Meltdown Likely Under Way At Japan Nuclear Reactor

george

NHK:

The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency says the operations [water spraying] appear to be paying off to a certain degree, with radiation levels showing a continuous decline since Sunday afternoon.

The agency has been monitoring data at a point about 500 meters northwest of the Number 3 reactor.

It says radiation readings stood at 2,670 microsieverts per hour as of 6:30 AM on Sunday.

It says the figure then rose briefly to 3,346 microsieverts at 2:50 PM on Sunday, but went down again to 2,319 microsieverts [2.3 mSv per hour] at 6:30 AM on Monday.

The agency says the brief jump in radiation could be due to the wind on Sunday afternoon. It says it will continue to closely monitor the situation.

Monday, March 21, 2011 12:34 +0900 (JST)

http://www3.nhk.or.j...lish/21_17.html

Edited by jfchandler

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Live news conference:

NISA says no blast, no explosion reported from Reactor 3 -- just smoke.

NHK:

Grey smoke found from No.3 nuclear reactor

A local branch of the Tokyo Electric Power Company says grey smoke was seen rising from the troubled No.3 reactor of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear power plant in Fukushima Prefecture.

The smoke was apparently coming from the southeast edge of the roof of the reactor structure at 3:55 PM on Monday.

The office informed local firefighters about this. The amount of smoke seems to be decreasing.

The reactor operator is evacuating its workers from the area.

The storage pool for spent nuclear fuel is located in the southeast area of the reactor structure.

Monday, March 21, 2011 17:17 +0900 (JST)

http://www3.nhk.or.j...lish/21_25.html

NHK says electricity has been connected to the reactor, but the power has not yet been turned on. So they're discounting that as a cause.

NHK also says no rise in radiation levels reported as yet.

Don't believe it's steam, as that would be more white vs. grey.

Edited by jfchandler

NHK:

Rescued boy tells about 9 days trapped

A 16-year-old boy rescued nine days after a devastating earthquake and tsunami has spoken about his ordeal.

The boy was rescued along with his 80-year-old grandmother on Sunday. They were trapped in the debris of their house in Ishinomaki City.

The boy is now being treated for hypothermia.

He told the media that he is happy that he and his grandmother were rescued. Asked about how they spent the nine days, he said he doesn't remember much, but they kept talking to each other.

He also said he was inside the building at the time, so he has no idea what the tsunami looked like.

The boy added that he was trapped in a tight space with only room to crawl.

He said he could hear the rescue workers, but was unable to attract their attention.

He said he is fine now, but has yet to think much about what to do when he fully recovers.

Monday, March 21, 2011 15:24 +0900 (JST)

http://www3.nhk.or.j...lish/21_20.html

Edited by jfchandler

Re food safety radiation developments, Cabinet Sec. Edano is advising the news media... "Behave and act calmly."

Govt. has ordered a halt to shipment of certain products, based on radiation levels exceeding govt's provisional radiation standards.

Spinach and spinach like vegetables from Ibaraki, Fukushima, Tochigi and Gunma prefectures -- asking suppliers not to ship out those products from there.

Also raw milk from Fukushima prefecture -- asking suppliers not to ship out product from there.

Ministries of Health and Agriculture will be holding their own news conferences soon with more details.

Edited by jfchandler

Seeing the aerial images of the fire engines lined up outside the Fukshimi Daiichi plant reminded me of the "vehicle graveyards" of all the emergency and clean up vehicles used at Chernobyl. Too radioactive to use again, they were left within the Chernobyl exclusion zone in various "graveyards". One of the larger examples can be seen at N 51 09 12 E 29 58 55 (cut and paste into google earth "fly to" box)

Hopefully it wont come to that.... The signs seem quite good over the last few days, there is light at the end of the tunnel I feel.

NHK:

Thousands of Taiwanese protest nuclear plants

More than 5,000 people have rallied in the Taiwanese capital Taipei to call for the cancellation of the construction of new nuclear power plants.

The rally was organized by an environmental group amid the ongoing disaster at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in Japan.

Six reactors are operating and 2 are under construction in Taiwan, and most are located in the populated area near Taipei.

The protest organizer says what happened in Japan is sad, and the same thing may happen in Taiwan. The group is demanding that authorities immediately inspect the security of the operating plants and halt construction of the 2 new ones.

