Where To Stay.....

RhodeIslandRed

I am going to visit a friend in Songhla in a few weeks....should I stay in Hat Yai or Songhla and what is the distance between both cities?.....also any suggestions on accomodations.....much appreciated...thanks

Songkhla is approximately thirty km from Hat Yai. It's about an hour from one to the other by local bus if memory serves me correctly (because the bus takes forever to get out of Songkhla). There is also shared minivan and shared taxi service. Both are faster but these can get pretty claustrophobic as they really cram the passengers into both the minivans and the taxis.

I am going to visit a friend in Songhla in a few weeks....should I stay in Hat Yai or Songhla and what is the distance between both cities?.....also any suggestions on accomodations.....much appreciated...thanks

Songkhla is approximately thirty km from Hat Yai. It's about an hour from one to the other by local bus if memory serves me correctly (because the bus takes forever to get out of Songkhla). There is also shared minivan and shared taxi service. Both are faster but these can get pretty claustrophobic as they really cram the passengers into both the minivans and the taxis.

Good to know..where is he going to stay? His friend is not saying anything.

Hat Yai is ok for a night or two but Songkhla wins hands down. There is absolutely no reason why you should stay in Hat Yai when your buddy is in Songkhla. The Pavilion Hotel is nice: say you're with Unocal or Haliburton for a discount (780 baht); normal price about 1,000. BP Samila on the beach is the best in town; about 1,200. Budget option - Royal Crown at about 450 baht. Head for Sadao Road at the top of town for the ladies and Koh Yoh (island) for the seafood. Wyoming Bar, going out of town, is an absolute must.

In Hat Yai, try The Pub, Post Laser Disc and The Swan for beer, and the Pink Lady for...

Green bus - 14 baht, Minivan - 18 baht, taxi - 150 baht, maybe 200. Taxi to Songkhla is the only option from the airport at 500 baht, about 40kms.

Good luck :o

Hat Yai is ok for a night or two but Songkhla wins hands down. There is absolutely no reason why you should stay in Hat Yai when your buddy is in Songkhla. The Pavilion Hotel is nice: say you're with Unocal or Haliburton for a discount (780 baht); normal price about 1,000. BP Samila on the beach is the best in town; about 1,200. Budget option - Royal Crown at about 450 baht. Head for Sadao Road at the top of town for the ladies and Koh Yoh (island) for the seafood. Wyoming Bar, going out of town, is an absolute must.

In Hat Yai, try The Pub, Post Laser Disc and The Swan for beer, and the Pink Lady for...

Green bus - 14 baht, Minivan - 18 baht, taxi - 150 baht, maybe 200. Taxi to Songkhla is the only option from the airport at 500 baht, about 40kms.

Good luck :o

Last time i was there i was sent to the bp samila because of security threats. Must say though i prefer the pavillion.. Songklah is about 40 minutes drive from hat yai.

I can't help but to comment on why some people, yes you, "think too mut" like to act like an ididot. Here we have a member of our forum ask for some advice and suggestions. I did not answer because I am not familiar with the area and can offer no suggestions, but three members were kind enough to offer their perspective and give some ideas to the poster. TTM however offers his own form of advice, ask a stupid question. Isn't that what the forum is all about, helping one another out if we can. Remember the old adage, if you have nothing good to say, then say nothing.

We recently found the BP Samila Beach Hotel OK & clean, but the inclusive breakfast-buffet aimed determinedly at Chinese/Malaysian tastes, rather than farangs, and the pool-facilities sparse.

Have therefore resolved to try the newer Pavilion next time.

There's also a newish hotel (low rise, palm trees everywhere) that faces Samila Beach and could be one up from the BP Samila. It's called the something Pavilion Songkhla as well? Never seen the rooms but I'm guessing they're good. Huge dining area upstairs and a nice pool area. Bit out of the way mind and in this respect the Pavilion (in town) wins hands down - shame it has no pool though.

Additional: Yes, the BP Samila breakfasts are dire :o:D

Edited by jackr

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. Good to get some first hand advice rather than some pictures on a website..........boy they look good don't they. And to you """MUT""", not that its any of your business, but this is to be a surprise visit, reason for not asking my friend.

