Is Chiang Mai Flooded?

Chainat1

Hi all

I'm planning a trip with friends to Chiang Mai in October/November.

My wife has been reading the Thai news on the net and says that CM has just had really bad flooding and damage and there are major storms to come. She also says the road between Tak and CH (through the mountains) has been badly damaged. :o

Does anybody know anything about this ?

What's been affected and how bad ? (if anything)

Would you still recommend I take my trip to CM ?

Thanks in advance for you help.

C1

The town's fine and business as usual. A major storm seemed to miss us last week and there are reports that more are on the way, but it is the rainy season after all...go for it but don't blame me if you get caught up as the Ping is a finnicky one and like a yoyo :o

All the best

October/November the rains would normally have finished. There should be no problems at all

November pretty much a certainty to be OK. Left my moo bahn near Hang Dong this morning and several streets and sois were flooded and water coming out of the drains. Really unusual out here. Must have slept through it, didn't even know it was raining :o

Just drove over a bridge over the Ping at 11.30am, it looks omionous. There were twenty to thirty people standing, watching along with the Police. Its about at the brim now. If we get more rain there could be trouble in Chaing Mai as the clouds look quite menacing.

If you live in the city and it starts to rain heavily again -beware

I don't mean to be a naysayer, just saying it as I saw it.

The Night Bazaar is flooding right now. The water is almost to McDonalds. Obviously the CHEDI hotel has been flooded again.

Donpayom (spelling?) market is flooded. The water came down off the mountain and overflowed the canal.

Hang Dong and Baan Tawaii are flooded.

The water is headed for Sarapee and I am in the midst of sandbagging.

Rain is predicted tonight!!

Get out your boat!!!!!!

:o