Male Foreigners Over 50 Outlawed From Marrying Cambodian Women

george

Cambodia sets age limit for foreign husbands

PHNOM PENH, March 16, 2011 (AFP) - Male foreigners over the age of 50 have been outlawed from marrying Cambodian women in the country under new rules designed to crack down on sham marriages and human trafficking, the government said Wednesday.

Foreigners who earn less than $2,550 per month are also barred from wedding local women, foreign ministry spokesman Koy Kuong told AFP, but the restrictions do not apply to weddings taking place overseas.

Marriages between old men and young women are "inappropriate", Koy Kuong said, and foreign men who wish to marry nationals must earn a high salary to ensure that "Cambodian women can live a decent life".

"We are preventing fake marriages and human trafficking," he said, adding that the government was aware of cases, documented by rights groups, where Cambodian women were sent into prostitution or "used as slaves" in their husband's home country.

The Cambodian foreign ministry has sent a diplomatic note to all the embassies and consulates in the country informing them of the new regulations, which came into effect on March 1.

Kek Galabru, president of local human rights group Licadho, praised the government's intention to protect Cambodian brides.

But she said the new guidelines "go against Cambodian marriage law and international law" -- specifically the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women.

"This is discrimination against women because they will not be allowed to marry men who are over 50... while Cambodian men can marry any foreign woman they choose," she said.

Cambodia imposed a temporary ban on foreign marriages in 2008 to prevent human trafficking, amid concern over a sharp rise in the number of brokered unions involving South Korean men and poor Cambodian women.

That ban followed an International Organisation for Migration report that said many Cambodian brides suffered abuse after moving to South Korea in marriages hastily arranged by brokers who made large profits.

The restriction was lifted about eight months later after new laws were introduced to prevent women becoming mail-order brides.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-03-16

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap...

Also to add, so what they are saying is that most men in Cambodia is not giving their wives a decent life, if their definition is set at $2,550/m (75k baht/m).

Edited by TAWP

As you say TAWP. Holy crap!

Howwver- if this bit is true;

That ban followed an International Organisation for Migration report that said many Cambodian brides suffered abuse after moving to South Korea in marriages hastily arranged by brokers who made large profits.

I don't know this organisation, is this a genuine issue that I've been ignorant of?

Also to add, so what they are saying is that most men in Cambodia is not giving their wives a decent life, if their definition is set at $2,550/m (75k baht/m).

You beat me to it. Perhaps Cambodian men should be forbidden from marrying unless they can match the same requirements as these dirtbag foreigners.

Edited by Crushdepth

Holy crap...

Just take them across boarder to Merma or Thailand and marry and go back :rolleyes:

Surely the age barrier is a minority in human trafficking, not a majority percentage or is Cambodia in its usual witch hunting corruption, stating the majority of marriages over 50's is connected with human trafficking? What a croc and how absurd in a country still hiding in fear of reprisal from Khmer. Perhaps they need to establish an "Inquisition" and public floggings into anyone interested in marrying a Cambodian when over the age of 50. Cambodia is still in the Dark Ages.

You can't be happy all your life - you have to get married sooner or later! I waited until 53 and have a wonderful 33 year old Thai wife (at the time) and 2 great kids now. Maybe I'm not normal... it has been said! blink.gif Thank God I didn't chose a Cambodian girl!

The thing is , you do not need to marry a Cambodian female to be accepted by the people , you go through a village ritual promising allegiance and love to her , then she can go anywhere with the man and not be looked down upon . The men would not get married if they had to comply with the monetary issue , many only earn around $100.00 a month and that is if they work in the city .

The country would lose huge amounts of money pumped into the country by foreign husbands plus many families would still be living in poverty , also , the ripple effect of that money would leave many more villagers in poverty . Cambodia is supported by foreign aid , take that away and it would rapidly go back its populace swinging in the trees , no joke !!!

i know i'm setting myself up to get flamed now, but i kinda think this is a good thing. obviously the govt wants to prevent old men marrying young girls for the wrong reasons. while they may not be forced to marry them, what do you expect when you go from having nothing to everything in terms of relativity....

I think the Thai goverment should consider similar laws to prevent the OAP's from being ripped/murdered off by their young brides to get at the cash...:whistling:

No, if they needed a nanny state to protect them from their own adult decisions, they should stay home.

i know i'm setting myself up to get flamed now, but i kinda think this is a good thing. obviously the govt wants to prevent old men marrying young girls for the wrong reasons. while they may not be forced to marry them, what do you expect when you go from having nothing to everything in terms of relativity....

Consider yourself flamed. :rolleyes:

The thing is , you do not need to marry a Cambodian female to be accepted by the people , you go through a village ritual promising allegiance and love to her , then she can go anywhere with the man and not be looked down upon .

They can go anywhere, as long as it's in Cambodia :lol:

What's next from Cambodia? Serious visa requirements for long stays like Thailand? Now anyone with a pulse and a few shekels to pay some fees can live there permanently by dealing with their local travel agent. It's a crackdown! Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, what's the world coming to?

Edited by Jingthing

Hmmm that'll mark Cambodia off many people's lists now (and add it to a few others!) "Sorry doll, I can't marry you as I am over 50!" That could be their new tourism slogan!

You can still marry your young Thai/Vietnamese lady and live in Cambodia

You are allowed to own land and live there without a problem, you just can't marry a local girl.

"Sorry luv, I really want to marry you,but your government won't let me" .......

Sounds like the perfect country to retire to, no pressure to marry EVER!