International community condemns murder of Israeli family of 5

News_Editor

International community condemns murder of Israeli family of 5

2011-03-13 14:42:34 GMT+7 (ICT)

JERUSALEM (BNO NEWS) -- The international community has strongly condemned an attack in the West Bank on early Saturday morning that left five Israeli settlers killed.

The attack happened just after midnight on Saturday when five Israeli settlers were stabbed to death in the Itamar settlement near the West Bank city of Nablus. The victims included a 3-year-old and a one-month-old baby.

In New York, the Middle East Quartet which consists of the United Nations, the European Union, the Russian Federation and the United States, said it condemns the murders in the "strongest possible terms."

"The Quartet offers their condolences to the loved ones of the victims and to the Israeli people. Attacks on any civilians are completely unacceptable in any circumstance," the group said in a statement, emphasizing the need to expedite efforts to achieve Israeli-Palestinian and comprehensive Arab-Israeli peace. "The Quartet calls on those responsible to be brought to justice."

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney also condemned the attack and offered the administration's condolences to the family of the victims. "There is no possible justification for the killing of parents and children in their home. We call on the Palestinian Authority to unequivocally condemn this terrorist attack and for the perpetrators of this heinous crime to be held accountable," Carney said.

As called for by Carney and other foreign leaders, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas later condemned the attack in a statement released by his office. He "stressed his rejection and condemnation of all violence directed against civilians, regardless of who was behind it or the reason for it." Abbas also stressed that "violence produces violence and what is needed is to speed up a just and comprehensive solution to the conflict."

Meanwhile, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said she was "shocked and deeply saddened" to learn of the attack. "To kill three innocent children and their parents while they sleep is an inhuman crime for which there can be no justification," she said. "Israeli security forces have launched a thorough investigation and we look to the Palestinian authorities to assist in every way possible."

The al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, the armed wing of the Palestinian Fatah movement, has claimed responsibility for the attack. It said "this heroic operation" is part of the "natural response to the massacres of the fascist occupation against our people in the West Bank and Gaza Strip."

United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon also condemned the act. "He calls for the perpetrators to be brought to justice, and for all to act with restraint," his spokesman said in a statement.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-03-13

This is a statement by Hammas, and then they want to talk peace and blame Israel?

"The reports that five Israelis were killed is not sufficient to warrant arrests," Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said.

"We at Hamas completely oppose settlers who murder and commit crimes against our people the Palestinians," he continued.

Fayyad 'firmly condemns' Itamar terror attack

By JPOST.COM STAFF 03/12/2011 13:41

"We oppose violence," PA prime minister says in reaction to murder of 5 in W. Bank settlement; Hamas accuses PA of arresting its members.

Palestinian Authority Prime Minister Salam Fayyad announced on Saturday that he "clearly and firmly" condemned the terror attack in Itamar in which a married couple and their three children were murdered.

"We oppose violence and condemn its use," Fayyad said. "It does not matter what the reasons were, who the victims were and what the aim was."

http://www.jpost.com/MiddleEast/Article.aspx?id=211814&R=R3

"We oppose violence," PA prime minister says in reaction to murder of 5 in W. Bank settlement; Hamas accuses PA of arresting its members.

Palestinian Authority Prime Minister Salam Fayyad announced on Saturday that he "clearly and firmly" condemned the terror attack in Itamar in which a married couple and their three children were murdered.

"We oppose violence and condemn its use," Fayyad said. "It does not matter what the reasons were, who the victims were and what the aim was."

http://www.jpost.com...?id=211814&R=R3

Shame Hammas does not and rather celebrates it

http://www.jpost.com...?id=211814&R=R3

Shame Hammas does not and rather celebrates it

Celebrates it?

Celebrates! :bah:

Gaza residents from the southern city of Rafah hit the streets Saturday to celebrate the terror attack in the West Bank settlement of Itamar where five family members were murdered in their sleep, including three children. http://www.ynetnews....4041106,00.html

Any other sources for it?

Any evidence to doubt this source or evidence of being otherwise?

