Male Foreigners Over 50 Outlawed From Marrying Cambodian Women

george

What a load of BS.

Are they really assuming that no human traffickers are earning $2,550 or more per month?

So it doesn’t matter if the foreigner is an axe murderer, rapist, Jack the ripper or a reincarnation of John Haige the acid bath murderer providing he is on an income of $2,550 or more per month, under 50 and will lavish his wealth on his beautiful peasant wife, her family and the community.

This is the Cambodian Government’s way of saying; we only want foreigners of wealth in Cambodia, young enough to contribute something into the country and we do not want elderly foreigners who may become a burden on our health services.

And yes; I also find the site of some fat gross ugly stinking old farang walking hand in hand with some young slutty looking Thai bird, sickening. But, this is what living in a true democracy is all about, freedom of choice. Once a Government outlaws these rights then it becomes a nanny state.

The same will eventually happen in Thailand, perhaps the Thais will take the more money required for visa approach to the problem as more and more foreigners on budgets come to live here. So brace yourselves, it`s only a matter of time.

You forgot to add balding to the cliche'

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm that'll mark Cambodia off many people's lists now (and add it to a few others!) "Sorry doll, I can't marry you as I am over 50!" That could be their new tourism slogan!

This is the trend that's moving across the SE Asian lands now against foreigners.

Thailand's done it with visa-law clamp-downs.

Cambodia's doing it with this style of clamp-down

Can't say I'm that shocked, Hun Sen's a crooked wretch that would of been best left behind with the demise of the Khmer Rouge in 1978...

What a load of BS.

Are they really assuming that no human traffickers are earning $2,550 or more per month?

So it doesn’t matter if the foreigner is an axe murderer, rapist, Jack the ripper or a reincarnation of John Haige the acid bath murderer providing he is on an income of $2,550 or more per month, under 50 and will lavish his wealth on his beautiful peasant wife, her family and the community.

This is the Cambodian Government’s way of saying; we only want foreigners of wealth in Cambodia, young enough to contribute something into the country and we do not want elderly foreigners who may become a burden on our health services.

And yes; I also find the site of some fat gross ugly stinking old farang walking hand in hand with some young slutty looking Thai bird, sickening. But, this is what living in a true democracy is all about, freedom of choice. Once a Government outlaws these rights then it becomes a nanny state.

The same will eventually happen in Thailand, perhaps the Thais will take the more money required for visa approach to the problem as more and more foreigners on budgets come to live here. So brace yourselves, it`s only a matter of time.

Why should it bother you? "you velly velly handsome" lol :lol: Unless they hold hands with you shouldn't really care.

What a load of BS.

So it doesn't matter if the foreigner is an axe murderer, rapist, Jack the ripper or a reincarnation of John Haige the acid bath murderer providing he is on an income of $2,550 or more per month, under 50 and will lavish his wealth on his beautiful peasant wife, her family and the community.

This is the Cambodian Government's way of saying; we only want foreigners of wealth in Cambodia, young enough to contribute something into the country and we do not want elderly foreigners who may become a burden on our health services.

You forgot to add balding to the cliche'

That`s true.

It is a known fact that all old balding farangs are human traffickers, sex offenders and drug dealers.

What a load of BS.

So it doesn't matter if the foreigner is an axe murderer, rapist, Jack the ripper or a reincarnation of John Haige the acid bath murderer providing he is on an income of $2,550 or more per month, under 50 and will lavish his wealth on his beautiful peasant wife, her family and the community.

This is the Cambodian Government's way of saying; we only want foreigners of wealth in Cambodia, young enough to contribute something into the country and we do not want elderly foreigners who may become a burden on our health services.

Why should it bother you? "you velly velly handsome" lol :lol: Unless they hold hands with you shouldn't really care.

If they agree to hold more than just my hands for a reasonable price, I might be prepared to over look the fact that I`m not allowed to marry them.

I hope this does not spread to Thailand, I'm engaged, but darn, I only earn $2,249 per month. Gosh, I'm pleased I went to Chiang Mai instead of Cambodia!

Seriously though, this means that a guy who is 56 cannot marry a woman who is 45. That's just downright silly.

From what I've read Wallaby hit the nail on the head.

The foreigners are a very small percentage in the 'business' that we see in Asia. Thailand might be famous for this in the western world, but most of Asia is like this, and it mainly caters for local men. I don't condone it or agree with it, basically I am saying its like this, and it ain't going to change because we complain about it.

