Male Foreigners Over 50 Outlawed From Marrying Cambodian Women

george

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'grumpyoldman' timestamp='1300509947' post='4294203']

Uh-oh, I'm 46, does this mean I need to run out and marry a Cambodian woman?

I'm not clear on what is so fantastic about them that they cut us off at 50? My analogy would be the barkeep who cuts me off after 10 beers. "Wait a minute, I'm just getting warmed up"!

You are not aware then that Cambodian females are quoted as being Whores or Virgins , They make excellent wives and usually do not re-marry after the loss of a husband , their culture ( I find) goes much deeper than that of the Thai .

Then again , I can only pass comment on and as I find and view things .

I allowed my mind to wander (praying that it comes back some time soon) and decided that this could be a good moneymaking opportunity for Thais living along the border with Cambodia. Envisage the following if you can :-

The price of string will rocket - and the monks will be rubbing the itchy palms of their hands. Can you envisage wedding chapels same same Las Vegas? Tuk tuks festooned with white ribbons? Drive in marriage chapels with a queue of doomed farangs and their tilacs sitting astride a Honda Wave? Heavies available to make offers that cannot be refused to those farangs shy at coughing up sinsod?

That so many have decided that us more senior and knowledgeable folk should be the target of their tasteless humour in deciding that bald is bad, those of advanced age are odourous and that spreading ourselves out a bit rather than follow the narcissistic bent of spending hours in the gym, is a sure indication of the low level of their education and quality of their upbringing. Perhaps we can put it down to their own insecurities that they have to bolster any vestige of self respect that they have by doing so.

As for dirty old men, they might be surprised to learn that ageing is a physical phenomenon not a mental one. Although I am now past the time when I could dive off the top of a wardrobe onto a delicious babe, I still at times phantasise about doing so, I still appreciate the sight of a young Miss and sometimes think that I would have to be dragged off her before they could cart me off to intensive care. I realise that those days for me are over but such thoughts are more rewarding that wondering whose turn it is to buy the next round of drinks or wondering what part of my body I should defile next with ghastly inking.

Next week my wife and I will be snowed under with the children of our extended family and we will all have a whale of a time for two weeks. Apart from renewing their wardrobes and filling them up with dishes that they never eat at home, we shall cavort on the beach together all day or take them to the tourist attractions. Some of the time will be spent in education and the two brightest are scheduled to have their first introduction to algebra. Many of the seniors who settle here do as we have done, and enjoy playing the role of Granddad; Cambodia will be shutting the door on benefits for some of their people by this over reactive measure.

In my view any person who has reached the age of 50 and manages to get himself ripped off by a sweet talking young Miss, has been the architect of his own misfortune. I have little sympathy for such fools who rush intro marriage with a trophy wife. They are as self delusional as the voluble young blades who know it all, when as other seniors have pointed out, they still have much to learn - and they won't learn much of use to them in Soi Cowboy or Soi 6.

Seriously though, it is amazing how many posters have interpreted this as being about at western men. While it will have the unintended effect of restricting marriages between Western retirees and Cambodian women, that is not the issue which promopted it.

"Foreigner" in Cambodia does not automatically equal "farang".

There is a very real issue of human trafficking involving arranged marriages between Cambodian women and older men from some east Asian countries.

Of course, the way the legislation is structured is not going to work any better than the last legislative attempt to deal with the problem did, and I expect it will not be long before it is repealed. But the issue is genuine and at least the government wants to do something about it.

....Another overreaction by the do gooders.

First time the Cambodian government has ever been called that! :lol:

It wasn't aimed at the govt, it was aimed at the people who pressure the govt..

But anyway, I don't have the inclination to explain my life choices to anyone that shows too much interest. Why should I try to justify myself to people that won't like what I do no matter what I say. If I'm happy with a 70 year old girl or a 20 year old girl then that's up to me and my happiness is all that matters.

:D

....Another overreaction by the do gooders.

First time the Cambodian government has ever been called that! :lol:

It wasn't aimed at the govt, it was aimed at the people who pressure the govt..

But anyway, I don't have the inclination to explain my life choices to anyone that shows too much interest. Why should I try to justify myself to people that won't like what I do no matter what I say. If I'm happy with a 70 year old girl or a 20 year old girl then that's up to me and my happiness is all that matters.

:D

The Cambodian government has yet to be pressured into doing anything by "do gooders", and I don't think the agen cies which have been involved in this issue would meet your definition of same.

There really aren't very many people even remotely interested in your life choices, assuming those choices don't involve rape, child molestation or human trafficking/enslavement. The last of these being the sole point of concern that led to this legislation.

