Shakin'

kandahar

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely the biggest earthquake I have experienced in Thailand. Thing on the refrigerator fell off. Could hear the house shaking. My bicycle tipped over. I would put this around magnetude 5 (richter). Awesome. I'm sure it was much stronger elsewhere. whew!!!

Definitely the biggest earthquake I have experienced in Thailand. Thing on the refrigerator fell off. Could hear the house shaking. My bicycle tipped over. I would put this around magnetude 5 (richter). Awesome. I'm sure it was much stronger elsewhere. whew!!!

Just had a little aftershock, not as bad.

Location20.705°N, 99.949°EDepth10 km (6.2 miles)RegionMYANMARDistances89 km (55 miles) N of Chiang Rai, Thailand

168 km (104 miles) SSW of Yunjinghong, Yunnan, China

589 km (365 miles) NE of Rangoon, Myanmar

772 km (479 miles) N of BANGKOK, Thailand

Location Uncertaintyhorizontal +/- 15.4 km (9.6 miles); depth +/- 5.8 km (3.6 miles)ParametersNST=109, Nph=109, Dmin=234.9 km, Rmss=0.88 sec, Gp= 36°,

M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=CSource

• USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event IDusc0002aes

My wife just called me. Shook a fair bit in Wiang Nuea. Our house got cracks in it last time we had a big shake. But everything seems to be okay. My wife and FiL will have a better look in the morning to see how the house faired. Everyone went outside when it started. Bit scary for my girls but all good. The SUV is now parked in the front yard just in case anything worse happens. Fortunately it was pretty deep and so by all account the epicenter was a fair distance from Chiang Rai. Wonder how Myanmar went directly above the epicenter?

The worst hit town would probably be Tachilek which I would put to be only around 20 km from the epicenter. I hope those people at Tachilek are alright..

My wife just called me. Shook a fair bit in Wiang Nuea. Our house got cracks in it last time we had a big shake. But everything seems to be okay. My wife and FiL will have a better look in the morning to see how the house faired. Everyone went outside when it started. Bit scary for my girls but all good. The SUV is now parked in the front yard just in case anything worse happens. Fortunately it was pretty deep and so by all account the epicenter was a fair distance from Chiang Rai. Wonder how Myanmar went directly above the epicenter?

Hey KD, didn't you say CR was due a quake soon while munching on your chicken and noodles in Thoeng the other week?

I believe I did.

Sorry you couldn't attend the motorcycle ride this time.

Yes, I do recall that conversation . So ..... when will my equilibrioception return ? ..... I'm a mess :(

They were initially measured at 7.0 magnitude, but that was quickly lowered to 6.8.

The U.S. Geological Survey says one quake was shallow, centred 10 kilometres below the surface of the earth, and the other struck at a depth of 230 kilometres, which is exceptionally deep

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/events/us/c0002aes/us/index.html

Edited by Garry

Up here on the 2nd floor of my raised house, for both of them, there was a whole lot of shakin' goin' on.

2nd one wasn't much, but the first one kinda left me expecting it!

Anyone hear about the volcano in Indonesia, reported just after the Japanese quake?

Much more severe than the one 4 or so years ago and of much longer duration. Was upstairs did not want to take a chance and go down. No aftershock here yet!!!

Public announcement, unverified, second shock expected bewteen 1100 pm and 1 a.m (2300 - 0100 hours). request for all people in 2 storey houses to

move down or out.

Much more severe than the one 4 or so years ago and of much longer duration. Was upstairs did not want to take a chance and go down. No aftershock here yet!!!

Public announcement, unverified, second shock expected bewteen 1100 pm and 1 a.m (2300 - 0100 hours). request for all people in 2 storey houses to

move down or out.

Sh_it, I was just about to put the Kids to bed. was thinking it was all over. !?

move down or out.

Sh_it, I was just about to put the Kids to bed. was thinking it was all over. !?

Not wishing to cause alarm, but worth being cautious regarding the kids in the coming hours, days and weeks. Lots of supposed after shocks off the Honshu coast, including a 7.0 quake they believed was the main event 2 days before the 9.0 quake hit on 11 March.

Christchurch in N.Z. should also be a lesson to many about how these things work out. The destruction there happened months after the initial quake which was stronger and yet caused little damage by comparison.

Fingers crossed that was the worst of it earlier this evening.