"oil" Or "oy"?

RDN

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never heard of anyone called Ple :o

Which part of the world does this come from?

Thailand

I have known a lot of "Ple"s.

Comes from the word "apple"

Sometimes it is pronounced "pen", other times "pill"

Now I understand, if it had been written as "Pen", I would have recognised it as a Thai name. I would also have had a clue if it had been written "Pel"

Thailand

Now I understand, if it had been written as "Pen", I would have recognised it as a Thai name. I would also have had a clue if it had been written "Pel"

There IS a popular Thai nickname 'Pen', but it is spelled this way and pronounced differently from 'Ple'.

Thailand

There IS a popular Thai nickname 'Pen', but it is spelled this way and pronounced differently from 'Ple'.

This is getting rather confusing, isn't it?

I thought "turtle" was "dao" or "dow" :o

Yes, Turtle in Thai is "thao" (some write "dtao") and is used to describe the 21st consonant of the Thai alphabet ตอ เต่า and it is pronounced more with "TH"sound than with a "D" sound, even though some call (or write) it as a "DT" sound (because of the position of the tongue when pronounced, I think, but can't recall at the moment!).

I was taught more of a "TH" sound by Thai Monks.

ตอ เต่า

Your sincerely,

Mr. Farang

Edited by Mr. Farang

I thought "turtle" was "dao" or "dow" :o

Yes, Turtle in Thai is "thao" (some write "dtao") and is used to describe the 21st consonant of the Thai alphabet ตอ เต่า and it is pronounced more with "TH"sound than with a "D" sound, even though some call (or write) it as a "DT" sound (because of the position of the tongue when pronounced, I think, but can't recall at the moment!).

I was taught more of a "TH" sound by Thai Monks.

ตอ เต่า

No, its written 'DT' because it is voiceless, like English 't', but unaspirated (no puff of air or prolonged lack of vibrations of vocal cords), like English 'd' but unlike English 't' at the start of a monosyllable. Those of us with an international outlook on spelling accept the standard 'tao', chosen because 'tau' or 'taw' is too likeley to have the vowel badly mispronounced.

I trust you will agree it is quite different to the genuine 'TH' sounds - those of syllable initial (prototypical across Southern Asia) and (for which the TH sound is essentially a Siamese-Lao development).

It's a bit of a red herring, as Meadish was talking about the *English* word 'turtle'. I must confess I didn't know the English word was used in Thai.

I trust you will agree it is quite different to the genuine 'TH' sounds - those of syllable initial (prototypical across Southern Asia) and (for which the TH sound is essentially a Siamese-Lao development).

It's a bit of a red herring, as Meadish was talking about the *English* word 'turtle'.  I must confess I didn't know the English word was used in Thai.

:o

Dear Khun Richard,

Here is the link to the consonant ตอ เต่า , with audio file for pronounciation. I agree with our joint "moot point" that ตอ เต่า, is not pronounced exactly like the sharply aspirated English "TH". On the other hand, Thais taught it to me as much closer "TH" than "DT" or "D" and I just listed to the audio file and it still sounds like "TH" to me, laughing out loud. PS: I tried to upload the .WMA audio file of ตอ เต่า, but could not upload directly, sorry; but the link above has a good audio of good quality.

I also confess also I had rarely heard the English world "Turtle" used in Thailand, until after the movie, "Teenage Mutant Ninga Turtles" and then I heard the familar Thai pronounciation, "Turten" used a bit. As far as the English word "Apple" I have heard that word used by Thais for as long as I can remember, as "Appen" (both worlds have ending "L" prounounced as a final "N".), but have never heard "PLE" used as a Thai nickname.

Cheers!

Yours sincerely,

Mr. Farang

It's a bit of a red herring, as Meadish was talking about the *English* word 'turtle'.  I must confess I didn't know the English word was used in Thai.

:o

Dear Khun Richard,

Here is the link to the consonant ตอ เต่า , with audio file for pronounciation. I agree with our joint "moot point" that ตอ เต่า, is not pronounced exactly like the sharply aspirated English "TH". On the other hand, Thais taught it to me as much closer "TH" than "DT" or "D" and I just listed to the audio file and it still sounds like "TH" to me, laughing out loud. PS: I tried to upload the .WMA audio file of ตอ เต่า, but could not upload directly, sorry; but the link above has a good audio of good quality.

I also confess also I had rarely heard the English world "Turtle" used in Thailand, until after the movie, "Teenage Mutant Ninga Turtles" and then I heard the familar Thai pronounciation, "Turten" used a bit. As far as the English word "Apple" I have heard that word used by Thais for as long as I can remember, as "Appen" (both worlds have ending "L" prounounced as a final "N".), but have never heard "PLE" used as a Thai nickname.

Cheers!

Yours sincerely,

Mr. Farang

Richard is fully correct about the pronunciation of ต.

And yes, I did mean the English word 'turtle', but pronounced according to Thai rules, 'thurdten' (or similar... difficult to transcribe so everyone will understand what I mean).

If this is not how they managed to fit the sound "dun" with the spelling "tle", I am still at a loss as to where the spelling is derived from.

I used to spell my name like this  ไมเคิล์ where the garund indicated it to be a foreign word and to pronounce the ล as "L".  However a Thai friend said it doesn't need the garund and should be just ไมเคิล. So my business card has the latter spelling on it now.

So what is my name? :o  and which spelling do you think is correct.

Your friend is right. ไมเคิล is the ONLY way to write. End of discussion!

ไมเคิล์ is so un-Thai and unconventional that it will create more problem than help. It can even be argued that you cannot pronounce ไมเคิล์ ! I won't try to go into the linguistic theories, but I strongly suggest that you don't give this version any further consideration.

:D

Thailand

I have heard of girls named 'ple', as in apple. It is taken from the English word apple, with the spelling in Thai as really the 2nd part of the word 'apple', i.e. เปิ้ล=ple (from แิิิอปเปิ้ล=apple). However, the pronunciation among Thais is slightly adapted to make it easy for the Thai tongue as closer to 'pe®n'. It would be very unnatural for Thais to pronounce as 'ple' (as in apple), ending with an 'L'.