British Pilot Dies In Phuket Accident

webfact

British pilot dies in Phuket accident

PHUKET: -- Police are investigating the death of a 41-year-old British pilot after he came off his bike south of Patong, on Phuket’s west coast, and was run over by an oncoming pickup on Saturday.

Capt Weerapong Rakkittoo of Patong Police said that Martin William Wooller was riding northbound to Patong after spending the afternoon swimming at Karon Beach when the accident happened.

On his way back to his rented apartment near the C&N Hotel on Rat-U-Thit 200 Pi Road, Mr Wooller was struck by a pickup heading southbound near Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort on Sirirat Road at about 6pm.

When police arrived at the scene Mr Wooller was found lying on the southbound side of the road, said Capt Weerapong.

“He might have been overtaking another motorbike heading toward Patong or he may have slipped off his bike and fallen onto the wrong side of the road, before he was struck by the oncoming pickup,” he said.

A Kusoldham Foundation rescue volunteer who responded to the emergency call told the Phuket Gazette that Mr Wooller was still conscious at the time rescue volunteers arrived.

“He couldn’t open his eyes because he had suffered serious head injury. There were deep cuts on his face and his neck was swollen,” he said.

Mr Wooller was taken to Patong Hospital then transferred to Phuket International Hospital, but despite best efforts by medical staff there Mr Wooller died from his injuries at about 10pm, Capt Weerapong said.

“We are still investigating what happened, and we are still questioning witnesses and the pickup driver,” he added.

Capt Weerapong confirmed that the British embassy in Bangkok had been notified of the incident and so had Mr Wooller’s next of kin.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-03-21

As sad & tragic as this is people are bring killed on our roads virtually on a daily basis but most of it is not reported. Just over a week ago I was travelling from Chalong to pick up my kids from the night market. As I approached by the Honda showroom I could see a SUV stopped in the outer lane about 20m before the U turn with a pickup trying to ease out into the inside lane (I actually stopped to let him go). There were a couple of farangs running about waving their arms but as I could not see anyone injured I thought they were being a bit melodramatic as the only other thing I could see was a smashed motorbike about 10m in front of the SUV. The accident must have ocurred just moments before I got there. However, I passed by there again about 30 minutes later coming from the shortcut road from Kathu. When I got to the junction there were 3 rescue vehicles parked & lying on the road about 10m behind the SUV, covered in a white sheet, was some unfortunate soul who's nationality I could not determine as all I could see was an arm sticking out. At this stage it was getting crowded as many people parked on the other side of the road & were standing/gawking on the centre island.

Over the years I have seen many dead & dying people lying on our roads most of which is not reported, in the English language media anyway. My point is this. If all the carnage on our roads was accurately reported & publicized then maybe, just maybe, people will drive more safely.

I drive from Karon to Patong and back every day. This high season has had the worst motor bike driving I have every seen. And they are mostly all tourists. Every day I see at least one m/bike in the drainage ditch and people injured.

RIP Martin William Wooller

It took about 15 maybe 20 minutes for the ambulance to arrive at the scene. Unfortunately Mr. Wooller, remained unconscious for this whole period and was certainly not conscious when the paramedics arrived, which considering the injuries Mr. Wooller sustained is hardly surprising.

I never met you, but will never forget you. RIP Mr. Wooller.