Moving To Chaingmai With Daughter

roamp

I am planning to move to Chiangmai with my eleven year old daughter. I am thinking of homeschooling her along with hiring local tutors. I understand it would cost US$300-400 for her to attend an international school, which is more than I can afford. On my last trip to Chiangmai someone suggested I send her to a public Thai school. Any advice on the available options would be helpful.

Also, is there anything I need to know about visas for children. I may try to get one year retirement visa, but don't think I can qualify.

Any advice on bringing a child to Chiangmai would be most appreciated.

Edited by roamp

There is rather a lot riding on the answers to your questions here. Not least the future of your daughter. Please take knowledgable advice before you ultimately commit yourself. I find it extremely worrying that you state you are unable to afford the $300 to $400 per annum it would cost to school her in an international school. Thai schools are much cheaper, but the quality of education for one neither Thai, nor intending to spend their life in Thailand is questionable, to say the least.

Children's visa status is generally tied to their parents' visa status. If you have an annual visa, she will do so also. Alternatively, if she is enrolled in an International school, she will be able to get an education visa for the duration of her schooling.

Please, I beg of you, get some good advice before you commit to this.

If you are American you might consider contacting the consulate in Chiang Mai. I know that in the past some families connected with the consulate and the DET were doing home schooling.

Also to depress you further you will need to add a zero to the cost of International Schooling.

Suggest you do a Forum-Search on schooling, as there are several useful threads on this.

Top cost might be 300k-400k Baht pa, but there are less-expensive international schools here, certainly Chiang Mai has a good selection of schools for overseas-children, I suspect 2nd only to Bangkok within Thailand.

The decent private education schools in the area are rather expensive and you should enquire as to whether an employer is able to pay the cost. One of the reasons I had to leave Thailand was that, as a ordinary teacher, I could not afford the education for my children. I regret my decision now as the public education they receive here in the US is only marginally better then some of the Thai public schools. But this was well before the current times where work visas for IT and other types of work became easily obtainable for decent paying jobs.

If you can afford the cost of the private English curriculums then go for it, otherwise purchase home school textbooks to bring with you. Remember that English library services are limited (I don't know if they have upgraded the old small USIS library) and that the travelers bookstores have little to engage a young mind.

Sorry, I meant $300-400 per month. Per annum would be no problem.

I am planning to move to Chiangmai with my eleven year old daughter.  I am thinking of homeschooling her along with hiring local tutors.  I understand it would cost US$300-400 for her to attend an international school, which is more than I can afford.  On my last trip to Chiangmai someone suggested I send her to a public Thai school.  Any advice on the available options would be helpful.

Also, is there anything I need to know about visas for children.  I may try to get one year retirement visa, but don't think I can qualify.

Then there's the whole social aspect.. I bet that's important for an 11 year old. Have you asked HER if she's looking forward to going to a Thai public school? Also last time I checked, in order to get a diploma you need to be on a Thai house registration document.

And frankly, if $400 is an issue for you then you have no business retiring anywhere as long as your daughter still depends on you. And you did get health & life insurance right? Or?

I am planning to move to Chiangmai with my eleven year old daughter.  I am thinking of homeschooling her along with hiring local tutors.  I understand it would cost US$300-400 for her to attend an international school, which is more than I can afford.  On my last trip to Chiangmai someone suggested I send her to a public Thai school.  Any advice on the available options would be helpful.

Also, is there anything I need to know about visas for children.  I may try to get one year retirement visa, but don't think I can qualify.

I have my oldest daughter attending Nakorn Payap International School, which is costing around $3750/yr, not including the one-time fee for registration of around another grand and the $60/month for the school bus. If you think these costs are high, then don't bother looking at the schools in Bangkok or Chonburi which are around 150-200% higher

She is receiving an excellent education from a predominatly Western Staff.

Now, she attended Thai school for 1st grade (She is Thai) but the quality of education wasn't up to Western standards, unless you like using a system of rote repitition.

I would consider your daughter in this decision, most Thai children do not speak English, so friendships will be harder for your daughter. This could end up being a real lonely school year.

My son attended Thai public school for what would have been his summer vacation in the US when he was 15. Even though he did not come to Thailand knowing much if any Thai he was able to get a lot out of this experience and make many friends. It was also good that two of his aunts were teachers in the town and his mom used to teach in there too. He thought the way they taught math was better than what he got in the US (Maryland).

I wish he would now consider going to Webster University in Thailand and get his degree in International Business.

Assuming your son does not speak Thai, how did your son deal with the presumably Thai-speaking educators?

My son attended Thai public school for what would have been his summer vacation in the US when he was 15.  Even though he did not come to Thailand knowing much if any Thai he was able to get a lot out of this experience and make many friends.  It was also good that two of his aunts were teachers in the town and his mom used to teach in there too.  He thought the way they taught math was better than what he got in the US (Maryland).

I wish he would now consider going to Webster University in Thailand and get his degree in International Business.

