Male Foreigners Over 50 Outlawed From Marrying Cambodian Women

george

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you haven't been to Cambodia yet.

Have you all seen the movie called "Same Same but Different" made by a German guy. ?

The movie reflects many aspects of their lifestyles.

You will get the idea of how they live, behave and think in Phompehn.

Holy crap...

Also to add, so what they are saying is that most men in Cambodia is not giving their wives a decent life, if their definition is set at $2,550/m (75k baht/m).

Just take them across boarder to Merma or Thailand and marry and go back :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that Cambodia had borders with Thailand, Laos and Vietnam. I looked very carefully on several maps and couldn't find "Merma". Is this some in-joke I'm not aware of?!

Holy crap...

Also to add, so what they are saying is that most men in Cambodia is not giving their wives a decent life, if their definition is set at $2,550/m (75k baht/m).

Just take them across boarder to Merma or Thailand and marry and go back :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that Cambodia had borders with Thailand, Laos and Vietnam. I looked very carefully on several maps and couldn't find "Merma". Is this some in-joke I'm not aware of?!

The guy means Burma or Myanmar, the new name now a day they are using look on the west of Thai's Map... you will see it... dude.

Maybe I'm missing something,but I thought I had always read here that Cambodia was so much more foreigner friendly than Thailand. :whistling:

As long as you are not over 50 yrs young.... haha.. But you can bring them accross the border into Thailand for the day and marry them here... legal marriage.. or take them to Vagas..!!

Marriages between old men and young women are "inappropriate", Koy Kuong said, and foreign men who wish to marry nationals must earn a high salary to ensure that "Cambodian women can live a decent life".

How many Cambodian men can offer this stardard of life??????????

Isn't it true that Cambodians killed 1.5 to 2 million of their neighbors while Pol Pot was in power and isn't it equally true that not one of those responsible has been called to account for his crimes? Now that really sticks in my craw and would seem to indicate cause for warning.

Holy crap...

Wont work;

I wanted to marry my Cambdodian GF here in Thailand and was told to contact the emabssy for letter thayt she is free to marry, ( same letter a Farang needs) the embassy told me they will not issue and she has to go to back home.

Note paper work to get married in Thailand can be done very easy then its an easy trip to the register. IN cambodia it take upwards of months and the cheapest i have seen or heard of is about $800. Pretty much need someone to help u.

Now i guess i will continue to live in Sin

Holy crap...

If you haven't been to Cambodia yet.

Have you all seen the movie called "Same Same but Different" made by a German guy. ?

The movie reflects many aspects of their lifestyles.

You will get the idea of how they live, behave and think in Phompehn.

One will not ever know much about Cambodia and its people unless one has lived there for a long period and has traveled and stayed in many different areas of the country. There are some groups in the northeast who still live in small traditional villages in the forest who still hunt with spears... like some of the Native Americans in the Amazon rainforest. There is great variation in all aspects of Cambodian society throughout the country. One can read about and study Cambodia via media for years and watch all the movies one can, but until one has traveled widely and stayed there for long periods, one will have 'no clue' about the whole of the country and its people. OK...maybe a very small clue...much less than 1% of understanding ot Cambodia and its society. Many of the movies, of the style you mention, are biased and one-sided and have a very narrow point of view...much like many of the movies, 'homemade-style movies, and documentaries of Thailand. Unless you have lived in Cambodia for a long time, you will have "no clue'. Also, the majority of the negative stories shown on TV and put out by NGO's are drastically over-hyped and sensationalized in order to attract viewers (TV news) and money (NGOs).

Holy crap...

Its the new name for Cambodia! For men over 50 from other countrys that want to marry a young Cambodian women cause its just given them a heart merma!

The law has some merit. I for one am sickened by what I see here in Thailand all too often. Some old dude cruzing around with his young 20 something bride and the little baby in tow. Which I might add that baby inevitably grows up without a father after he turns over from old age . And men enslaving thier 'wives' as prostitutes in thier homeland is another problem.

However it also has some laughable conditions. $2550 per month is a joke.If a Cambodian was on $2550k a month they would be in the high society group in Phnom Phen. Also the age thing should be adjusted to an age differential as opposed to the 'cannot marry' for over 50 year olds. So what they are saying is that a 51 year old foriegner wants to marry a 49 year old Khmer then that it against the law. Please.:lol:

The law has merit you say and then you rip the whole thing apart...and as for the old dudes with the kids in tow, how do you know the kids have not been provided for after said 'old dude' has popped his clogs.....most kids outlive their parents

You obviously fit the bill. Being provided for is one thing. But growing up from a young age without a father is hard for a child.

