BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
RhodeIslandRed

Where To Stay.....

The underlying shortcoming of the BP Samila Hotel is that it is somehow connected to the Thai government.  That's why it's never promoted as one might expect for what could be a resort property.  My Thai friends and I actually enjoy staying there but we admit that the hotel is what it is.  Any time my friends have called the BP Samila for reservations, the first question they are asked is with which government department they are affiliated ("none" being the answer).

This is a common question asked by reservation staff when booking by phone at hotels with conference facilities.

Government departments tend to hold plenty of conferences and the income from conferences is welcomed by the hotels.

The rates for government staff tend to be about 60-75% of the normal walk-in rate.

If your partner has a Government ID card, they show their ID card at check-in and you will get the Government rate. Occasionally hotels require Government staff to place a refundable deposit on check-in.

The rates for government staff tend to be about 60-75% of the normal walk-in rate.

If your partner has a Government ID card, they show their ID card at check-in and you will get the Government rate. Occasionally hotels require Government staff to place a refundable deposit on check-in.

Can't speak for now, but some years ago, the standard discount for government folks in hotels was a measly 10%......

Can't speak for now, but some years ago, the standard discount for government folks in hotels was a measly 10%......

Hi Ajarn

I've stayed with my partner at 11 different hotels and resorts in a number of cities this past year. The discounts varied and were in the range I quoted. 1,600B reduced to 1,050B etc The refundable deposit to cover the room mini bar is normally 1,000B. Some hotels ask for it, others don't.

Off topic, for the past few months, Government staff holidaying in the Tsunami provinces have their holiday time refunded on return if they show proof of their visit. This was an initiative to improve the economy in those areas.

Looks like things are looking up for Government staff.

Good to see you posting Ajarn. I hope you are fit and healthy again. I've enjoyed your posts.

Farma

Better than a poke in the eye!

We would recommend both the National Museum, and General Prem Tinsulanonda's birthplace next doors, the latter is a lovely old teak post-house. If only they made them like that now (at a price I could afford).

The zoo, 3-4 km out-of-town, is OK, especially for the views back to Songkhla (it's on a hill), but not marvelous. Our kids enjoyed it.