Taiwanese authorities say they will not review construction plans, but will re-examine the plants' safety against earthquakes and tsunami.

Sunday, March 20, 2011 19:43 +0900 (JST)

http://www3.nhk.or.j...lish/20_30.html

Edited by jfchandler

Uhhh.... James.... can you translate all that Japanese for us???

I just see at the bottom of the page they say... 120CPM = about 1 micro Sievert/hr

And all the readings on the chart are far, far below 120 CPM....

But all these different measuring terms are giving me a headache...

At the beginning of all this, it took Tywais a couple days just to teach me the difference between milli and micro-sieverts... :D

I just see at the bottom of the page they say... 120CPM = about 1 micro Sievert/hr

At the beginning of all this, it took Tywais a couple days just to teach me the difference between milli and micro-sieverts... :D

I cant translate it John but was I can figure is that from 3am Local Time to 6pm Local Time that graph has gone up - I don't think it is a graph showing the air getting better throughout the day?

I cant translate it John but was I can figure is that from 3am Local Time to 6pm Local Time that graph has gone up - I don't think it is a graph showing the air getting better throughout the day?

started about 3pm local time and it increased considerably. I guess the rain is washing it down.

- Here (Hino City, Tokyo) Gaigakaunta amount of radiation is intended to show the facts remain. Measured every minute, updated every 10 minutes.

- Today (21), but from the morning rain, dust in the air fall to the earth, is said to increase the amount of radiation. At present, the change is negligible.

- Downtown (Bunkyo-ku), and an acquaintance's son, began observing the same system. Can now be compared. Thank you.Click here

- Personal security than in the field, trying to calm down a furnace technician to support all workers sincerely pray for success.

- important information so far, observations and Siebert CPM / time and the conversion of about one microsecond 100CPM = Sv / Orimashita to be displayed at the manufacturer's instructions that those who use the site Aya Hara a Itadakimashita read in detail. According to the report, about one microsecond 120Cpm = Sv / h found to be true. Correct (2011.3.19) this should read uSV/h. Glitch in google translation I think

-  for rolling blackouts, could not update the information. Please understand.

- We have received lots of email questions.FAQ We would like you to use.

- I Have Been Receiving many questions via email and Sign, So I Have Created FAQs .

Google translation from the site

Please download google chrome for easy translation. http://park30.wakwak.com/~weather/geiger_index.html

Tokyo - Japan's Nuclear has accused the operator of the Fukushima nuclear power plant disaster massive sloppiness to inspections. On 2 March 2011 published a report in which denounces the authority of delays in the schedule of inspections.Among the non-examined parts of the central elements of the cooling system for the six reactors and cooling ponds were found. A total of 33 parts of the installation were not investigated.

The operator then Tepco had given the failures. The non-inspected parts including an engine and an emergency generator included in the reactor block 1 of the plant. The failure of the emergency power supply is the cause for the accident.

The Nuclear Regulatory Tepco gave to 2 June period, prepare a correction plan.The letter said the authority believes that the failed inspections, risk to the safety of the power plant would pose no immediate, the seventies was built in the. Nine days later, the earthquake shook northern Japan, magnitude 9.0 in the following tsunami, the plant Fukushima heavily damaged. Since then forces fighting against the threat of meltdown - and the situation in the derelict power station is assessed by the International Atomic Energy Agency IAEA "very seriously".

- Google translate - http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/0,1518,752148,00.html

so TEPCO didn't inspect the cooling systems and admitted it.

So Elcent are you still calling for the China syndrome or have you revised your scaremongering?

As a matter of fact it's far from over. In case a bigger catastrophy can be averted it's going to very expensive either way. So far to cheap nuclear power.

Sure you will reveal to us of what you're so afraid of.

Edited by elcent

I think I understood more of the original German version... And I don't read German!!! B) I'll wait for the movie to come out.

Tokyo - Japan's Nuclear has accused the operator of the Fukushima nuclear power plant disaster massive sloppiness to inspections. On 2 March 2011 published a report in which denounces the authority of delays in the schedule of inspections.Among the non-examined parts of the central elements of the cooling system for the six reactors and cooling ponds were found. A total of 33 parts of the installation were not investigated.

The operator then Tepco had given the failures. The non-inspected parts including an engine and an emergency generator included in the reactor block 1 of the plant. The failure of the emergency power supply is the cause for the accident.

