Flood Report

Gonzo the Face

Chiangmai 16.30 hrs and just got back home after an adverturous drive to put it mildly.  I took a load of shots from the bridge on the Super highway near Lotus through the city to Kampaengdin, south onto the Superhighway and back.

As always, a picture's worth a thousand words - great reporting. From what my untrained eye sees in your photos, it doesn't look like the water level is an awful lot lower than it was last month during the big flood. Anybody care to comment...?

Definately a lot lower Ovenman. Both Loi Kroh and Kampaengdin were dry, but there were floods today in places that didn't flood last time. Probably drainage :o

If you want to look at some humerous ones taken around Loi Kroh last time click on THIS LINK Maejo

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The river levels continued to rise until approx 10AM.... Held for a while then slowly started to recede.... hopefully this was just a controlled release....

In any event I now have a back yard full of water and more fresh mud on top of the not yet removed mud from the flood 4 - 5 days ago

Lets hope for no more rain from any trop. depressions..

My friends are due to go up to CM in three weeks.  How is the Night Market area and the rest of the city in regards to touring?

Maybe you should ask this after Typhoon Damrey has passed through and dumped it's load. Looks likely to be an interesting week coming up.

Agreed

Starting to look like yesterdays sudden rise in water level was a controlled release no matter what any one says..... yesterday [sunday]came up fast leveled off and then went back.... water in back yard, water went back out by sunset, but the mud and silt stayed....

This morning [Monday] water came back up since sunrise and is in back yard again.... looks like more water released from a dam up river..... maybe in anticipation of a very heavy rain Tues and Weds like they are calling for from the incoming typhoon

:o

Water rise so far has mostly been controlled release although there was also rain in Chiang Dao 3-4 days ago .

Serious sandbagging and dam building going on around the Ping River this morning.

Somebody thinks we are going to get a lot of rain! :o:D

Friends in Saraphi etc moving furniture again, although most people now seem to live permanently on 2nd floor of their house.

Much demand for good massage therapists in those low lying areas - most people seem to have put their back out! :D

Spoke to some friends who have office /houses near to the moat and they replied ..what water?... so appears that area is OK.

Believe that the market may however still be under which probabally means Red L and O Ms bar will be doing sandwiches.

Easy and Spotlight reported to be OK. :o

Water rise so far has mostly been controlled release although there was also rain in Chiang Dao 3-4 days ago .

Serious sandbagging and dam building going on around the Ping River this morning.

Somebody thinks we are going to get a lot of rain!  :o  :D

Friends in Saraphi etc  moving furniture again, although most people now seem to live permanently on 2nd floor of their house.

Much demand for good massage therapists in those low lying areas - most people seem to have put their back out!  :D

I talked to my wife this morning..... she is getting tired of moving the computers and furniture from the ground floor upstairs and has decided to wait until I return home in October to re-arrange the furniture again.

As to controlled releases...... Are they in fact controlled? A simple CE equation! Minimum capacity of the river in Liters/hr=Capacity of the controlled realease! Once the release exceeds the capacity you have flooding. The reason the minimum value is used is that some areas might have a meandering river (Ss) and they have a larger capacity, but other areas might have a straight river (Less capacity). Technically, Chiangmai is sitting between the extremes. I think someone upstream is using capacities from downstream of Chiangmai to calculate the releases. Consequently we get flooded!

Well as Yogi Berra was want to say "I think I got that Dej-a-Vue again"

The flood water is back.... for me, on the river this has been the 6th flood this year. Since the 14th of August which is something like 6 weeks. A flood for me is the river out of its banks, and into my yard for enough time to leave the mud and silt or worse.

For whatever the reason this one, coming up currently, looks at this point to be the 3rd worse, meaning that its gotten into my back buildings and now coming up to the main house and then to the street....

The Thai flood warning system is just amazing.... how a flood gate can be broken/locked/stuck open for 5 days and the warning just comes 24 or less hours before '0' Hour.

Maybe 'Mai-pen-rai' equates to 'iss no my yob mon"

:o

This pic was taken at 08:00 this am, of the Mengrai Bridge. The two previous flood sessions the water covered the transverse blue pipe you can see running the length of the brige. So getting near the 'previous best'. The white house in the background had water up to about 18" from the bottom windows on the two previous occasions.

Heard last night the Mae Taeng dam was breached, any news?

post-19428-1127956782_thumb.jpg

Hourly water level at Maetang and Narawat Bridge:

http://www.hydro-1.net/

Click second item down in left hand column..

Reading at Narawat has increased hourly for more than last 24...

says takes 6-7 for water to go from P.67 to P.1 (Narawat)...

It would appear that the level should continue to rise for at least another 6 hours...

Great site Thanks

Does Anyone know about Chank Klan Night Bazar area

Is it worse than the first time????

Hourly water level at Maetang and Narawat Bridge:

Click second item down in left hand column..

It would appear that the level should continue to rise for at least another 6 hours...

Looks like as of 6:00 pm that the Ping crested at Ban Maetae in Sansai (P.67). Assuming no further rise there, the Ping should crest at Narawat Bridge around midnight.