March 18, 2020

Rueters

Cambodian courts today jailed 51 year old, James Alger, a British national, for 8 years after he was convicted of having sex with a 41 year old prostitute.

The victims chidren, both in their 20s, said their mother was shocked to find that her short-time partner was over 50, as he had assured her he was only 45.

Alert staff at the 5 star hotel where he was staying recounted seeing him bring the woman back to the hotel and then alerting police. "We were amazed that he would have the audacity to take a woman back to his room when he must have known we saw his age on his passport upon check in". Police colonel Syet Sor said he regretted not being able to break into the room in time to stop the act happening.

Alger's 25 year old daugher expressed horror at her fathers behaviour after the sentencing, but laid some of the blame with British lawmakers who last year voted down the "mandatory castration for men at age 50" bill for those who intend travelling overseas.

Ridiculous!................. 41 + 51 = 8 yrs. .. Castration before enterin' Cambodia is OK for all Foreigners. I'll support otherwise there will be many cases similar to Alger's. By now, I think they are serious from what we can see here.

You are not very bright are you? Anybody with an ounce of common sense would recognise this post as a parody. Borrow a dictionary and look up sarcasm.

:cheesy:

burp.gif

The Cambodian government has yet to be pressured into doing anything by "do gooders", and I don't think the agen cies which have been involved in this issue would meet your definition of same.

There really aren't very many people even remotely interested in your life choices, assuming those choices don't involve rape, child molestation or human trafficking/enslavement. The last of these being the sole point of concern that led to this legislation.

Read the posts here on any thread about 'old men with young women' and then say that people aren't even remotely interested. For people that aren't interested they certainly make a large number of posts about it.

What are you talking about. If I'm 51 I can't marry a cambodian woman no matter what her age, even if she's the same age as me, unless I have a certain amount of money. How is that stopping the human trafficking/rape/child molestation etc.

Where did child molestation come into it at all anyway. This new legislation has nothing to do with child molestation.

The problem is the Koreans taking the women for trafficking. A simple thing would be for the Cambodian govt to put certain hurdles in place for any Cambodian woman applying for a Korean visa but that would be far too simple.

I haven't read all the posts but, whether the Cambodian govt statement is right or otherwise with regards to their reasoning to introduce this change in the Law, one cannot argue against the idea that this change is reducing the democratic right for Cambodians to make their own mistakes relating to decisions affecting their own lives.

Personally, it doesn't affect me as I'm not yet 50 (a while yet to get there) and I don't have a Cambodian girlfriend.

Read the posts here on any thread about 'old men with young women' and then say that people aren't even remotely interested. For people that aren't interested they certainly make a large number of posts about it.

What are you talking about. If I'm 51 I can't marry a cambodian woman no matter what her age, even if she's the same age as me, unless I have a certain amount of money. How is that stopping the human trafficking/rape/child molestation etc.

Where did child molestation come into it at all anyway. This new legislation has nothing to do with child molestation.

The problem is the Koreans taking the women for trafficking. A simple thing would be for the Cambodian govt to put certain hurdles in place for any Cambodian woman applying for a Korean visa but that would be far too simple.

The people posting here and the people involved in enacting this legislation are poles apart in their concerns, which is the point I was trying to make.

Older western men with younger Asian women is indeed a "hot" topic among some TV members. It is not, however, of the remotest interest to the Cambodian government nor to the (few, and hardly "monied" or "do-gooder" as I think the term is meant) organizations which have taken an interest in the issue. Should also note that no organization advocated this particular law as a means of dealing with the problem, and in fact if you go back to the original posts you'll see some speaking out against it. The byzantine terms of the law are solely the doing of the Cambodian government. As was a prior law which outlawed marriages between Cambodian women and Korean men ((later repealed, just as this one is likely to be).

As to why not place hurdles on the visa, problem is that Korean visas are issued by Korean, not Cambodian, authorities.

BTW as the law now reads, at 51 you can't marry a Cambodian woman no matter how much $ you have....

Just one small question for this ridiculous law,if the couple Marry when the Male is 49 years old,

does it mean they will have to Divorce when the Male is 51 years old, to stay within the Law?

Edited by MAJIC

Just one small question for this ridiculous law,if the couple Marry when the Male is 49 years old,

does it mean they will have to Divorce when the Male is 51 years old, to stay within the Law?

Here's a little clue to help put your mind at rest:

March 18, 2020

Rueters

Cambodian courts today jailed 51 year old, James Alger, a British national, for 8 years after he was convicted of having sex with a 41 year old prostitute.

