Male Foreigners Over 50 Outlawed From Marrying Cambodian Women

george

What happens if the woman is over 50? Does she have to find someone under 50 if she wants to marry a foreigner?

According to the new law that would be the case, but those women over 50 would not be offended, since there is not exactly a cue of foreigners wanting such a marriage, nevertheless, any bloke wishing to do this should see a neurologist prior to such an event.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:guitar: Cambodia is one of my favorite destinations. Don't insult them... They are cute people. Do you think every Cambodian girl 'd like to marry Farangs? Nope.... You guys are terribly wrong. For some of them, money can't buy them for sure. As I have seen for example a Thai local lady married a guy from Boston. When she's in the States, she sleeps with this poor guy. And when she is back home, she has another local man for her enjoyment. She only thinks the guy from Boston is just for the source of her income only nothing more than that. You guys must be careful with these type of women. They make become a fool without noticin' then. Edited by dunkin2012

So if they follow the Thai example where a non married foreigner needs 1.6 times the income of one married to a local (65k versus 40k) then surely the next move is to require foreign retirees or long stay visitors to prove an income of 1.6 times the $2,550 needed for a married man which equates to $4,144.

That'll have loads of cheap charlies running out of shitholes to move to then !

Incidentally, it used to be against Burmese law for a foreign man of any age to marry a Burmese woman , may still be. But back to Cambodia: it's a clumsy way to try and stem sham marriages or trafficking. They should try and deal with abuses on a case by case basis. Plus, it doesn't say much for the intelligence of Cambodian females, if they're so easily duped - same for the people (family, etc) who should be watching out for their sisters and daughters.

Holy crap...

Also to add, so what they are saying is that most men in Cambodia is not giving their wives a decent life, if their definition is set at $2,550/m (75k baht/m).

Depends on the country. That amount goes a lot farther throughout Asia except Japan, not sure about Taiwan. I lived in South Korea for a couple years and a person can make an amount like that, still enjoy life, and have savings, although it is getting more expensive now.

Although monthly with that amount of money to spend in Thailand is pretty much OK. i would say..:rolleyes:

Here's what's funny...

If a man over 50 takes a nice girl and they live together, then now the gov't forbids, and he leaves her behind, who will she be able to be pure for now? Do you think the Cambo man will take her as a bride? Sounds like the Cambo govt wants to build up its Prostitute rings up... as they are now pushing any girl into that business... So now the gov't is encouraging graph, corruption... I'm sure in the near future we will hear of the riots like that in Egypt, Bahrain, Liyba coming soon to Cambo cuntry...(not country, but 'cun_t'try)

Edited by cmiuc

Really? I didn't know the state chose partners for gays. Sounds a bit like an enforced government dating agency. <deleted> are you on about?

Seems harsh. But on the other hand straight people now can experience what the vast majority of the world's gay people have to live with, the state dictating who you can and can't marry.

I'll be 60 soon so now problem anyway.I think they should pass an "over 60" law to encourage us old farts to marry and support Cambodian women.

Edited by LTGTR

I doubt that would qualify because it said "overseas".

Holy crap...

Also to add, so what they are saying is that most men in Cambodia is not giving their wives a decent life, if their definition is set at $2,550/m (75k baht/m).

Just take them across boarder to Merma or Thailand and marry and go back :rolleyes:

Yes,but Cambodia has 3G!

Surely the age barrier is a minority in human trafficking, not a majority percentage or is Cambodia in its usual witch hunting corruption, stating the majority of marriages over 50's is connected with human trafficking? What a croc and how absurd in a country still hiding in fear of reprisal from Khmer. Perhaps they need to establish an "Inquisition" and public floggings into anyone interested in marrying a Cambodian when over the age of 50. Cambodia is still in the Dark Ages.

You can't be happy all your life - you have to get married sooner or later! I waited until 53 and have a wonderful 33 year old Thai wife (at the time) and 2 great kids now. Maybe I'm not normal... it has been said! blink.gif Thank God I didn't chose a Cambodian girl!

