Male Foreigners Over 50 Outlawed From Marrying Cambodian Women

george

hahahahaha,me too, but as mentioned before ,there would be an Isan uprising....lol

I would love to see this happen in Thailand, not because i agree with it but just to see the reaction by foreigners it would be pretty funny and I don't think it would last anyway, but boy i'd love to see the 88 pages of outrage on thaivisa:)

Is that why many are here to be ISAN clan ? haha.................

Edited by dunkin2012

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Hun could have achieved his objective by withdrawing the right of the Cambodian lady marrying an older foreigner to leave the country for say 3 years. It's still a liberty infringement, but less so than an absolute marriage ban.

75% of the clientele of the PP bars are over 50. I wonder how this will affect the 'taxi girl' trade there.

ok I havent heard that one before. Whats the taxi girl trade?

Holy crap...

Also to add, so what they are saying is that most men in Cambodia is not giving their wives a decent life, if their definition is set at $2,550/m (75k baht/m).

Just take them across boarder to Merma or Thailand and marry and go back :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that Cambodia had borders with Thailand, Laos and Vietnam. I looked very carefully on several maps and couldn't find "Merma". Is this some in-joke I'm not aware of?!

I think he's mocking Burma. I assume so anyway, and yes it would probably be best to cross Thailand and go in from Ranong, or even fly in from Bkk. whistling.gif

The Hun could have achieved his objective by withdrawing the right of the Cambodian lady marrying an older foreigner to leave the country for say 3 years. It's still a liberty infringement, but less so than an absolute marriage ban.

75% of the clientele of the PP bars are over 50. I wonder how this will affect the 'taxi girl' trade there.

That's the good one I love it.........dude..........

The law has some merit. I for one am sickened by what I see here in Thailand all too often. Some old dude cruzing around with his young 20 something bride and the little baby in tow. Which I might add that baby inevitably grows up without a father after he turns over from old age . And men enslaving thier 'wives' as prostitutes in thier homeland is another problem.

However it also has some laughable conditions. $2550 per month is a joke.If a Cambodian was on $2550k a month they would be in the high society group in Phnom Phen. Also the age thing should be adjusted to an age differential as opposed to the 'cannot marry' for over 50 year olds. So what they are saying is that a 51 year old foriegner wants to marry a 49 year old Khmer then that it against the law. Please.:lol:

This post addresses the part of your post that says, “Which I might add that baby inevitably grows up without a father after he turns over from old age .”

Many cultures have a tradition of raising children with grandparents.

To take one I know about, Eskimos. The children were raised by the grandparents because the parents were off hunting to maintain the family.

I was raised by my grandparents. My grandfather had stopped working by the time I was 5 years old. He spent all day with me, teaching me the skills he had learned over a long life. We traveled the woods and streams of my homeland and I learned how to hunt and fish and grow crops. He taught me how to make beer and distill whiskey. He taught me how to shoot and track bear and deer. He taught me how to use a knife and carve wood and ivory. We were constant companions and he loved me far more than my father. And I loved my grandfather more than any other person in my life. He read a lot and passed that habit along to me. We didn't have TV so he told me stories at night. I never felt deprived because he was an old man and I was a young child. He had the time for me. He had the time to answer all of my silly childhood questions. Looking back at my childhood I don't know that it is not a better idea to raise children with grandparents than parents. The stress of working in the modern world takes its toll on family life.

Perhaps it is better to have a family unit home 24/7 in the raising of young offspring.

The old guys get my vote for the best way to bring up a young boy. A man gets married at 65 and has 10 or 15 good years with the children. That is enough for a good start for the offspring.

Surely the age barrier is a minority in human trafficking, not a majority percentage or is Cambodia in its usual witch hunting corruption, stating the majority of marriages over 50's is connected with human trafficking? What a croc and how absurd in a country still hiding in fear of reprisal from Khmer. Perhaps they need to establish an "Inquisition" and public floggings into anyone interested in marrying a Cambodian when over the age of 50. Cambodia is still in the Dark Ages.

You can't be happy all your life - you have to get married sooner or later! I waited until 53 and have a wonderful 33 year old Thai wife (at the time) and 2 great kids now. Maybe I'm not normal... it has been said! blink.gif Thank God I didn't chose a Cambodian girl!

20 years your junior. This is just the kind of cradle-robbing they are trying to avoid in Kampuchea.

This will make a lot of dirty old men upset.

At what age do you feel the term, "dirty old man" is accurate? Is it only a function of age? Or men getting married?

Or just old men who want to get married? Or would "dirty man" be appropriate for a Western man coming to Asia for a bride but under the age of 50? Would old men be upset if they could not get married? Or just dirty old men upset if they could not get married?

What makes a man dirty anyway? Such an interesting post. It brings up so many questions.

Ha ha ha ha ha.....

Marriage is such a silly concept anyway.

Why buy when you can rent?

As a guy over 50, I miss the days when the 5000 - 10000 Riel per service brothels dotted the city of Phnom Penh

That law is very very discriminatory.

What are you? A poor Richie Rich? Have you not rode in a taxi before?

What on Earth does banning 50+ yr. olds do? A 30 or 40 something can engage in human trafficking just as well as a 50+. Not to mention that the law is just plain odd. I've never heard of anything like it before.