That said. In my post I did say it has merit. I didn't say it was flawless, good or bad. It does how ever have good points and bad points.

They should put their efforts into stamping out the human trafficking, not penalise people who wish to marry a younger person, and as for fitting your bill , am not married and have no kids :whistling:

I was talking about the old part. ;) I agree. They definatley need to address the human trafficking trade. This law is a sorry attempt at doing so.

The law has some merit. I for one am sickened by what I see here in Thailand all too often. Some old dude cruzing around with his young 20 something bride and the little baby in tow. Which I might add that baby inevitably grows up without a father after he turns over from old age . And men enslaving thier 'wives' as prostitutes in thier homeland is another problem.

However it also has some laughable conditions. $2550 per month is a joke.If a Cambodian was on $2550k a month they would be in the high society group in Phnom Phen. Also the age thing should be adjusted to an age differential as opposed to the 'cannot marry' for over 50 year olds. So what they are saying is that a 51 year old foriegner wants to marry a 49 year old Khmer then that it against the law. Please.:lol:

This response deals with the part of your post where you write, “. I for one am sickened by what I see here in Thailand all too often. Some old dude cruzing around with his young 20 something bride and the little baby in tow.

If you replaced the words “old dude” with race, creed or color they would be obviously discriminatory and some might call you a bigot. But somehow you think on Thai Visa age discrimination is fair game. I don't really know but I should point out you may be suffering from Gerontophobia.

Ken Dychtwald identifies seven markers that can make up this phobia in chapter two of Age Wave

If young is good, then old is bad

If the young have it all, the old are losing it

If the young are creative, the old are dull

If the young are beautiful then the old are unattractive

If the young are stimulating, then the old are boring

If the young are full of passion, then the old are beyond caring

If the children are tomorrow, the old represent yesterday

Gerontophobia is a common ailment in the West but less so in Thailand. But don't worry as you get older it will disappear on its own without treatment. I can almost guarantee that when you become an old dude you will feel much differently.

I am still in a baby stage for the knowledge of Cambodia. It's very interesting for me. I am reading "a short history of CAMBODIA from empire to survival" by John Tully . But thank you anyway for your good information. ....... Unlike many dirty old Je***rks.... ...........I'm really sick of some of 'em..........dude

Edited by dunkin2012

One would think,that human trafficking is harder to conceal,considering you can't swallow women or stick em in your A***, so, with all the strict Visa laws that most countries presumabley have,how does this get through? payoffs?? unheard of in Australia,but it still happens, i had to wait 2 years and pay $2000 for my German wife to reside in Australia, is the problem at the supermarket or at home??? shit once again i forgot...no comment.

Seems harsh. But on the other hand straight people now can experience what the vast majority of the world's gay people have to live with, the state dictating who you can and can't marry.

This is a queer reply..!!

Totally different to the gay/lesbian thing. If you married a Cambodian woman outside of Cambodia it would still be recognised in other countries such as Australia. If a gay or lesbian found a country where they could legally marry then that marriage would still not be recognised in say Australia where it is ilegal. No I am not gay just your normal hetrosexual.

I would love to see this happen in Thailand, not because i agree with it but just to see the reaction by foreigners it would be pretty funny and I don't think it would last anyway, but boy i'd love to see the 88 pages of outrage on thaivisa:)

This response deals with the part of your post where you write, ". I for one am sickened by what I see here in Thailand all too often. Some old dude cruzing around with his young 20 something bride and the little baby in tow."

If you replaced the words "old dude" with race, creed or color they would be obviously discriminatory and some might call you a bigot. But somehow you think on Thai Visa age discrimination is fair game. I don't really know but I should point out you may be suffering from Gerontophobia.

Agree with you! Let's have pity with coma. He is probably just another young ****** who is jealous of us more mature, wealthy and established guys. He will see himself that once turning 50 life just begins.

Edited by eagleflyinghigh

hahahahaha,me too, but as mentioned before ,there would be an Isan uprising....lol

I would love to see this happen in Thailand, not because i agree with it but just to see the reaction by foreigners it would be pretty funny and I don't think it would last anyway, but boy i'd love to see the 88 pages of outrage on thaivisa:)