I think the Thai goverment should consider similar laws to prevent the OAP's from being ripped/murdered off by their young brides to get at the cash...:whistling:

I think the Thai government should make sure that people that travel 1000's of Km's for cheap sex with poor people, are totally aware that the people they are abusing, hate them.

Will the Thai Government make sure that the people who travel all the way from the next village for sex are also made totally aware that the people they are abusing hate them? I suggest that you stop playing the piano badly and get out into the country and get in touch with reality. The farang element of the P2P industry is a fraction of the whole.

Anybody who has visited a bar or go-go palace more than a few times will tell you that if a girl doesn't like you, or the look of you, then she won't play. I suggest that you may find that many ladies will tell you that their farang customers treat them more kindly, and generally better, than any Thai man ever did.

Who wants to marry one anyway , better off doing what most do here , have fun and run :D

I bet there are 100,000 or more pretty young women in Cambodia that would live with any old guy making $4,000+ a month and treats them well.

As you say TAWP. Holy crap!

Howwver- if this bit is true;

That ban followed an International Organisation for Migration report that said many Cambodian brides suffered abuse after moving to South Korea in marriages hastily arranged by brokers who made large profits.

I don't know this organisation, is this a genuine issue that I've been ignorant of?

The organization seems legit... http://www.iom.int/jahia/jsp/index.jsp

Cambodia's response seems to over-reach a little, though. They'll probably get lot of flack during the implementation. Pity that so many governments around the world try to control so much of citizens' lives.

The law has some merit. I for one am sickened by what I see here in Thailand all too often. Some old dude cruzing around with his young 20 something bride and the little baby in tow. Which I might add that baby inevitably grows up without a father after he turns over from old age . And men enslaving thier 'wives' as prostitutes in thier homeland is another problem.

However it also has some laughable conditions. $2550 per month is a joke.If a Cambodian was on $2550k a month they would be in the high society group in Phnom Phen. Also the age thing should be adjusted to an age differential as opposed to the 'cannot marry' for over 50 year olds. So what they are saying is that a 51 year old foriegner wants to marry a 49 year old Khmer then that it against the law. Please.:lol:

The law has merit you say and then you rip the whole thing apart...and as for the old dudes with the kids in tow, how do you know the kids have not been provided for after said 'old dude' has popped his clogs.....most kids outlive their parents

You obviously fit the bill. Being provided for is one thing. But growing up from a young age without a father is hard for a child.

That said. In my post I did say it has merit. I didn't say it was flawless, good or bad. It does how ever have good points and bad points.

They should put their efforts into stamping out the human trafficking, not penalise people who wish to marry a younger person, and as for fitting your bill , am not married and have no kids :whistling:

Maybe I'm missing something,but I thought I had always read here that Cambodia was so much more foreigner friendly than Thailand. :whistling:

Thats only the usual whingers and whiners who have nothing else to complain about. Some people always have something

to complain about and the use of Cambodia and the Philippines as a comparison is paramount with them. There is no true difference

and we still remain the foreigner. Anyone who actually lives in Thailand or one of these countries comes in contact with

it constantly.

The issue with Koreans is similar to most other caste from this region where they are

prejudiced against each other far beyond any western prejudices plus their treatment

of anyone lower is also justification to them for however they treat them.

Prevalent here against other neighbours. Look at the uproar on the treatment of immigrant workers etc.

Seems harsh. But on the other hand straight people now can experience what the vast majority of the world's gay people have to live with, the state dictating who you can and can't marry.

Had the same thought. Now the straight people concerned (and there are many reading the posts), can experience how it feels to be gay.

Condemn gays and next will be your own basic human rights and dignity being affected. We gays have to deal with such problems all the time. Now you can become creative as we are: Get a marriage visa for your home country and marry there. I did so with my boyfriend a couple of years ago and can assure you it is a lot of hassle. All this to be deprieved of the basic rights in Thailand myself. At least he will get a EU passport soon and his visa for anywhere are a pure formality.

We gays know the value of things because we had to fight so hard for them.

