Advice On Internantiona Schools

@all

I struggle with a decision which i have to made sooner or later. I am a german citizen with a Thai girlfriend and we have a 3 year old son. Kindergarten will start soon for him.

At least for the next 3 years i do not have a plan to move both of them to my current work place, Belgium. Currently i see my son every 2 month for around 2 weeks and in the europe winter period for 4 weeks. The main language in our familiy when i am in Thailand is english. Even not being a native english speaker the quality in the "discusssions" is mainly driven from me. My girfriend speaks average english.

I know the school fees in Bangkok and they are noticed by me as discusting but actually i could afford them.

The problem i have is that i don't know which system seem to be the best for my son. So i am seeking advice.

Option 1: He attends a thai school with english as a second language

Option 2: He attends an International School such as NIST with German as a second language

Option 3. He attends an International school with english only

Option 4: He attends an International school with german as primary language e.g. DsSB

What he can do now with 3 years is a little bit of everything, he counts till 20 in german and english, does that in thai and isaan too. In majority i notice that he use english words as he pick them up during conversations with my girlfriend when i am in Thailand.

A house would be chosen when possible near the school which i made my decision for, budget per month for housing around 45k -65k. Where this is the amount that i am willing to pay. More could be afforded but i am reluctant to pay.

My girlfriend passed the A1 exam in german but honestly that's not really good for communication above the average.

As mentioned above money is something to consider but my employer might pay up to 65% of the fees.

So if there is anybody in the same situation i would love to hear their thoughts and experiences.

Looking forward rto replies.

LOL, i messed up the topic and afaik no chance to edit, mai bpen rai :-)

Cheers,

Morpheus

Edited by Morpheus73

Clearly option 2 is the best one (if you can afford it).

Keep in mind though that they are VERY selective, your child will be THOROUGHLY tested and observed and any inclination that the child will need any special services, has any behavior issues, or just isn't smart enough to keep up, the child will be rejected. They will have no qualms about telling you this.

That particular school as well as a small handfull of others do not need your enrollment in any shape or form. The waiting list for Thais is 10 years.

That being said, if you can get in that is the one to go for.

@Kilgore

Thx for your reply. Yes i have heard that they are upscale and selective. With those fees it is clear that they won't have to take everybody. I would have to look first anyway and i do have my problems with such selections. I believe in education as an open source. Equal chances for everybody. Of course aware that this might only exist in Utopia.

And if my son would be just not smart enough for them then he would be of course still my son, no problem to say that to them as well in context of rejecting him.

I made my way as well without any upscale, fancy education and got quite a good job. But tha'ts not the topic.

I will be in June in TH again and check out a few of the places and assess the mental state of my son :whistling:

Maybe i can safe the taxi fee already, LOL.

Anyway thanks for your thoughts they are highly appreciated.

Cheers,

Sascha

I am sort of in the same situation although I live in Phuket.

My son is 5, and: Thai first, American second, Issan third.

Right now, I have him in Montessori school. (which i believe is important at this age)

The big dilemma is where will he live when he is 20+.

NO one knows. Certainly I don't.

If I thought he would be happy to live in Thailand the rest of his life, I would send him to Thai school.

he will pick up enough English from me and movies and the little that Thai school offers but, certainly not enough to enter an American university.

If he wants to go to university someday in Thailand, he needs to have good Thai language skills in reading and writing as well as speaking of course.

For now, he is learning how to think and learn and work things out. That's good.

In a year or two, I will have to make my decision.

I might just let him try each one (international, and good quality Thai school) for a few years so that he can have all the skills.

But I'm afraid he might not have the one he needs later.

Tough decisions. I think either way, he will turn out ok though.

Good luck with your decision.

I would put him into an English language international school. He will learn Thai at home and when he moves to Belgium with you, he will learn German in school. (Are there German language schools in Belgium?). Learning English at a young age will give him more options later in life.

@fiddlehead

I definetly feel with you and i struggle a lot of times with decisions to made. Of course i just want the best for him but it is so hard to decide what that will be. Somtimes i just calm myself down wit the fact that he for sure gets all my love. But that does not bring the food later on the plate of course.

@otherstuff

Yes you can find German schools in Belgium indeed. The EU is there and a lot of diplomats which require to have their kids in schools where they teach the mother-tongue of their home country. Apart from this i work for an organization which does offer that as well.

I guess time will show and i just flow with that and see what happens.

Thx all of you

Cheers,

Morpheus

Keep in mind though that they are VERY selective, your child will be THOROUGHLY tested and observed and any inclination that the child will need any special services, has any behavior issues, or just isn't smart enough to keep up, the child will be rejected. They will have no qualms about telling you this.

That particular school as well as a small handfull of others do not need your enrollment in any shape or form. The waiting list for Thais is 10 years.

