The Moat In Cm

middlepath

Wondering, inside the moat, how many a sq km or miles is it?

Or distance from end to end, each side?

Thanks, MP

E-W 1 mile (1.6km), N-S .98 miles (1.58km). From Google Earth measurements.

More precisely:

N-S 5,151.45 feet (1,590.16 meters) E-W 5,319.5 feet (1,621.38 meters)

Edited by tywais

Should take care of the "not square".

I thought that would get a bite & I should qualify it a bit better, but the road around the outside of moat is not square. It is significantly "un square." You might find this hard to believe, but go & GPS it with 20 metre tracking nodes & it's not square! The water filled moat itself must be pretty close, but the road certainly aint & I was schocked myself the first time I GPS-ed the outside road & had to do it several times.

I thought that would get a bite & I should qualify it a bit better, but the road around the outside of moat is not square. It is significantly "un square." You might find this hard to believe, but go & GPS it with 20 metre tracking nodes & it's not square! The water filled moat itself must be pretty close, but the road certainly aint & I was schocked myself the first time I GPS-ed the outside road & had to do it several times.

Yes I realize it is not square, my original post indicates that by N-S E-W non-symmetry in the answers. However the "path method" in google follows the driving route and should be accurate. Of course it depends on how accurate Google Earth's scaling factors are.

Top of map E-W 1622.51 meters, bottom E-W 1604.87 meters, left of map N-S 1584.47 meters and right of map N-S is 1569.0 meters. Difference of about 18 meters and 15 meters respectively.

Now the question is to the OP, enough information yet? :o

Well it all depends as to what time of the day you are drivng around the moat and just how many Mae Khong drinks or beers you have imbibed. If you stop to chat late night with somone just north of Thapae Gate things may not be as "straight" as they seem.

Yes I realize it is not square, my original post indicates that by N-S E-W non-symmetry in the answers. However the "path method" in google follows the driving route and should be accurate. Of course it depends on how accurate Google Earth's scaling factors are.

Top of map E-W 1622.51 meters, bottom E-W 1604.87 meters, left of map N-S 1584.47 meters and right of map N-S is 1569.0 meters. Difference of about 18 meters and 15 meters respectively.

Now the question is to the OP, enough information yet? :o

FYI, when reporting numeric data it is best to only report the numbers to the accuracy of the measurement...for example...you report that the top of map measurement is 1622.51 meters....this means that you are confident that the exact measurement is within +/- 5 mm.....probably you are not really able to measure that accurately from this map...if you had reported 1622.5 meters it would mean that you are confident that the exact measurement is with +/-5cm...you are probably not able to measure that accurately either...if you had reported 1622 meters it would mean that you are confident that the exact measurement is within +/-50cm....this is probably getting close to the best accuracy you could expect from a map like this.

It must be pretty boring up there in CM me thinks....

Yes indeed! It is really really boring in the north....the north sucks...better to just stay around Bangkok and the coast where there's lots of fun stuff to keep you from getting bored....the south is definitely much more interesting....definitely not the north....definitely....

Johpa ol buddy it used to be Mae khong but it aint anymore (that used to be old dinosaur days of the Pig Pen / Cottage). Now I'm a lot older & (less?) "wiser" but a Jameson's man. The hours of business are still the same = I'm a night time kinda guy, although a lot of that has to do with the girlfriend singer keeping me up & out late.

Currently the N-W inside of the gate would seem to be the most bent, but it does vary from month to month.

None of this however detracts from the fact that the road around the outside of the moat is not square, or the fact that I still can ride a motorbike in a straight line (most nights.)

Now after a more intense checking of my Cnx GPS tracks I note that the road around the inside of the moat is pretty much 1.6 kms wide / long all the way around. And yes this means it could indeed be square! This measurement would also appear to be taken at ground level & not from a few hundred kilometers above the earth, where a few mms out could be meters or even kms out, so I reckon it might be alright.

<deleted> life in Cnx really is boring at times, so tomorrow off to Laos & GPSing some more of the countryside……..no need for google earth on your motorbike. I just hope I can see the right tracks....

"Johpa ol buddy it used to be Mae khong but it aint anymore (that used to be old dinosaur days of the Pig Pen / Cottage). Now I'm a lot older & (less?) "wiser" but a Jameson's man. The hours of business are still the same = I'm a night time kinda guy, although a lot of that has to do with the girlfriend singer keeping me up & out late.

Currently the N-W inside of the gate would seem to be the most bent, but it does vary from month to month.

None of this however detracts from the fact that the road around the outside of the moat is not square, or the fact that I still can ride a motorbike in a straight line (most nights.)

Now after a more intense checking of my Cnx GPS tracks I note that the road around the inside of the moat is pretty much 1.6 kms wide / long all the way around. And yes this means it could indeed be square! This measurement would also appear to be taken at ground level & not from a few hundred kilometers above the earth, where a few mms out could be meters or even kms out, so I reckon it might be alright.

<deleted> life in Cnx really is boring at times, so tomorrow off to Laos & GPSing some more of the countryside……..no need for google earth on your motorbike. I just hope I can see the right tracks...."

The GT king has spoking... I feel honerd to have you respond since i am the OP.

Can not wait some day to ride along with you on one of your "loops" . Ride a 1150 RT daily. Not sure what i will get in LOS..African Twin? Can't wait.....