Monkey Export

yodaurio

i will be travelling to thailand and realize they have an abundance of monkeys. I've always wanted a monkey and know about the local permits. i do not know if there are places to purchase a trained monkey and export it back here. also what customs issues will there be in the united states. i've reseached the purchsing of one here, but think it would definately be cheaper in thailand..

anybody had any expierience with this?

Some wild guy named Tarzan got into the act long before you.

He took a local monkey called 'Cheeta' back to the jungle with him.

In these modern times there are falangs who come to Thailand and take some of the locals home with them to Falangland. Some of these locals are very unfaithful and are classified as 'cheaters.'

Cheeta's and cheaters belong in the jungle. Leave them there.

You probably will not qualify to trade ("traffic") internationally in exotic wildlife - but if you have enough desire (and enough funds), you may be succcessful.

Rest assured that it will be expensive - well above US $1,000, not counting the cost of the animal. The folks at http://www.asianwildlife.com/cp/ can help you sort out the details - for a fee.

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

interesting.. I saw a farang riding a scooter the other day with a monkey on his shoulder..

I really wanted to stop the guy and talk to him and have a look at the little fella but was travelling in opposite directions...

I too am curious about them as a long term pet but have no idea about lifespans, health issues, conservation issues and importantly for me if they are bred and reared or come from having mother killed and captured..

Does anyone have good links or info on this topic ??

In these modern times there are falangs who come to Thailand and take some of the locals home with them to Falangland. Some of these locals are very unfaithful and are classified as 'cheaters.'

Cheeta's and cheaters belong in the jungle.  Leave them there.

Brilliant ! :o:D:D:D

all monkeys are CITES I animals (only authorized zoos etc can keep/import/export/breed

theyare horrible pets and dangerous; if u have never had an exotic pet other than a snake or a dog, forget it

plus u are helping to destroy whats left of jungle and its creatures :o

i've worked with monkeys; my daughter now works with monkeys (the new world ones) and they are cute fun and nasty nasty nasty

adopting a monkey for rehab and release only if u are an authorized organization

the people that own monkeys privately are doing so illegally in almost all countries unless they have a handicap/trained monkey and there are very few of those

:D

bina,

petting zoo manager

israel

Many years ago my neighbors had a young gibbon. As it matured it got more and more aggressive. It learned to let itself out of its cage (very large one but still a cage) and eventually bit a small child that was walking past. As these animals sexually mature they become very aggressive. Hence the need for the gibbon rehabilitation project in Phuket (which is where this gibbon ended up). Not a good idea.

And I agree with Bina on this one, by purchasing these animals you are encouraging not only the destruction of their habitat but the poaching that often occurs in order to obtain a young one.

Get a dog or a cat instead.

• 3 months later...

Just a slight exageration that ALL monkies are being held illegaly in EVERY country unless you are a zoo or wildelfie park etc.

Just do some research on America alone and you can see you can own various monkey types.

I have 2 marmosets here in Los, they are great.

wish nignoy could clarify (he's ex zoo keeper ).... as far as i know ALL monkeys are not allowed to be kept as pets; the fact that americans keep leopards and other exotics for pets doesnt mean it is legal, it just means they havent been caught and those particular people are irresponsible and have lots of money to waste....

and enjoy destrying ntural resources

i CAN tell u that at the moment there is a suplus of captive born green gibbons, chimps , spider monkeys , etc.... so the jerus. zoo is now putting the breeding programs on hold (birthcontrol for the females to reverse if need be)... as of this week actually

there are loads of 'pet' monkeys in 'welfare homes' for unwanted monkeys almost all have behavioral problems, etc but cannot go back or released to the wild

my five years experience with spider monkeys squirrel monkeys, gibbons, and one babboon is that there are no nice monkeys unless u are a monkey caretaker like my daughter and then you are a monkey freak/fanatic and they will also tell u:

buyer beware, monkeys can be very very nasty as reach sexual maturity, etc they are not domesticated animals and are not predictable... our male hated hated hated all females ( and attack us many times- he had been abused before he arrived to us- he was moved to the jerus. zoo; didnt work out, now has been moved to a waiting rehab center to go overseas--- he had been somebody's pet a long time ago....

marmosets are cute but can be disasterous also....

and monkeys are for life

i dislike people that engage in selling/buying of wild animals that are not domestic and are potentially dangerous... i have no patience....

stick with goats, dogs, buffalos

wish nignoy could clarify (he's ex zoo keeper ).... as far as i know ALL monkeys are not allowed to be kept as pets; the fact that americans keep leopards and other exotics for pets doesnt mean it is legal, it just means they havent been caught and those particular people are irresponsible and have lots of money to waste....

and enjoy destrying ntural resources

i CAN tell u that at the moment there is a suplus of captive born green gibbons, chimps , spider monkeys , etc.... so the jerus. zoo is now putting the breeding programs on hold (birthcontrol for the females to reverse if need be)... as of this week actually

there are loads of 'pet' monkeys in 'welfare homes' for unwanted monkeys almost all have behavioral problems, etc but cannot go back or released to the wild

my five years experience with spider monkeys squirrel monkeys, gibbons, and one babboon is that there are no nice monkeys unless u are a monkey caretaker like my daughter and then you are a monkey freak/fanatic and they will also tell u:

buyer beware, monkeys can be very very nasty as reach sexual maturity, etc they are not domesticated animals and are not predictable... our male hated hated hated all females ( and attack us many times- he had been abused before he arrived to us- he was moved to the jerus. zoo; didnt work out, now has been moved to a waiting rehab center to go overseas--- he had been somebody's pet a long time ago....

marmosets are cute but can be disasterous also....