The rigorous testing will involve seeing if your check clears at the bank ;)

The rigorous testing will involve seeing if your check clears at the bank ;)

LOL @Som Tum Tiger

yeah, was sure that this is one of their tests. I have seen the diplomats schools in Bruessels and there are as well kids which might be not mental flexible enough still doing their classes there. Would suprise me if in a country like Thailand money isn't able to open doors.

As said, just because it is expensive and Jackie Chan or Oliver Stone drops my to receive their pay checks after some speech in the auditorium doesn't make it a good school. Yes they have a lot of facilities gym, sport fields etc.. But i prefer to go to th beach with my son anyway.

I will see what comes and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Morpheus

I think each of the initial four options have serious drawbacks - the most important factor in a young child's life is the presence of both parents, some stability, and for the kid to see his dad for short periods isn't ever the ideal situation, no matter how much money you throw at a school. The ages of 3-6 are so crucial, that's when children's personalities develop, certainly up to age 7 there is phenomenal and swift cognitive development markedly different from any other age. I don't know what factors are preventing a move for the family to Belgium, but that would be best option, not a Thai International School.

I think culture is the most important factor and would suggest option 4 - a German school as a distant second to relocating.

@aussiebebe

:unsure: There is not much to respond to what you have written. It is more than valid. Honestly i am just a little bit scared that the relationship might not work in the same good way.

I personally can feel nearly every where home but i doubt that this is a capability which isn't inherited in a lot of thai people. As you can imagine i have already problems with the fact that i can't daily share my life with both of them. This is just the emotional factor and the development of my son even comes on top of that.

I think i will have to sort that out sooner or later with my girlfriend. If a relationship is strong it shouldn't be a problem. In theory.

Thx to share your thoughts!

Cheers,

Morpheus

Your choice in education should fit with the longer term plan for your family. If he will ultimately be in a German speaking environment, then he should be taking subject material in German.

Because someone can speak a language does not mean they can learn in the language.

I am sort of in the same situation although I live in Phuket.

My son is 5, and: Thai first, American second, Issan third.

Right now, I have him in Montessori school. (which i believe is important at this age)

The big dilemma is where will he live when he is 20+.

NO one knows. Certainly I don't.

If I thought he would be happy to live in Thailand the rest of his life, I would send him to Thai school.

he will pick up enough English from me and movies and the little that Thai school offers but, certainly not enough to enter an American university.

If he wants to go to university someday in Thailand, he needs to have good Thai language skills in reading and writing as well as speaking of course.

For now, he is learning how to think and learn and work things out. That's good.

In a year or two, I will have to make my decision.

I might just let him try each one (international, and good quality Thai school) for a few years so that he can have all the skills.

But I'm afraid he might not have the one he needs later.

Tough decisions. I think either way, he will turn out ok though.

Good luck with your decision.

I started my daughter off at the Montessori school but felt the Phililipino teachers were lacking so we moved her to Dulwich ( now BIS) then when she was 12 moved her to a small school that was run by friends for 18 months. That closed and she returned to BIS for a year before she went to the states for a year ( 9th grade) now she is back here at QSI but come june we are moving back to the states for her to do her senior year in Ca. The on to a university in CA.

The most important thing you can give ur child is an education. So it all depends on how much $$ u have and also where u intend on your child attending college and living. For to raise a thai/farang child as a Farang and then send them to a college in thailand u wasted ur money as they will always recieve a job hired as a thai and the degree she gets inThailand will be worthless outside the country.

PS; my daughter can speak fluent thai but can barely read it.

Hello everyone.....

My name is Carla and My family and I are Brazilian.....we are looking for a good international school, for our son William, he is 9 and until now he was studying at a bilingual school, but we know that now is time to change, so could you please give us some advises what is the best international boarding school in Bangkok?

He LOVES sport and we visit already Patana, Harrow and Regent school.

Thank you....

i´d keep his german, because everyone speaks english and it will be a huge profit for him later in life. just be sure there is enough german lessons, 1-2 lessons in the afternoon per week will not get him on the proficiency level.

Hello everyone.....

My name is Carla and My family and I are Brazilian.....we are looking for a good international school, for our son William, he is 9 and until now he was studying at a bilingual school, but we know that now is time to change, so could you please give us some advises what is the best international boarding school in Bangkok?

Thank you....

Harrow, Patana, Regents, St. Andrews, Shrewsbury, NIST..........all good schools.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone.....

Thank you....

Harrow, Patana, Regents, St. Andrews, Shrewsbury, NIST..........all good schools.

Hi Carla,

Patana is not a boarding school, not sure if you really require boarding? If not why don't you come and visit KIS? I love the school (even though I work there and I am just a little biased!!).