There's also a newish hotel (low rise, palm trees everywhere) that faces Samila Beach and could be one up from the BP Samila. It's called the something Pavilion Songkhla as well? Never seen the rooms but I'm guessing they're good. Huge dining area upstairs and a nice pool area. Bit out of the way mind and in this respect the Pavilion (in town) wins hands down - shame it has no pool though.

Additional: Yes, the BP Samila breakfasts are dire :o  :D

Dinners are even worse - bad food, lousy service, awful music. Rooms are nice though. Lobby could do with some lights - terribly depressing place.

Spent 3 nights there last week, and was very pleased to leave.

Have seen this in other middle-of-the-range hotels in Thailand, the places just deteriorate, when with only a minimum of investment/effort, the quality of the place could easily be improved drastically. BP Samila has all the signs of a management who simply does not care anymore.

Have seen this in other middle-of-the-range hotels in Thailand, the places just deteriorate, when with only a minimum of investment/effort, the quality of the place could easily be improved drastically.  BP Samila has all the signs of a management who simply does not care anymore.

All they need is some farang management. :D So that will never happen then. TiT. :o

BP Samila has all the signs of a management who simply does not care anymore.

All they need is some farang management. :D So that will never happen then. TiT. :o

The underlying shortcoming of the BP Samila Hotel is that it is somehow connected to the Thai government. That's why it's never promoted as one might expect for what could be a resort property. My Thai friends and I actually enjoy staying there but we admit that the hotel is what it is. Any time my friends have called the BP Samila for reservations, the first question they are asked is with which government department they are affiliated ("none" being the answer).

• 3 months later...

RhodeIslandRed,

Not sure if I'm too late with this inof, but the Royal Crown in Songkla is a fairly good hotel for around 600 or 700 baht per night (550,- 3 years ago!), it's around the corner of Thanon Srisusda.

Very enjoyable and laid back city it is.

Enjoy your stay.

The underlying shortcoming of the BP Samila Hotel is that it is somehow connected to the Thai government.  That's why it's never promoted as one might expect for what could be a resort property.  My Thai friends and I actually enjoy staying there but we admit that the hotel is what it is.  Any time my friends have called the BP Samila for reservations, the first question they are asked is with which government department they are affiliated ("none" being the answer).

This is a common question asked by reservation staff when booking by phone at hotels with conference facilities.

Government departments tend to hold plenty of conferences and the income from conferences is welcomed by the hotels.

The rates for government staff tend to be about 60-75% of the normal walk-in rate.

If your partner has a Government ID card, they show their ID card at check-in and you will get the Government rate. Occasionally hotels require Government staff to place a refundable deposit on check-in.

The rates for government staff tend to be about 60-75% of the normal walk-in rate.

If your partner has a Government ID card, they show their ID card at check-in and you will get the Government rate. Occasionally hotels require Government staff to place a refundable deposit on check-in.

Can't speak for now, but some years ago, the standard discount for government folks in hotels was a measly 10%......

Can't speak for now, but some years ago, the standard discount for government folks in hotels was a measly 10%......

Hi Ajarn

I've stayed with my partner at 11 different hotels and resorts in a number of cities this past year. The discounts varied and were in the range I quoted. 1,600B reduced to 1,050B etc The refundable deposit to cover the room mini bar is normally 1,000B. Some hotels ask for it, others don't.

Off topic, for the past few months, Government staff holidaying in the Tsunami provinces have their holiday time refunded on return if they show proof of their visit. This was an initiative to improve the economy in those areas.

Looks like things are looking up for Government staff.

Good to see you posting Ajarn. I hope you are fit and healthy again. I've enjoyed your posts.

Farma

• 1 month later...

Better than a poke in the eye!

• 2 weeks later...

We would recommend both the National Museum, and General Prem Tinsulanonda's birthplace next doors, the latter is a lovely old teak post-house. If only they made them like that now (at a price I could afford).

The zoo, 3-4 km out-of-town, is OK, especially for the views back to Songkhla (it's on a hill), but not marvelous. Our kids enjoyed it.