tin-opener and heading for cover. :ph34r:

I think TEPCO is obfuscating by deliberately confusing the order of events - a fine Japanese tradition by the way, you just have to know how to spot it. ...

You will get the wrong picture if some Japanese hating scaremonger brings you his selection of "news".

I haven't created past incidents and accidents of TEPCO nor have I written the text in the quote. ;)

Look at the whole picture.

So if a "bearded anorak" told you your house was on fire, you wouldn't do anything until a man in a suit told you he was right?

i think your methods of how to sift information are a bit weak.

CANDO have a fail safe system that requires no power, IE loss of power,

http://canteach.candu.org/library/20053307.pdf

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View

CANDU reactors are designed with two shutdown systems to provide a ...

canteach.candu.org/library/20053307.pdf -

However this Reactor is very expensive, and thus everyone opts for the cheaper version , thinking the day will never arrive for a accident !

And a recap from Reuters on the Fukushima Daichi and Daini reactors status. Seems to be saying they have been or will be releasing radioactive (at some level) steam from 6 different reactors to ease pressure associated with failed cooling systems.

Interesting to note, the Fukushima Daichi 1 reactor, the one with the partial meltdown, is the smallest capacity of all those involved.

Following is a list of the manufacturers and the current status of reactors in the Fukushima Daiichi and Daini plants, excluding those under planned maintenance when the quake struck. Generation capacity is shown in megawatts.

Plant name / Unit / MW / Mfr / Status

Fukushima-Daiichi

1 460 GE -- keeps filling with sea water [already steam vented yesterday]

2 784 GE, Toshiba -- preparing to release inner pressure

3 784 Toshiba -- started on Sunday morning to release inner pressure

Fukushima-Daini

1 1,100 Toshiba -- ready for releasing inner pressure

2 1,100 Hitachi -- ready for releasing inner pressure

3 1,100 Toshiba has been safely cooled

4 1,100 Hitachi -- ready for releasing inner pressure

(Source: Tokyo Electric Power as of 0320 GMT on Sunday)

http://www.reuters.c...E72C0GZ20110313

Edited by jfchandler