The victims chidren...<snip>

Sorry, but anyone old enough to collect a pension should not be making babies (unless you are retired at 30 from professional sports). That is terribly unfair to the child, who deserves to have their father around and healthy enough to raise them well into adulthood, and the wife, who should not be burdened to be a widow AND a single mother. Never mind all the studies linking autism and countless other health issues to children born from older parents. Humans were not meant to breed past a certain age for many good reasons. It is just pure selfishness on behalf of the parents. If you are that desperate to have kids, there are millions of unwanted children starving or being neglected in the world, and your DNA is just not that special, anyway.

And to listen to everyone completely ignore the notion of human trafficking and forced prostitution is proof enough why Cambodia does need this law, to protect those poor women from all the predators that are already in SE Asia.

Seems the creator had a plan by stopping women from having babies after menopause. So far so good we agree. But I guess you took over the role of the creator when it comes to men.

What would you do sterilize men after the age of 50?

Jack O'Sullivan, co-founder of Fathers Direct argues that the advantages to late fatherhood outweigh the disadvantages. "Research shows that old fathers are three times more likely to take regular responsibility for a young child. They are more likely to be fathers by choice and this means that they become more positively involved with the child. They behave more like mothers, smiling at the baby and gurgling ."

Celebrity older fathers include: Tony Blair (at 45), Ken Livingstone (at 57), Mick Hucknall (at 47), David Bowie (at 53), Mick Jagger (at 57), Phil Collins (at 51), Rupert Murdoch (at 72), Michael Douglas (at 58), Des O'Connor (at 72), Gordon Brown (at 54), Rod Stewart (at 60), Paul McCartney (at 61), David Jason (61), Eric Clapton (at 59), John Humphrys (at 56), John Simpson (at 61), Julio Iglesias Sr. (father of the singer Julio, at 89), Charlie Chaplin (at 73), Augustus John (at 47), Saul Bellow (at 84), Anthony Quinn (at 81) Pablo Picasso (at 68) and Luciano Pavarotti (twins at 67), Jonathan Dimbleby (at 62), David Letterman (at 56), Larry King (at 65 and 66), Woody Allen (at 51), Warren Beatty (at 62), and Jack Nicholson (at 53), Mike Oldfield (at 54), Rick Parfitt (at 59), Van Morrison (allegedly at 64), Kevin Costner (at 55), Rod Stewart (will be father at 66), Kelsey Grammer (will be father at 55), Ritchie Blackmore (father at 65).

I hope some of the guys got a DNA test. 89 year old father?

March 18, 2020

Rueters

The victims chidren, both in their 20s, said their mother was shocked to find that her short-time partner was over 50, as he had assured her he was only 45.

Alert staff at the 5 star hotel where he was staying recounted seeing him bring the woman back to the hotel and then alerting police. "We were amazed that he would have the audacity to take a woman back to his room when he must have known we saw his age on his passport upon check in". Police colonel Syet Sor said he regretted not being able to break into the room in time to stop the act happening.

Alger's 25 year old daugher expressed horror at her fathers behaviour after the sentencing, but laid some of the blame with British lawmakers who last year voted down the "mandatory castration for men at age 50" bill for those who intend travelling overseas.

Ridiculous!................. 41 + 51 = 8 yrs. .. Castration before enterin' Cambodia is OK for all Foreigners. I'll support otherwise there will be many cases similar to Alger's. By now, I think they are serious from what we can see here.

You are not very bright are you? Anybody with an ounce of common sense would recognise this post as a parody. Borrow a dictionary and look up sarcasm.

What's wrong with it? Try to make them cackle is wrong?.................. for God sake ... you ain't have any sense of humor . !!........ .Gosh....

Edited by dunkin2012

Here's a little clue to help put your mind at rest:

March 18, 2020

Rueters

The victims chidren...<snip>

Correct............ there is it exactly just for your question. .....

But Nope .............. I don't think it will work that way.... 50 Yrs and 1 day you need a divorce then...Cann't be until 51 Haha............

I don't know .......really don't know.... Go to Cambodia and find out then...

Hmmm that'll mark Cambodia off many people's lists now (and add it to a few others!) "Sorry doll, I can't marry you as I am over 50!" That could be their new tourism slogan!

not quite true, they just have to earn over 2550$ and they re fine!

Edited by stevensdling

Darn it all. Why do they do this? I am 59 and just reaching my peak! Onwards and upwards!

O those lucky lucky babes to have any man who earns over 12 times the average salary in Cambodia (salary...not wage). The fact is you usually have to be of a certain age to have a decent salary/wage.

Edited by harleyclarkey