Shakin'

kandahar

Shaking was more serious than I experienced in the San Fran area that last major quake.

Really surprised no damage to my home or others around me with the brick mortar construction.

Could not stand up or walk or run properly during the shaking that lasted about a minute or more at my place near Chiang Rai. A loud roar like a freight train or loud helicopter overhead. Thought my house would fall down for sure. It was girating more than a girl on a pole.

Hope everyone else is ok now that the shaking has subsided a bit for a few hours.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shaking was more serious than I experienced in the San Fran area that last major quake.

Really surprised no damage to my home or others around me with the brick mortar construction.

Could not stand up or walk or run properly during the shaking that lasted about a minute or more at my place near Chiang Rai. A loud roar like a freight train or loud helicopter overhead. Thought my house would fall down for sure. It was girating more than a girl on a pole.

Hope everyone else is ok now that the shaking has subsided a bit for a few hours.

interesting concept :whistling:

Haven't seen any reports from people living in MaeSai....must have been quite something there as the epicentre was only 30km. North of there.

I just read this in another place in TV.

Quite interesting and maybe lifesaving.

EXTRACT FROM DOUG COPP'S ARTICLE ON THE: 'TRIANGLE OF LIFE'

My name is Doug Copp. I am the Rescue Chief and Disaster Manager of the

American Rescue Team International (ARTI), the world's most experienced

rescue team. The information in this article will save lives in an earthquake.

I have crawled inside 875 collapsed buildings, worked with rescue teams

from 60 countries, founded rescue teams in several countries, and I am a

member of many rescue teams from many countries..

I was the United Nations expert in Disaster Mitigation for two years. I

have worked at every major disaster in the world since 1985, except for

simultaneous disasters.

The first building I ever crawled inside of was a school in Mexico City

during the 1985 earthquake. Every child was under its desk. Every child

was crushed to the thickness of their bones. They could have survived by

lying down next to their desks in the aisles. It was obscene, unnecessary and

I wondered why the children were not in the aisles. I didn't at the time

know that the children were told to hide under something.

Simply stated, when buildings collapse, the weight of the ceilings

falling upon the objects or furniture inside crushes these objects, leaving a

space or void next to them. This space is what I call the 'triangle of life'.

The larger the object, the stronger, the less it will compact. The less the

object compacts, the larger the void, the greater the probability that

the person who is using this void for safety will not be injured. The next

time you watch collapsed buildings, on television, count the 'triangles' you

see formed. They are everywhere. It is the most common shape, you will see,

in a collapsed building.

TIPS FOR EARTHQUAKE SAFETY

1) Most everyone who simply 'ducks and covers' WHEN BUILDINGS COLLAPSE are crushed to death. People who get under objects, like desks or cars, are crushed.

2) Cats, dogs and babies often naturally curl up in the fetal position.

You should too in an earthquake.. It is a natural safety/survival instinct. You can survive in a smaller void. Get next to an object, next to a sofa, next to a large bulky object that will compress slightly but leave a void next to it.

3) Wooden buildings are the safest type of construction to be in during

an earthquake. Wood is flexible and moves with the force of the earthquake.

If the wooden building does collapse, large survival voids are created.

Also, the wooden building has less concentrated, crushing weight. Brick

buildings will break into individual bricks. Bricks will cause many injuries but

less squashed bodies than concrete slabs.

4) If you are in bed during the night and an earthquake occurs, simply

roll off the bed. A safe void will exist around the bed. Hotels can achieve a

much greater survival rate in earthquakes, simply by posting a sign on The back of the door of every room telling occupants to lie down on the floor, next to the bottom of the bed during an earthquake.

5) If an earthquake happens and you cannot easily escape by getting out

the door or window, then lie down and curl up in the fetal position next to

a sofa, or large chair.

6) Most everyone who gets under a doorway when buildings collapse is

killed. How? If you stand under a doorway and the doorjamb falls forward or

backward you will be crushed by the ceiling above. If the door jam falls sideways you will be cut in half by the doorway. In either case, you will be killed!

7) Never go to the stairs. The stairs have a different 'moment of

frequency' (they swing separately from the main part of the building).

The stairs and remainder of the building continuously bump into each

other until structural failure of the stairs takes place. The people who get

on stairs before they fail are chopped up by the stair treads - horribly

mutilated. Even if the building doesn't collapse, stay away from the

stairs. The stairs are a likely part of the building to be damaged. Even if the

stairs are not collapsed by the earthquake, they may collapse later when

overloaded by fleeing people. They should always be checked for safety,

even when the rest of the building is not damaged.

8) Get Near the Outer Walls Of Buildings Or Outside Of Them If Possible

- It is much better to be near the outside of the building rather than

the interior. The farther inside you are from the outside perimeter of the

building the greater the probability that your escape route will be

blocked.

9) People inside of their vehicles are crushed when the road above falls

in an earthquake and crushes their vehicles; which is exactly what happened

with the slabs between the decks of the Nimitz Freeway.. The victims of

the San Francisco earthquake all stayed inside of their vehicles. They were

all killed. They could have easily survived by getting out and sitting or

lying next to their vehicles. Everyone killed would have survived if they had

been able to get out of their cars and sit or lie next to them. All the

crushed cars had voids 3 feet high next to them, except for the cars that had

columns fall directly across them.

10) I discovered, while crawling inside of collapsed newspaper offices

and other offices with a lot of paper, that paper does not compact.

Large voids are found surrounding stacks of paper.

Spread the word and save someone's life... The Entire world is

experiencing natural calamities so be prepared!