If human trafficking is their actual target they should educate their populace. No law ever supercedes good judgement. Normal couples date, see movies, barhop, dance, go to restaurants, live separately for a while, etc. At least this is our western mindset for sure. If we were dealing with intelligence here these women would suddenly lay some western-style expectations on the men. The fakers and the con artists just wouldn't have the time or patience. I'm sure that at some point a lot of the human traffickers lay a deadline on these women. Probably something like, "I have to go home in one week. Will you come with me or not?" These women must be desperate to fall for that. I have to idea how these cons actually get carried out, but I'm sure that at some point decent judgement could avoid a lot of problems. dry.gif

So what is the average salary of a Cambodian guy who wants to marry ? :huh:

i could see a law regarding a difference of say 20 years, and/or a requirment showing gainful employment.

but this isn't much short of shocking...the salary requirement is ridiculous...what about the people who'd like to settle and live in Cambodia?? a teacher who earns $800-1200 a month teaching in Cambodia is making literally 10-20x the average Cambodian male and working half the hours.

i also think their target reason (human trafficking?)... really, the people that are trafficking will EASILY be able to show $2500 a month in legal earnings and how does age come into play with trafficking? a 30 year old can do it as easy as a 51 year old...

someone is stupid... very very stupid.

Edited by happysanook

good idea! Hope thailand follows suit! less marriages over money and less murder over old dudes' life insurance. Less guys with girls their grandaughters' age.

Hard to imagine many guys, if residing in cambodia, get over 2500 US dollars, unless they're working for an international company.

Sorts out the riff raff pretty quickly!

good idea! Hope thailand follows suit! less marriages over money and less murder over old dudes' life insurance. Less guys with girls their grandaughters' age.

Hard to imagine many guys, if residing in cambodia, get over 2500 US dollars, unless they're working for an international company.

At what age do you feel the term, "dirty old man" is accurate? Is it only a function of age? Or men getting married?

Or just old men who want to get married? Or would "dirty man" be appropriate for a Western man coming to Asia for a bride but under the age of 50? Would old men be upset if they could not get married? Or just dirty old men upset if they could not get married?

What makes a man dirty anyway? Such an interesting post. It brings up so many questions.

everyone knows what dirty old men are, yourself included.

So what is the average salary of a Cambodian guy who wants to marry ? :huh:

I have a Khmer friend who works for the Cambodian government as a full-time tax officer. Monthly wage: $25 or 1/100th of the amount foreign men need to earn before marrying a Cambodian wife.

I think it mainly came about for two fairly sure reasons, bearing in mind that stereotypes often have kernels of truth about them. One, I think it could easily just be a description of old men still having a sex drive, and it's just a cute/naughty thing to say. Two, I think it could be related to the fact that a lot of younger men aren't fully, sexually expressive yet b/c they haven't quite developed the confidence. I can say, at least for myself, that as I've aged I have gotten dirtier. Not that it wasn't there before, but I just wasn't ready to explore it. This isn't negative I don't think, it's still just sex, but simply the act itself can get boring over the years without some added excitement.

The young guys still have the bodies and the hair, but us older guys have got the moves down and patented I reckon. I can pleasure a woman about, honestly, ten-fold better today vs. the me of a decade+ ago. I'll take dirty old man as a compliment gladly. wink.gif

Have you ever really asked yourself why it bothers you to see old men married to young women?

Makes you feel a fool?

It bothers some people to see people of different races, creeds and colors married to people of different races, creeds and colors too.

The motivation to discriminate is the same. Those people are not like you are they?

You know exactly what i mean by "dirty old man". No need to humour yourself with a litany of pointless questions.

hahahahahaha

Good for Farang. This will avoid stupid farang to fall in the trap of wedding young rip off women who will screw them by making them a kid and then pump as much money from their wallet.

Thanks Cambodia to protect farangs from wedding rip off!!!

Edited by nikkoid66

Older foreigners give Issan more financial assistance then any NGO or UN

Here is what you should say:

Dirty old Farangs contribute substantial financial aid to ISAN families Than any NGOs or the UN. Haha.... Dude... That's amused.....

hahahahahaha

Good for Farang. This will avoid stupid farang to fall in the trap of wedding young rip off women who will screw them by making them a kid and then pump as much money from their wallet.

In this sense, I agree.............. too

That's a good point,save some men from themselves hehehe

hahahahahaha

Have you ever really asked yourself why it bothers you to see old men married to young women?

Makes you feel a fool?

It bothers some people to see people of different races, creeds and colors married to people of different races, creeds and colors too.

The motivation to discriminate is the same. Those people are not like you are they?

it makes you feel guilty and defensive...like you rant on "what is dirty?" "let's define dirty" like you're bill clinton avoiding the obvious.....

No fool..I 've got my family, a woman my age....wouldn't get a girl 3 generations younger than me.

It doesn't bother me, but rather I laugh at old snakeheads with girls 3 generations younger.

You can't take the heat, that's all this is about, haha.

Older foreigners give Issan more financial assistance then any NGO or UN

Here is what you should say:

Dirty old Farangs contribute substantial financial aid to ISAN families Than any NGOs or the UN. Haha.... Dude... That's amused.....

hilarious 'cause it contains a lotta truth! Man, and all the life insurance payouts and claims prolly add up to more than thaksin's payouts and assets as well.

What a crock of <deleted>. This will probably give the Thai politicians some new ideas. I married my 49 year old Thai wife when I was 56. So what's this "robbing the cradle" BS? Most of my over 50 friends are married to middle aged Thai women! Come on... And I don't know anyone in a "sham marriage"

Edited by connda