Thus it begs the question why the Cambodians have done this? I just think they don't like to see old farangs with young ladies. Really this is just racism (or ageism?), despite all the wealth this type of tourism brings in, and the economic impact it has on the young ladies and their families. In a way it will be hurting these people too. Certainly their measures won't have the impact of human trafficking that they talk about.

This also re-enforces the point, no country can be called home unless they allow you citizens rights. Otherwise you can be excluded from residing for whatever reasons they want (old/wrinkly/fat/decrepit/pollute the visual landscape).

And you young farangs complaining about the old farangs: one day you will be old/fat/wrinkled/etc too (and I bet you will still visit here to enjoy Thailand?). Me I am somewhere in between.

This law is useless and a waste of Cambodia's time. They said the law was made to prevent human traffic to Korea and that these victims that went to Korea were set up by a broker. That would indicate to me that there were no marriages in Cambodia of the target victim population (girls who went to Korea to get married). So the law changes nothing, the girls can still go to Korea then get married. This law will not do anything at all toward meeting or correcting the problem it was designed for.

Assuming the law, and I don't think it is the law, as best as you can determine what the law is in Cambodia, really was meant to stop human trafficking, it won't stop anything. The human trafficing people will simply put up a younger up front man. Trivial to do.

Holy crap...

Also to add, so what they are saying is that most men in Cambodia is not giving their wives a decent life, if their definition is set at $2,550/m (75k baht/m).

There's a lot of "indecent" men then as the average income for Cambodia is $2,086/YEAR

(IMF figures for gross domestic product (GDP) at purchasing power parity (PPP) per capita - 2010)

http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2010/02/weodata/weorept.aspx?sy=2010&ey=2010&scsm=1&ssd=1&sort=country&ds=.&br=1&c=512%2C941%2C914%2C446%2C612%2C666%2C614%2C668%2C311%2C672%2C213%2C946%2C911%2C137%2C193%2C962%2C122%2C674%2C912%2C676%2C313%2C548%2C419%2C556%2C513%2C678%2C316%2C181%2C913%2C682%2C124%2C684%2C339%2C273%2C638%2C921%2C514%2C948%2C218%2C943%2C963%2C686%2C616%2C688%2C223%2C518%2C516%2C728%2C918%2C558%2C748%2C138%2C618%2C196%2C522%2C278%2C622%2C692%2C156%2C694%2C624%2C142%2C626%2C449%2C628%2C564%2C228%2C283%2C924%2C853%2C233%2C288%2C632%2C293%2C636%2C566%2C634%2C964%2C238%2C182%2C662%2C453%2C960%2C968%2C423%2C922%2C935%2C714%2C128%2C862%2C611%2C716%2C321%2C456%2C243%2C722%2C248%2C942%2C469%2C718%2C253%2C724%2C642%2C576%2C643%2C936%2C939%2C961%2C644%2C813%2C819%2C199%2C172%2C184%2C132%2C524%2C646%2C361%2C648%2C362%2C915%2C364%2C134%2C732%2C652%2C366%2C174%2C734%2C328%2C144%2C258%2C146%2C656%2C463%2C654%2C528%2C336%2C923%2C263%2C738%2C268%2C578%2C532%2C537%2C944%2C742%2C176%2C866%2C534%2C369%2C536%2C744%2C429%2C186%2C433%2C925%2C178%2C746%2C436%2C926%2C136%2C466%2C343%2C112%2C158%2C111%2C439%2C298%2C916%2C927%2C664%2C846%2C826%2C299%2C542%2C582%2C967%2C474%2C443%2C754%2C917%2C698%2C544&s=PPPPC&grp=0&a=&pr.x=33&pr.y=12

Edited by Buchholz

Really this is just racism (or ageism?),

It's both as Cambodians of any age aren't barred from marrying.

However to be more precise, rather than purely racist as it bars any foreigner, irregardless of race, it's actually ultra-nationalistic and ageist and sexist.

Edited by Buchholz

Hmmm that'll mark Cambodia off many people's lists now (and add it to a few others!) "Sorry doll, I can't marry you as I am over 50!" That could be their new tourism slogan!

This is the trend that's moving across the SE Asian lands now against foreigners.

Thailand's done it with visa-law clamp-downs.

Cambodia's doing it with this style of clamp-down

Can't say I'm that shocked, Hun Sen's a crooked wretch that would of been best left behind with the demise of the Khmer Rouge in 1978...

You don't stay in absolute power for more than two decades without being a bastard.

