U.S. citizen Raymond Davis released in Pakistan, flown to London after paying 'blood money'

News_Editor

U.S. citizen Raymond Davis released in Pakistan, flown to London after paying 'blood money'

2011-03-16 19:32:41 GMT+7 (ICT)

LAHORE (BNO NEWS) -- A Pakistani court on Wednesday acquitted U.S. citizen Raymond Davis, hours after he was indicted in a double murder case that seriously damaged U.S.-Pakistani relations due to a dispute over his immunity.

The Express Tribune newspaper cited Punjab Law Minister Rana Sanaullah as saying that Davis was released and flown to London after paying 'blood money' to the families of the two victims, who were shot dead by Davis in Lahore in late January.

According to the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad, Davis was confronted by two armed men on motorcycles who attempted to rob him. "Minutes earlier, the two men, who had criminal backgrounds, had robbed money and valuables at gunpoint from a Pakistani citizen in the same area," the Embassy said, adding that Davis acted in self-defense.

Earlier on Wednesday, a Pakistani court indicted Davis in the double murder and denied statements by his lawyer that they did not trust the investigation process. Money was later paid to the families of the victims to receive a pardon.

U.S. officials had repeatedly insisted that Davis had immunity under the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations. Pakistani officials refused to recognize this, leading to outrage in the United States and severely damaging diplomatic relations.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-03-16

Btw. "blood money" means nothing else than using sharia law.

Can't wait till the fervent anti-sharia activists hit the topic.

I'm anti-Sharia but, having lived under Sharia law for about 30 years of my life, I understand the blood money concept. I just don't want it for Thailand or the US.

Again, tell us how many years you have lived with Sharia law?

I'm anti-Sharia but, having lived under Sharia law for about 30 years of my life, I understand the blood money concept. I just don't want it for Thailand or the US.

The US just used the Sharia Law. :whistling:

I don't see why my CV would have any relevance here.

The American Government can pout all it wants, but running around with a gun and a camera is clearly an abuse of the diplomatic privilege. There's no way to ever know if he was the victim of a street crime or if he initiated or caused the confrontation that led to the shootings, does anyone in their right mind think the American Government would act any differently if an alleged Pakistani diplomat had killed 2 people in America?

Politics stink but American arrogance is far worse.

The US just used the Sharia Law. :whistling:

I don't see why my CV would have any relevance here.

Some of us are simply curious how much time you have spent in the Middle East since posting on the ME threads seems to be your main source of entertainment.

It was always about the blood money. I imagine most of the blood money went to the judge and police that engineered the payoff. (The preceding sentence is strictly a supposition on my part and is not based on any known for sure, dead certain facts.)

The American Government can pout all it wants, but running around with a gun and a camera is clearly an abuse of the diplomatic privilege. There's no way to ever know if he was the victim of a street crime or if he initiated or caused the confrontation that led to the shootings, does anyone in their right mind think the American Government would act any differently if an alleged Pakistani diplomat had killed 2 people in America?

Who said the US government is pouting?

Many diplomats are authorized to carry weapons.

I never heard of a camera being a restricted item so I think most any diplomat can carry one.

I sometimes carry a camera and I am not a diplomat. Should I stop carrying my camera?

Thank you,

Signed, an arrogant American. :jap:

I would like to see this reviewed under the strict anti-corruption laws in the US. Unless I am mistaken this law was introduced specifically to prevent US citizens bribing foreign government officials or nationals.

No matter how you look at this under US law it amounts to a bribe, regardless of Pakistani or Sharia law. It would be interesting to know exactly who paid the $2.3 million.

Perhaps the CIA is above the law?

I would like to see this reviewed under the strict anti-corruption laws in the US. Unless I am mistaken this law was introduced specifically to prevent US citizens bribing foreign government officials or nationals.

No matter how you look at this under US law it amounts to a bribe, regardless of Pakistani or Sharia law. It would be interesting to know exactly who paid the $2.3 million.

You nailed it in one, except it was probably the State Department that came up with the money from their Christmas account.

The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act covers individuals and corporations only. The US government bribes other government officials every day in much larger sums than this under the guise of Foreign Aid. This is nickel and dime stuff to them.

Where did you hear the sum of $2.3 million?

But you want it available to the US when it suits their needs...dont you?

You nailed it in one, except it was probably the State Department that came up with the money from their Christmas account.

The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act covers individuals and corporations only. The US government bribes other government officials every day in much larger sums than this under the guise of Foreign Aid. This is nickel and dime stuff to them.

There was a news report on France24 (TV) - they said the amount was $2.34 mil - not a bad deal for the families, by the sound of the two on the bike they were not your average innocent bystanders. Perhaps their 'bosses' were influential enough to get this done in record time.

As we speak there are protests in Pakistan over this - the people rightfully feel cheated - there was no justice served here.

Edited by ParadiseLost

There was a news report on France24 (TV) - they said the amount was $2.34 mil - not a bad deal for the families, by the sound of the two on the bike they were not your average innocent bystanders. Perhaps their 'bosses' were influential enough to get this done in record time.