The Nuclear Regulatory Tepco gave to 2 June period, prepare a correction plan.The letter said the authority believes that the failed inspections, risk to the safety of the power plant would pose no immediate, the seventies was built in the. Nine days later, the earthquake shook northern Japan, magnitude 9.0 in the following tsunami, the plant Fukushima heavily damaged. Since then forces fighting against the threat of meltdown - and the situation in the derelict power station is assessed by the International Atomic Energy Agency IAEA "very seriously".

- Google translate - http://www.spiegel.d...,752148,00.html

so TEPCO didn't inspect the cooling systems and admitted it.

Edited by jfchandler

100% Solar Power by 2031?

Author, inventor and futurist Ray Kurzweil famously and accurately predicted that a computer would beat a man at chess by 1998, that technologies that help spread information would accelerate the collapse of the Soviet Union, and that a worldwide communications network would emerge in the mid 1990s (i.e. the Internet).

Most of Kurzweil's prognostications are derived from his law of accelerating returns — the idea that information technologies progress exponentially, in part because each iteration is used to help build the next, better, faster, cheaper one. In the case of computers, this is not just a theory but an observable trend — computer processing power has doubled every two years for nearly half a century.

Kurzweil also believes this theory can be applied to solar energy. As part of a panel convened by the National Association of Engineers, Kurzweil, together with Google co-founder Larry Page, concluded that solar energy technology is improving at such a rate that it will soon be able to compete with fossil fuels. Here is what he told PBS about solar's future:

"One of my primary theses is that information technologies grow exponentially in capability and power and bandwidth and so on. If you buy an iPhone today, it's twice as good as two years ago for half that cost. That is happening with solar energy — it is doubling every two years. And it didn't start two years ago, it started 20 years ago. Every two years we have twice as much solar energy in the world.

Today, solar is still more expensive than fossil fuels, and in most situations it still needs subsidies or special circumstances, but the costs are coming down rapidly — we are only a few years away from parity. And then it's going to keep coming down, and people will be gravitating towards solar, even if they don't care at all about the environment, because of the economics.

So right now it's at half a percent of the world's energy. People tend to dismiss technologies when they are half a percent of the solution. But doubling every two years means it's only eight more doublings before it meets a hundred percent of the world's energy needs. So that's 16 years. We will increase our use of electricity during that period, so add another couple of doublings: In 20 years we'll be meeting all of our energy needs with solar, based on this trend which has already been under way for 20 years.

People say we're running out of energy. That's only true if we stick with these old 19th century technologies. We are awash in energy from the sunlight."

spacer (1K)

Germany Rethinking Solar

The nuclear power plant crisis unfolding in Japan after the massive earthquake has already caused political fallout in Germany and could usher in a new era of renewable energy in Europe's largest economy.

On Tuesday Germany became the first European country to shut nuclear plants in the wake of the crisis in Japan. The move by the German government to temporarily close seven older plants came just one day after Chancellor Angela Merkel had imposed a three-month moratorium on the extension of the country's 17 nuclear power stations.

- - - - - - - -

Wind and Solar Stocks Surge After Nuclear Disaster

Stocks for wind and solar energy producers jumped as investors speculate that demand for renewable power will surge in response to the unfolding Japanese nuclear catastrophe. The German solar-panel maker Solarworld leads the pack, surging 32 percent. Bloomberg

Renewable Energy Fund

Edited by brahmburgers

100% Solar Power by 2031?

Author, inventor and futurist Ray Kurzweil famously and accurately predicted that a computer would beat a man at chess by 1998, that technologies that help spread information would accelerate the collapse of the Soviet Union, and that a worldwide communications network would emerge in the mid 1990s (i.e. the Internet).

Most of Kurzweil's prognostications are derived from his law of accelerating returns — the idea that information technologies progress exponentially, in part because each iteration is used to help build the next, better, faster, cheaper one. In the case of computers, this is not just a theory but an observable trend — computer processing power has doubled every two years for nearly half a century.

Kurzweil also believes this theory can be applied to solar energy. As part of a panel convened by the National Association of Engineers, Kurzweil, together with Google co-founder Larry Page, concluded that solar energy technology is improving at such a rate that it will soon be able to compete with fossil fuels. Here is what he told PBS about solar's future:

"One of my primary theses is that information technologies grow exponentially in capability and power and bandwidth and so on. If you buy an iPhone today, it's twice as good as two years ago for half that cost. That is happening with solar energy — it is doubling every two years. And it didn't start two years ago, it started 20 years ago. Every two years we have twice as much solar energy in the world.