Why Buy if you can rent? Just looking at all these old clowns parading the Sois - and blocking them, as if they own also the road - with "their" young girlfriend is hilarious. Most of them got VICTIM written allover their foreheads. In all reality I feel the Cambodians are doing the foreigners over 50 a service, then. :blink:

I agree nothing looks more stupid than an old farang who has a young wife who is actually young enoung to be his great great grand daughter.

i know i'm setting myself up to get flamed now, but i kinda think this is a good thing. obviously the govt wants to prevent old men marrying young girls for the wrong reasons. while they may not be forced to marry them, what do you expect when you go from having nothing to everything in terms of relativity....

..so will this new law be 'grandfathered'.. :lol:

i know i'm setting myself up to get flamed now, but i kinda think this is a good thing. obviously the govt wants to prevent old men marrying young girls for the wrong reasons. while they may not be forced to marry them, what do you expect when you go from having nothing to everything in terms of relativity....

I don't see why you should be flamed even though I don't agree with you. I cant speak for Thai women as I am gay but my partner and I have been in civil partnership for 5 years now - there is a 40 year age gap but he would not have it any other way and does not find younger guys attractive - in much the same way as I don't find guys of 40 and 50 attractive. In asian culture there is I believe a different attitude towards age - sure some are money boys and girls and older guys make for less effort on their part. But after 5 years together the mutual attraction between us is as strong as it ever was. My partner is also attracted to overweight guys - everyone has preferences that should be respected. We were both adult when me met and I would hate to think of a government telling us whether we could marry or not.

Even where marriages are not quite as genuine there is still often mutual respect with the younger person happy to please their partner and the older partner happy to make provision for them after they die. In those situations it is a mutually beneficial relationship which hurts no one.

I believe that much of the trafficking is actually undertaken by much younger more attractive guys who are working for gangs anyway.

It's cosmetic legislation. Couples will just travel over the border and marry there.

Welldone cambodia.. men over 50 shudnt b marrying young girls

Young girls shouldn't want to marry 50 plus old farts should they? And if they do who's the government to to say no to them? I'll be watching the Cambo government being sued for breaking basic human rights with stupid law like this. Maybe next time they should write in the law that men over 50 shouldn't be in government? Punishment - vaporization!

$2,550 per month :cheesy:

I'm sure the Barang Brigade will be here soon to explain how this is just another step in Cambodia becoming the premier retirement destination

Maybe they want to beat Thailand and become "The Retirement Hub". :lol:

..so will this new law be 'grandfathered'.. :lol:

:lol: good one..

It's cosmetic legislation. Couples will just travel over the border and marry there.

Can a Cambodian and a foreigner can get legally married in Thailand or Vietnam and would it be recognized by Cambodia? The woman won't be able to go to the foreigner's home country either as she will never qualify for a visa.

I think the Thai goverment should consider similar laws to prevent the OAP's from being ripped/murdered off by their young brides to get at the cash...:whistling:

Congratulations you just won the most unintelligent post of the week award

Hah? .. I thought that was a very quirky, valid and intelligent comment noting the other angle of the story.

Why don't they target South Korean men? I think that is their problem, not all foreigners treat their wives like shit, more people that live in the far east treat their wifes like shit, and it has nothing to do with money in the bank or salary.

OMG this is a normal salory for many swedish Men over and under 50Yo even if they are not rich i can more ore less garrantie u that the woman from Cambodia get a better life with the Swedish man.

I will rather say that rich men just use the woman from other countries as sextoy and evensend the woman back to there homecountry B4 they get permanent Visa. Rich ppl dont have this empati they only know themself and money talks.......

Sorry to say that if the cambodia govement think they do the girls/woman and big favour the ofcourse are totaly wrong.

And ofcourse tourist come anyway but certanly less (not because of age 50 + ) hahaha but cos the rules ,we now have 2011 hello?? they must realize that the world will be smaller and smaller and that the young generations will cross borders allower.

But im over 50 and i am married to an Asian woman, and we are so happy (every time i got my salory)

No.......im kidding ...just a normal happy,happy farang/Thai married many years.

Have a good day and why marrie cambodian ??

Holy crap...

Also to add, so what they are saying is that most men in Cambodia is not giving their wives a decent life, if their definition is set at $2,550/m (75k baht/m).

Depends on the country. That amount goes a lot farther throughout Asia except Japan, not sure about Taiwan. I lived in South Korea for a couple years and a person can make an amount like that, still enjoy life, and have savings, although it is getting more expensive now.