Gaza residents from the southern city of Rafah hit the streets Saturday to celebrate the terror attack in the West Bank settlement of Itamar where five family members were murdered in their sleep, including three children. http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4041106,00.html

this whole thing sounds like a conspiracy theory to me :whistling:

Gaza residents from the southern city of Rafah hit the streets Saturday to celebrate the terror attack in the West Bank settlement of Itamar where five family members were murdered in their sleep, including three children. http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4041106,00.html

Can I recommend the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, I think it might be to your taste. :sick:

What's the point? I have news for you, dude. Some Israelis are a LOT fascist. Some Israelis are communist. In a democracy, there is a breadth of ideologies. You can say the same thing about many countries. What gets dirty is when people see Jewish fascists, and they most certainly do exist, and make the idiotic jump to conclude that all Jews/Israelis feel that way. It is fair to say the Hamas government and Israel are not friends at the moment.

Gaza war tourism - Keren Levy: I'm a little bit fascist

A little bit :offtopic: aren't we considering the OT is the international community condemning cold blooded murder, but I guess you knew that very well indeed. :annoyed:

Could not find a "Gaza residents from the southern city of Rafah celebrate the attack" video. So i took related footage.

Gaza war tourism - Keren Levy: I'm a little bit fascist

A little bit :offtopic: aren't we considering the OT is the international community condemning cold blooded murder, but I guess you knew that very well indeed. :annoyed:

Could not find a "Gaza residents from the southern city of Rafah celebrate the attack" video. So i took related footage.

You must be blind. Here's a tip, google 'Gaza residents celebrate attack'

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/family_butchered_PnU3b12HF2Xn2M1WxR7WeK

Can I recommend the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, I think it might be to your taste. :sick:

no no, actually hearing about this is much more to my taste :clap2:

UN General Assembly Hosting Anti-Israel Film Premiere

The feature film Miral, a “relentlessly” pro-Palestinian and anti- Israel story, will be premiered on Monday night March 14th 2011 in the main hall of the UN General Assembly, in what is believed to be the first feature film premiere to be held there.

The film, directed by American Julian Schnabel, is an adaptation of his Haifa-born girlfriend Rula Jebreal’s 2004 novel about a Palestinian orphan growing up amid ethnic hatred and violence, mainly perpetrated by Israeli authorities. :bah:

“I felt it was my responsibility to [turn] Rula’s book into a film,” Schnabel told reporters in Venice in September, according to the New York Post. “And I thought that I would have something – coming from my background as an American Jewish person whose mother was the president of Hadassah in 1948 – I figured I was a pretty good person to tell the other side.”

A member of the Israeli delegation to the UN who had seen the film told The Jerusalem Post on Sunday that the film is “scandalous.”

“There’s no historic context, not at all, nothing,” the diplomat said, noting that the film was laden with instances of Israeli cruelty to Palestinians. “You can see us bombing a house in the film, but you don’t see why – maybe this was the house of a suicide bomber that killed 30 Israelis. We don’t know.”

Sources said that invitations were sent out on Thursday afternoon for the Monday night screening. Members of the Israeli delegation said the decision to screen a feature film in the General Assembly hall – especially such a dramatically pro-Palestinian and anti-Israeli film – was a “horrible” one.

The decision seems to have been made unilaterally by Switzerland’s Joseph Deiss, the General Assembly’s president.

Asked whether the showing would be particularly inappropriate following the slayings in Itamar on Friday night, UN spokesperson Jean- Victor Nkolo told the Post Sunday that Deiss condemns “in the strongest possible terms the murder of the Israeli family in the West Bank.”

However, Nkolo said, it is the UN’s hope that the film “will show the state of children in conflict.”

Nkolo said Deiss had seen the film and thought it would be “conducive to a discussion of children in conflict.”

Nkolo said he believes other films have been shown in the General Assembly hall, recalling one on child soldiers in Africa. He did not know if a nondocumentary feature film had ever premiered there.

On Friday morning, Israel’s delegation to the UN sent a letter of complaint to Deiss, protesting his decision to host the US premiere of Miral.

In the letter, Israel’s Deputy Permanent Representative to the UN Haim Waxman wrote, “We find it very troubling that the UN has chosen to feature this film in the GA Hall. We are not aware of any other films with such contentious political content that have received this kind of endorsement from the president of the GA.”

The event, according to the Israeli delegation, “will mark a rare occasion in which the UN’s GA Hall is used for a movie premiere. This is clearly a politicized decision of the UN, one that shows poor judgment and a lack of evenhandedness.”