As we speak there are protests in Pakistan over this - the people rightfully feel cheated - there was no justice served here.

AP news article by Babar Dogar mentioned $2.4 million. Ransom paid instead of exchange of spy for spy.

Wonder why he was flown to London and not the US?

Because that's where the plane was going?

London is on the way to the US after all.

That was pretty obvious to most of us. :lol:

Then one would have thought it should have stated 'flown to the US via London'.

The payment cannot be termed a bribed as it was treated as a legal settlement and was done in an open manner. The compensatory payment does not meet the legal definition of a bribe. A bribe is defined as; The offering, giving, receiving, or soliciting of something of value for the purpose of influencing the action of an official in the discharge of his or her public or legal duties.

My understanding is that it was the family that received the money, not a government official.

As much as I consider the payment to have been akin to extortion, one can argue that the payment respected the local customs. I do not understand how on one hand the Americans are accused of being disrespectful of the local third world residents, but when they show an understanding of local customs and respect for the social behaviours, they are condemned.

The reality is that both Pakistan and the USA needed this crisis to go away. The easiest way of doing that was to offer compensation for the loss of the upstanding pillars of Pakistani society. The compensation recognizes the value of Pakistani life and acts to compensate the deceased's families for the loss of their cherubs. US law enforcement agencies often pay similar sums when there is a case of inappropriate use of force.It's called an out of court settlement.

Case closed. The Pakistanis can go back to their leadership of the free world and get to work on building a modern society. Perhaps the families of the deceased will contribute to the construction of a public school.............

Edited by geriatrickid

The payment cannot be termed a bribed as it was treated as a legal settlement and was done in an open manner. The compensatory payment does not meet the legal definition of a bribe. A bribe is defined as; The offering, giving, receiving, or soliciting of something of value for the purpose of influencing the action of an official in the discharge of his or her public or legal duties.

My understanding is that it was the family that received the money, not a government official.

As much as I consider the payment to have been akin to extortion, one can argue that the payment respected the local customs. I do not understand how on one hand the Americans are accused of being disrespectful of the local third world residents, but when they show an understanding of local customs and respect for the social behaviours, they are condemned.

The reality is that both Pakistan and the USA needed this crisis to go away. The easiest way of doing that was to offer compensation for the loss of the upstanding pillars of Pakistani society. The compensation recognizes the value of Pakistani life and acts to compensate the deceased's families for the loss of their cherubs. US law enforcement agencies often pay similar sums when there is a case of inappropriate use of force.It's called an out of court settlement.

Case closed. The Pakistanis can go back to their leadership of the free world and get to work on building a modern society. Perhaps the families of the deceased will contribute to the construction of a public school.............

HALLO, Its using the sharia law.

That is that what you rant about repeatedly in other threads.

I never heard of a camera being a restricted item so I think most any diplomat can carry one.

I sometimes carry a camera and I am not a diplomat. Should I stop carrying my camera?

Thank you,

If a Pakistani diplomat in the US capped two bad guys on the streets of Washington I know for a fact they would not allow him to leave the country under any circumstances. Except maybe to send him to Guantanamo Bay. Sharia law is a digrace.

But you want it available to the US when it suits their needs...dont you?

Nope.

The action done was in accordance with the laws of Pakistan, Nothing more and nothing less.

I did read somewhere that the families of the deceased ISI agents are being given visas to live in the US. Maybe you're going to get some new neighbors. B)

Wonder why he was flown to London and not the US?

Because that's where the plane was going?

London is on the way to the US after all.

That was pretty obvious to most of us. :lol:

Then one would have thought it should have stated 'flown to the US via London'.

What if Davis wasn't going to the US? What if he is now on his way to China? What if the author of the article had no idea where he was going after the plane landed in London?

Why don't you write a letter to the Editor of the article and complain to them?

Who really cares besides you? :D

Thank you,

If a Pakistani diplomat in the US capped two bad guys on the streets of Washington I know for a fact they would not allow him to leave the country under any circumstances. Except maybe to send him to Guantanamo Bay. Sharia law is a digrace.

In Washington, maybe. But if he capped two bad guys in Texas, he would probably get the keys to the city.

PS: How do you know that for a fact?

Riots in Pak after double murder-accused Davis ‘buys’ freedom

ANI

Lahore, March 17, 2011

Riots broke out on the streets of Pakistan following the revelation that double murder-accused CIA contractor Raymond Davis was released over a 'blood-money' deal, and hundreds of protesters attempted to attack the US Consulate building in Lahore on Wednesday evening. Police wielded to batons, fired warning shots and resorted to tear-gas shelling to control the mob trying to attack the consulate, The Nation reports.

The police also badly tortured a reporting crew of a news channel while they were covering the protests live from the site.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Riots-in-Pak-after-double-murder-accused-Davis-buys-freedom/H1-Article1-674403.aspx