Today, solar is still more expensive than fossil fuels, and in most situations it still needs subsidies or special circumstances, but the costs are coming down rapidly — we are only a few years away from parity. And then it's going to keep coming down, and people will be gravitating towards solar, even if they don't care at all about the environment, because of the economics.

So right now it's at half a percent of the world's energy. People tend to dismiss technologies when they are half a percent of the solution. But doubling every two years means it's only eight more doublings before it meets a hundred percent of the world's energy needs. So that's 16 years. We will increase our use of electricity during that period, so add another couple of doublings: In 20 years we'll be meeting all of our energy needs with solar, based on this trend which has already been under way for 20 years.

People say we're running out of energy. That's only true if we stick with these old 19th century technologies. We are awash in energy from the sunlight."

spacer (1K)

Germany Rethinking Solar

The nuclear power plant crisis unfolding in Japan after the massive earthquake has already caused political fallout in Germany and could usher in a new era of renewable energy in Europe's largest economy.

On Tuesday Germany became the first European country to shut nuclear plants in the wake of the crisis in Japan. The move by the German government to temporarily close seven older plants came just one day after Chancellor Angela Merkel had imposed a three-month moratorium on the extension of the country's 17 nuclear power stations.

- - - - - - - -

Wind and Solar Stocks Surge After Nuclear Disaster

Stocks for wind and solar energy producers jumped as investors speculate that demand for renewable power will surge in response to the unfolding Japanese nuclear catastrophe. The German solar-panel maker Solarworld leads the pack, surging 32 percent. Bloomberg

source's email: [email protected]

Renewable Energy Fund

This is good news, thanks.

Jd, you should have seen the NHK evening news models tonight... You would have been beside yourself...

Complete with the Tokyo FD commander showing how they laid their water hose, using a pink woven cord for the hose and little red toy fire trucks in their Fukushima plant model mockup... Their rendering of blasted Reactor No. 3 really looks like the real thing!!!

Gotta love Japanese TV... I'd really like to meet whomever it is who builds those things... :D

Tokyo%20FD%20Demo.jpg?psid=1

So at those other airports that flagged the Japanese arrivals, what would they have been detecting from the Fukushima reactors that would have been different (or more) from elevated radiation associated with high altitude jet travel???

Particulates, such as cesium/iodine that get on the surface of the plane and are carried with it. The other is cosmic(gamma/xray) radiation/electromagnetic radiation and can not be carried.

I like your explanation much better, much less unwarranted, unnecessary antagonism and irrelevance in it from the one above it..

Get over yourself mate - really. Just because you didnt like a little joke meant for John - despite what you may think - it has nothing to do with you.

Now look who needs to get over himself..................... MATE.................... I hadn't realized this forum or this thread was just for you and John I'm certain George would be happy to hear about that....Excuse my intrusion on your love affair..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I took a shower in my passive solar heated outdoor shower today (one of 3). Lovely, thanks. The main components are 20 litre re-cycled metal cannisters - painted black. The whole set up cost about Bt.1,000. Sure beats getting shower water heated by electricity EGAT buys from Laos. And if EGAT get their way, we'll soon have shower water heated by electricity form nuclear plants - each plant needing to put aside a bit less than a half million dollars per day - just for decommissioning costs - and that's assuming nothing goes wrong during their 30 year lifetime - hardy har har chortle :(

Jd, you should have seen the NHK evening news models tonight... You would have been beside yourself...

Complete with the Tokyo FD commander showing how they laid their water hose, using a pink woven cord for the hose and little red toy fire trucks in their Fukushima plant model mockup... Their rendering of blasted Reactor No. 3 really looks like the real thing!!!

Gotta love Japanese TV... I'd really like to meet whomever it is who builds those things... :D

Tokyo%20FD%20Demo.jpg?psid=1

reminds me on pokemon and other japanese cartoons.

Kudos to brahmburgers! I, too, have an outdoor shower here in BKK, under the banana trees. We haven't had hot water in our house since we bought it 20 years ago. Water is always ambient temp, plenty warm enough. In the countryside where it gets much colder, solar showers would rule!