Many years ago, my paternal grandmother remarried a man named George who was 70. My Dad was forty-five at the time and George decided that it was high time for me to learn how to box. So George came over to our house and set up a heavy bag and platform bag setup. Well even after he turned 80 George could keep the platform bag spinning with his elbows. My Dad was not too shabby when it came to handling himself in a fight, but that day George set those punching bags in our basement he made the mistake of putting the boxing gloves on with George. I watched George knock my Dad down twice in succession in very short order.

So I think Cambodia needs to change its law. There should be no age limit if you can pass certain physical tests. Passing a higher level of tests entitled a man to have at least two wives. ANd if you can't walk 5 kilometers in 35 minutes you can't get married to anyone and this should apply to and be enforced against all Cambodian government officials.

As you say TAWP. Holy crap!

Howwver- if this bit is true;

That ban followed an International Organisation for Migration report that said many Cambodian brides suffered abuse after moving to South Korea in marriages hastily arranged by brokers who made large profits.

I don't know this organisation, is this a genuine issue that I've been ignorant of?

The organization seems legit... http://www.iom.int/jahia/jsp/index.jsp

Cambodia's response seems to over-reach a little, though. They'll probably get lot of flack during the implementation. Pity that so many governments around the world try to control so much of citizens' lives.

Here is the reason... Why they made this law. Do you think the Cambodian are idiot?

Yep... this one I have heard... includin' Viet People............ with the koean .... They are very much violent.......

Edited by dunkin2012

I've been to Cambodia once for a 9 day holiday....Not a sex tourist as I'am married..Its a sh-t- hole..I went 2 years a go...The first night there in sihonukville some one a farang was stabbed at a ATM and another was beat off a motor cycle with sticks both were robbed...Not a good start for a trip to a place people had kept saying on this forum was the up and coming tourist destination..Then on the beach a women while swimming in the sea had her bag stolen..The beach was full of people taking drugs while notices everywhere warned that you would be sent to prison for having sex with young women I think the age was under 20 but may have been 18.On top of that the food was terrible...Thailand stills looks a better deal somehow...So with this new repressive law about marriage it just shows they are going backwards...I actually went there to see if safe was a place to go if Thailand had real problems.......

Edited by davidwright

This is a stupid, dumb, meaningless act of a gov trying to mask its own corruption and deception. If there were any true concern for the Cambodian people by its government then there would be medical aid, schooling, infrastructure development outside Phnon Penh.

Is it April the 1st?

This is ageist, sexist and absurd. Any Cambodian lass would be very lucky indeed to be with any foreigner who earns over $2,550 per month (they did say month?). What is the average ANNUAL wage for a Cambodian male?? Not too far off the monthly salary insisted upon by these stupid authorities.

Has anyone there actually worked out that maybe, just maybe, most of these poor defenceless women are happy to be with a foreigner and do so willingly and of their own free will. Unless these is coercion then this is nonsense.

By the way I am near 60 so... according to the log heads in Cambodia... way, way over the hill for these babes. But then, they would be lucky to have me. Ah yes...maybe we are better off.

In Siem Reap, which is suppossed to have over two million tourist visitors per year, I was told by one of my Cambodian friends that police officers and teachers were earning about US $30.00 per month (US $360. per year). I heard that the pay was higher in the capital (PP). I heard it was US $30.00-45.00 per month for police officers and teachers. The pay has probably not increased lately. Tourism has drastically decreased over the past two years, and thus, there is much less money in the local economies there. Most Cambodian citizens earn less than US$1.00 per day.

Last time I looked, most Cambodians didn't have a pot to piss in .. well, most of them except those in the government of course

sounds like the thai wimmin that "choose " old, smelly, balding faranggs :lol::lol: as husbands!

Edited by chooch7

Won't the human traffickers just start getting 49 year olds to help move the girls?

My lord it's a bad solution to a sickly problem.

They should just make the man live in Cambodia for six months with his new bride first - then the bride can leg it if he's a d1k and I doubt many old Korean men could handle living in Cambodia for 6 months.

I should be the foreign minister for Cambodia!!... I wonder if it pays more than $2550 per month?