Pat,

I'm American and 55. I used to live in Hong Kong. I've traveled worldwide extensively, especially to Thailand and the Philippines. I'm semi-retired and am interested in doing some writing or some business in Chiang Mai or elsewhere in Thailand. Is Chiangmai or Chiang Mai the official name? You see it both ways. I'm planning on traveling often to Cambodia and Laos.

What is your nationality and age Roamp ?

-----------

I feel for your situation, Roamp. IMO I think your best situation is to do home-schooling, and use some local tutors as you originally thought. I am less concerned with speaking Thai for you daughter. I knew an Englishman’s daughter who spoke such fluent Thai after a year’s stay in Thailand. She learned much Thai from her house maid! With home schooling, she can study in English all the way, and attend an English curriculum-College later. If she gets to learn much Thai, she may have an option to go to a Thai public school at a later year, after a period of adjustment. I have good faith in a young child’s ability in learning and adjustment.

There is an issue with going to a Thai public school. The curriculum includes both sequential materials and new materials. One needs certain background from previous grades.

Being somewhat familiar with both the Thai and US public shcools, I would approve either. As long as it is a decent school, and the student really understands the subject matter well.

BTW I am not sure if there is such thing as “official” spelling for the city name. The deal is the name is written as Chiangmai in Thai. Thai language strings 2 words (chiang and mai) together. Word separation as spelled in Chiang Mai is an English concept, not Thai. So a thai person likely is more prone to write Chiangmai, while an English-thinking (some Thais and Westerners alike) may write it as Chiang Mai. So which version you encounter may depends on who writes it.

Good luck!

Does anyone know of any English language private schools in Chiang Mai that use local Thai instructors?  I thought such a school might be a viable alternative to the more expensive international schools with expat instructors.

There will not be any, although the closest might be Montford.

Thailand, unlike many other countries in the region, (and elsewhere) encourages locals to send their children to international schools. This is why there are seven international schools in Chiang Mai alone. A city far too small to support such a number without local Thai students. I fear Thai parents would not be willing to pay international school fees to a school where the teachers were not themselves foreign. Furthermore, Thais who speak sufficiently fluent English and have recognised qualifications from overseas would, in general, not be willing to work for the salaries ofered teachers.

I think there are private schools with Thai teachers in Chiang Mai, where lessons are given in Thai. Montford is one of them, right? In any case, both international and Thai private schools are run as businesses. Like any other business, their number one priority is to operate profitably, and education is -coherently- second priority. As long as the first objective is secured by enough clients paying astronomical school fees, schools can dedicate themselves fully to their education mission. But, in a low-cost setting this might not be so easy to achieve. One should be careful schools who find themselves in this predicament. There are some "bad" examples in Bangkok, where education suffers from business decisions (I don't know about Chiang Mai). Which means... private schools are not *always* the best decision.

Cheers, X-Pat

Warri (sp?), a Thai school has a respectable international section with internationally accredited teachers.

The school is somewhere in Tamboon Pa Dad, perhaps others her can proide more detail.

Compared to Nakorn Payap, class sizes are double at about 30+, but the fees are about half.

Thakkar

Does anyone know of any English language private schools in Chiang Mai that use local Thai instructors?  I thought such a school might be a viable alternative to the more expensive international schools with expat instructors.

There will not be any, although the closest might be Montford.

Thailand, unlike many other countries in the region, (and elsewhere) encourages .......Furthermore, Thais who speak sufficiently fluent English and have recognised qualifications from overseas would, in general, not be willing to work for the salaries ofered teachers.

I was amazed to see Montfort's latest ad on the ajarn dot com's jobs database. About 23,000 for an experienced teacher of English. That's pitiful wages.

i think montford is the school that thaksin, the PM, graduated from. i used to know that it was somehow related to the famous bangkok christian college (school) near sathorn rd. i imagine the quality should be acceptable by the local standard, although i do not personally know anyone graduated therefrom.

Prahatruetai (Sacred Heart) has an english stream. However it's designed for Thai kids being taught in english medium and not foreign kids. That said it's cheap relative to international and the school has a generally good repuation.

Okey, the spelling I  think is Varee

Thakkar

Google found the school below. Maybe Thakkar can confirm if this is the school mentioned.

http://www.varee.ac.th/ep.htm

http://www.varee.ac.th/

โรงเรียนวารีเชียงใหม่

เลขที่ 59 หมู่ 6 ถ.มหิดล ต.หนองหอย อ.เมือง จ.เชียงใหม่ 50000 โทร 053-285133 แฟกซ์ 053-285251

VAREE CHIANGMAI SCHOOL

59 Moo 6, Mahidol Rd., Tambol Nong Hoi

Amphur Muang, Chiangmai 50000

Phone 053-285133 Fax 053-285251

Prahatruetai (Sacred Heart) has an english stream. However it's designed for Thai kids being taught in english medium and not foreign kids. That said it's cheap relative to international and the school has a generally good repuation.

maybe it is worth checking out the various christian schools in chiangmai. i found a couple names.

also the following site may give valuable feedbacks from people who had been volunteering to teach in chiangmai.

http://www.teachabroad.com/Thailand.cfm/co...mainregionID/88

"Your search for Chiang Mai Thailand has yielded 10 results"