According to members of the Israeli delegation, various offices at the UN denied having any knowledge of the event beforehand, including the office of Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. His office did not respond to the Post’s request for comment.

Waxman said that Deiss, as president of the General Assembly, in some circumstances is independent and therefore has the prerogative to make decisions such as these.

“But the hall of the General Assembly is not his own property,” Waxman continued.

“This is the main hall of the global community and belongs to the countries of the world. Anything that happens there has to be decided with great care. We find ourselves arguing about commas here and there on every document – so how can this screening happen?” Waxman said members of the Israeli delegation met with Deiss staffers on Friday.

“We gave them a very strong piece of our mind on why we think it’s completely out of place, why this is almost bizarre and a very strange decision [that] the only time they’re sending a political movie [is] when it deals with us,” Waxman told the Post.

In his letter to Deiss, Waxman stressed that Israel fully supports and respects freedom of speech and artistic freedom.

“As you are well aware, Israel enjoys a vibrant civil society and a film industry that produces and screens films that are sometimes highly self-critical and controversial,” Waxman wrote.

However, he went on, the UN has a “clear duty to carefully select all programs that are hosted on its premises in order to maintain a spirit of impartiality.”

He added, “The screening of Miral constitutes an inappropriate use of the hall of the GA, which already deals with the Israeli-Palestinian conflict excessively and obsessively.”

American Jewish Committee executive director David Harris wrote a letter to Deiss on Friday reiterating this point, stating that showing such a film in the UN General Assembly hall “will only serve to reinforce the already widespread view that Israel simply cannot expect fair treatment in the UN.” :cheesy: :cheesy:

Harris expressed concern that “the president of the General Assembly would wish to associate himself – and the prestige of his office – with such a blatantly onesided event,” and, like the Israelis, urged Deiss to reconsider his decision.

Edited by midas

In my opinion, on the face of it, I find it a very strange decision to show it at the UN and is completely wrong.

I disagree with you Wallaby because where else will the UN members get to see ? And I think far too much has been suppressed

in the past - listen to the confession of a former Israeli Minister :o

Edited by midas

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/family_butchered_PnU3b12HF2Xn2M1WxR7WeK

AFP/GETTY was a hint to find the original source

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/110023176

Caption A Palestinian man distributes sweets in the streets of the southern Gaza Strip town of Rafah on March 12, 2011 to celebrate an attack which killed five Israeli settlers at the Itamar settlement near the West Bank city of Nablus. AFP PHOTO/SAID KHATIB (Photo credit should read SAID KHATIB/AFP/Getty Images)

Don't looks really like a celebration but smells a little bit staged. One(!) dude hands out some sweets to others, using the moment of surprise to get a photo.

AFP/GETTY was a hint to find the original source

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/110023176

Caption A Palestinian man distributes sweets in the streets of the southern Gaza Strip town of Rafah on March 12, 2011 to celebrate an attack which killed five Israeli settlers at the Itamar settlement near the West Bank city of Nablus. AFP PHOTO/SAID KHATIB (Photo credit should read SAID KHATIB/AFP/Getty Images)

Don't looks really like a celebration but smells a little bit staged. One(!) dude hands out some sweets to others, using the moment of surprise to get a photo.

Simply post something, besides your own private doubts, that it did not happen.

Indeed.

Peace will come when the Arabs start to love their children more than they hate us.
Golda Meir

How arrogant and disrespectful of Lady Colonialist, pretty racist and a dumb platitude.

Seems no source, no quote, no fact, no history will ever be good enough for you.

Anything and everything is Israel's fault while everyone and anyone else is not to blame or could ever do wrong

Your opinion is the unbiased opinion and to support your so called opinion you will post useless and irrelevant links.

Abbas, Fayyad, US, Quartet Condemn Settler Murders

Ramallah PNN - Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas joined PM Salaam Fayyad and prominent voices in condemning the murder of five Israeli settlersincluding a three-month-old babyin the illegal settlement of Itamar, near Nablus in the northern West Bank.

A human being is not capable of something like that, Abbas told Israeli Radio on Monday. Scenes like thesethe murder of infants and children and a woman slaughteredcause any person endowed with humility to hurt and cry.

http://english.pnn.ps/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9704&Itemid=29

Edited by metisdead
Edited for fair use.