and monkeys are for life

i dislike people that engage in selling/buying of wild animals that are not domestic and are potentially dangerous... i have no patience....

stick with goats, dogs, buffalos

Well folks I highly reccomend any form of monkeys or apes aS pets as long as they MADE OUT OF CLOTH AND ARE STUFFED WITH COTTON WOOL. :o The most dangerous animal in captivity is a mature male monkey or ape, aw these cute and cuddly little babies :D <deleted>, marmosets live in families, kept in 1s and 2s in private homes are sentenced to a living mental hel_l!! over the years I have worked on a few captive breeding programmes especially Orangs and Bonobo,s(dwarf or pygmy chimpanzee first discovered in the 70,s), monkeys have a brain to think with ,hands to grab you with and the ability to make and use tools!! I could write pages and pages on the things chimps get up to, oh how cute!! give the monkey a banana Crap!! lots of them are carnivores, hunter killers !! have been with animals all my life have handreared tigers , grizzlies,if its got fur or feather I have handled it at some time or other. If any of you Oldtimers remember a film called Hatari well that was filmed on one of the trading properties I used to supervise, but the only animals that have bitten or attacked me are cute loveable <deleted> monkeys and apes , the amount of times I have been chewed by baby chimps aint funny :D and as for gibbons beautiful animals , but those big Incisors the male has they aint for eating lollies :D a 12 month old pet male gibbon , escaped from its owner in Konstanz in 1980 it attacked a little girl and tore her face off, I darted it with Rompun a strong seditive, but it still managed to bite a 7 centimetre chunk out of my arm. Please people dont buy monkeys !! that supports the illegal animal trade, they make lousy pets, buy yourself a Rocking Horse :D Dont have to feed them they dont smear <deleted> everywhere and kids love em!!!Nignoy

Reminds me of an embassy party my friend went to, loaded with dignitaries, one of the embassador's kids had a small monkey on the loose in the place. No one could catch the thing which kept popping up all over the place masturbating, running away and coming back for more sessions. :o

pancho, our notorious spider monkey, got loose once (when double monkey proof doors weren't extreme affairs like now) the kibbutz went in to emergency terrorist infiltration procedures (kids kept inside etc) until the famous (cant remember his name) monkey vet from tel aviv /petach tikva came to dart him....

he succeeded in biting and scratching serioiusly two people: his caretaker, and an innocent bystander; a previous time he escapes when his persoanl caretaker was a bit careless and i had a park full of people: an angry spider monkey male is no joke... again the 'emergency terrorist procedure' (animal loose procedure) was applied....

thanx nignoy for backing me up....

pancho is still on waiting list for 5!!! years now to go somewhere else, he is old and hates women, and other spider monkeys... poor thing

mali the babboon once grabbed me thru her transfer cage; still have scars on arms

my 18 yr old now works with chimps; im not really thrilled although they do go through intensive training and regulations (the chimps are high contact since jerus. zoo is a high contact zoo for whatever reason)...

off topic i know but still.....

nignoy what was that movie???? my kid wants to know (she's the one that works at the big zoo)

pancho, our notorious spider monkey, got loose once (when double monkey proof doors weren't extreme affairs like now) the kibbutz went in to emergency terrorist infiltration procedures (kids kept inside etc) until the famous (cant remember his name) monkey vet from tel aviv /petach tikva came to dart him....

he succeeded in biting and scratching serioiusly two people: his caretaker, and an innocent bystander; a previous time he escapes when his persoanl caretaker was a bit careless and i had a park full of people: an angry spider monkey male is no joke... again the 'emergency terrorist procedure' (animal loose procedure) was applied....

thanx nignoy for backing me up....

pancho is still on waiting list for 5!!! years now to go somewhere else, he is old and hates women, and other spider monkeys... poor thing

mali the babboon once grabbed me thru her transfer cage; still have scars on arms

my 18 yr old now works with chimps; im not really thrilled although they do go through intensive training and regulations (the chimps are high contact since jerus. zoo is a high contact zoo for whatever reason)...

off topic i know but still.....

nignoy what was that movie???? my kid wants to know (she's the one that works at the big zoo)

The Movie is Called Hatari, starred john wayne and claudia cardinale its about catching wild animals in africa, High contact zoo,s seem to be the in thing these days, keeper contact is good, but I have never been a fan of doing the doctor dolittle thing, of course its a great feeling to be able to play with tigers or call down an Eagle before a huge crowd in a flying display, we had an ocelot called Bimbo for 8 years.who lived at home with us like a housecat, he was daft as a brush ,until he decided our spaniel was dinner, there is no such thing as a harmless animal!! over the years I have lost 9 friends, all qualified ,experienced ,zookeepers killed by the animals they worked with and loved!!nignoy

Cheeta's and cheaters belong in the jungle. Leave them there.

This should have been in the Jokes section!

Seriously though, some wild animals just don't domesticate! Think long and hard about ANY decision to keep ANY pet. Even dogs and cats bring with them great responsibility for the owners.

Always intrigues me as how the 'experts' believe they are the only capable souls on the planet. Do any of you guys have 'leave it to the experts' stickers on the back of your volvos ??
never considered myself an expert, :D have had a few experiences in my life, and if someone can draw benefit from any info I can pass on, whats the harm in that :o have got a steve irwins a prick!! sticker on my Hammock :D Nignoy

Always intrigues me as how the 'experts' believe they are the only capable souls on the planet. Do any of you guys have 'leave it to the experts' stickers on the back of your volvos ??

never considered myself an expert, :D have had a few experiences in my life, and if someone can draw benefit from any info I can pass on, whats the harm in that :D have got a steve irwins a prick!! sticker on my Hammock :D Nignoy

I'd like that in big letters on a T-shirt :o