As to controlled releases...... Are they in fact controlled? A simple CE equation! Minimum capacity of the river in Liters/hr=Capacity of the controlled realease! Once the release exceeds the capacity you have flooding. The reason the minimum value is used is that some areas might have a meandering river (Ss) and they have a larger capacity, but other areas might have a straight river (Less capacity). Technically, Chiangmai is sitting between the extremes. I think someone upstream is using capacities from downstream of Chiangmai to calculate the releases. Consequently we get flooded!

The term 'controlled release' means that someone will open the water gates and let the water out at some predetermined rate.....'uncontrolleld release' means that the dam has burst and noone is controlling how much flows...a controlled release often does involve flooding but the intent is usually to lower the peak of the flood by lengthening its duration....to open the water gates and cause flooding is always unpopular with someone but is sometimes really the best thing for everyone since it does lower the peak (if done properly) and also can prevent the failure of a dam.

Last Official report at 11p.m. showed that increase in Ping River at Narawat Bridge

only 4 mm in last 4 hour period. MaeTang steady decrease in same period.

I just looked at the superhighway north of town and it seems to be a little less that the peak of the Big Flood.

Did have 2" of rain here about 7-8 p.m, effect of that unkown...

Fingers crossed... doesn't look like will get much more precip tonight...

Latest:

HYDROLOGY AND WATER MANAGEMENT CENTER

FOR UPPER NORTHERN REGION

(CHIANGMAI THAILAND)

Situation for Ping River, September 29, 2005. Reported at 8pm.

Water level in the north started to recede. Water level at P.1 station at Nawarat Bridge still rising but at a slower rate. Water level is expected to stabilize at 5m. at around 11pm.

Daily Weather Forcast

Distribution On Monday 29 September 2005

Time issued 1700 L.S.T.

General Situation:

Southwest monsoon prevails over the Andaman sea, Thailand and the Gulf. Scattered showers are expected in the country. People living in the at-risk area for flood from bank overflow along Ping River such as A. Muang, Chiangmai province and Lumphun province; Wang River such as Lumpang and Tak provinces, should prepare and be on the watch out. They should also follow the weather forecast at 053- 277919 , 053-281271 and 053-922360.

Latest:

HYDROLOGY AND WATER MANAGEMENT CENTER

FOR UPPER NORTHERN REGION

(CHIANGMAI THAILAND)

Situation for Ping River, September 29, 2005.  Reported at 8pm.

Water level in the north started to recede.  Water level at P.1 station at Nawarat Bridge still rising but at a slower rate.  Water level is expected to stabilize at 5m. at around 11pm.

Daily Weather Forcast

Distribution On Monday I think they meant Thursday  29 September 2005

Time issued 1700 L.S.T.

General Situation:

Southwest monsoon prevails over the Andaman sea, Thailand and the Gulf. Scattered showers are expected in the country.  People living in the at-risk area for flood from bank overflow along Ping River such as A. Muang, Chiangmai province and Lumphun province; Wang River such as Lumpang and Tak provinces, should prepare and be on the watch out.  They should also follow the weather forecast at 053- 277919 , 053-281271 and 053-922360.

For those of you who were not following the hourly graphing 'Hydro was almost spot on.. the river level stayed at 4.93m [Narawat Bridge] from 1AM to 4 AM not rising, but staying fixed. From 4 AM - 5 Am it dropped to 4.92m.Lets all cross our fingers for the 6 AM report due any moment

6 a.m. Ping holding steady at Narawat Bridge...

after 2" of heavy rain early Thursday evening, overnight only added another 3/8ths of an inch in northern Chiang Mai with no apparent increase in level of the Ping. Looks like should be getting some more precip through out the day, but my guess is it won't add significantly to the river level, if at all, but not sure what rate of steady rainfall the river can discharge without rising... am guessing it's greater than what will fall.

Fingers crossed that the worst is over for now.

I've been up most of the night bailing water. This is worse than the August flood, which didn't effect our house (south of the superhighway underpass on Chang Klan). The water came up through the drains and flooded our downstairs.

The River Road is one with the river itself now -- but thanks to the army efforts at sandbagging much of the fast-flowing water is not entering our compound. If we are any indication, the rest of flood-prone areas will have been hit very hard indeed.

I've been up most of the night bailing water. This is worse than the August flood, which didn't effect our house (south of the superhighway underpass on Chang Klan). The water came up through the drains and flooded our downstairs.

The River Road is one with the river itself now -- but thanks to the army efforts at sandbagging much of the fast-flowing water is not entering our compound. If we are any indication, the rest of flood-prone areas will have been hit very hard indeed.

Interesting... Here in Nong Hoi, last night's peak level was about 20cm lower than in August.

Interesting... Here in Nong Hoi, last night's peak level was about 20cm lower than in August.

Just a few klics North the water level seems to have been very close to that of the August 14th Flood. I am in condo so do not have the problems some of the ground level neighbors have. Guy at the guest house next door tells me that the level was the same but damage was less because of advance warning which was not to be had the last flood.

This morning photos Charoenrat Rd by intersection of Doi Saket Rd at Rama IX Bridge.

post-22124-1128048571.jpg

post-22124-1128048596.jpg

Edited by Gonzo the Face