'We are but angels with one wing, it takes two to fly'

In 1996 we made a film, which proved my survival methodology to be

correct. The Turkish Federal Government, City of Istanbul , University of

Istanbul Case Productions and ARTI cooperated to film this practical, scientific

test. We collapsed a school and a home with 20 mannequins inside. Ten

mannequins did 'duck and cover,' and ten mannequins I used in my

'triangle of life' survival method. After the simulated earthquake collapse we

crawled through the rubble and entered the building to film and document the

results. The film, in which I practiced my survival techniques under

directly observable, scientific conditions , relevant to building collapse, showed there would have been zero percent survival for those doing duck

and cover.

There would likely have been 100 percent survivability for people using

my method of the 'triangle of life.' This film has been seen by millions

of viewers on television in Turkey and the rest of Europe , and it was seen

in the USA , Canada and Latin America on the TV program Real TV

When I lived in NZ with my two daughters 89-90 my daughters were teached to hide under their desks in school.

When we had earthquakes in Wellington at that time, people in the office also crawled under their desks. We were on the 6th floor in a new building built on rubberbumps and looking out of the windows I saw the sisterbuilding sway. Quite interesting so I did not lay down on the floor.

:o:huh::blink:

This one wasnt so strong or last as long as the one last night , but there were reports of 2 quakes in Myanmar yesterday , one in the morning and one in the evening. I only felt the evening one and the rumbles of the aftershocks . I eventually went to bed about 2:30-3am with nothing further to report, until NOW. Im in bed and the Mrs thought I was kicking the bed to scare her , stupid woman that she is , :D .

big one Jubbs?

Nah, smallest yet. Its a good sign. I think :unsure:

I feel like I'm on a Boat though, My sense of balance is shot :)

I saw something on the telly from a reporter in Japan, he said that when the quake started, at first he thought there was something wrong with him, his legs couldn't hold him upright! Must be weird!

7:30 a.m. aftershock - a real surprise. Irrationally, I felt that Terra Firma was back to firm!

something big's going on down there, I'm afraid.

My wife says two big animals are fighting, one saying all the people are dead now, the other saying

that's not so, and that's why people go out (or used to) banging on pots and pans

and shouting "We're still alive!"

big one Jubbs?

Nah, smallest yet. Its a good sign. I think :unsure:

I feel like I'm on a Boat though, My sense of balance is shot :)

I saw something on the telly from a reporter in Japan, he said that when the quake started, at first he thought there was something wrong with him, his legs couldn't hold him upright! Must be weird!

yeah, I'm all over the place at the best of times. screwed my balance a few years ago Diving .

7:30 a.m. aftershock - a real surprise. Irrationally, I felt that Terra Firma was back to firm!

something big's going on down there, I'm afraid.

My wife says two big animals are fighting, one saying all the people are dead now, the other saying

that's not so, and that's why people go out (or used to) banging on pots and pans

and shouting "We're still alive!"

Hey, Joel. You should change her Meds ! ;)

Just got to bed then rocked to sleep by another aftershock (about 11 o'clock).

Anyone got property damage? My English neighbour had a chandalier crashdown on his stairwell, just missed him as he rushed dowstairs to comfort wife and new baby.

Just got to bed then rocked to sleep by another aftershock (about 11 o'clock).

Anyone got property damage? My English neighbour had a chandalier crashdown on his stairwell, just missed him as he rushed dowstairs to comfort wife and new baby.

Those Crystal Chandeliers are gonna be a problem in any earthquake. I'm gonna take all mine down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEjkmcU98h8

Got to feel sorry also for those poor folks in Burma, especially at the epicenter. Surprised not hearing anything on the internet from there, twitter, facebook, etc.

I suspect those poor Folks will be doing fine Gino. very rural location, most likely Wood and Bamboo construction.

Very few , if any, Crystal Chandeliers

I think it's a fairly remote area Gino, I don't think there are many people there and the ones that are most likely don't have access to much technology. Also the government in Myanmar ain't too big on communication!

Hopefully the remoteness of the area around epicentre will mean that casualties are few.

Got to feel sorry also for those poor folks in Burma, especially at the epicenter. Surprised not hearing anything on the internet from there, twitter, facebook, etc.

I suspect those poor Folks will be doing fine Gino. very rural location, most likely Wood and Bamboo construction.

Very few , if any, Crystal Chandeliers

Only in the army officer's mansions!

Looks like a total of 4 quakes.

MAG UTC DATE-TIME LAT LON DEPTH Region

y/m/d h:m:s deg deg km

MAP 5.0 2011/03/25 00:22:39 20.724 99.873 10.0 MYANMAR

MAP 5.4 2011/03/24 15:54:35 20.682 99.739 10.3 MYANMAR

MAP 4.8 2011/03/24 14:23:53 20.595 99.862 10.2 MYANMAR

MAP 6.8 2011/03/24 13:55:12 20.705 99.949 10.0 MYANMAR

Edited by jayjayjayjay

Our place here moved around during when the first shock hit, few things decided to go for a walk. I am from a quake zone, pacific coast, Vancouver island and this was the longest I have felt. Duration of quake is right up there with strength. A 7 long quake can do more damage then a 9 short depending on depth and location. I moved the vehicles away from structures and got some strange looks from family. All is good though and that is what counts.

Woke this morning and still had good thoughts of our ride, sore bum and all. The morning quake did frighten the wife as she knew right away what was happening.

Looks like a total of 4 quakes.

MAG UTC DATE-TIME LAT LON DEPTH Region

y/m/d h:m:s deg deg km

MAP 5.0 2011/03/25 00:22:39 20.724 99.873 10.0 MYANMAR

MAP 5.4 2011/03/24 15:54:35 20.682 99.739 10.3 MYANMAR

MAP 4.8 2011/03/24 14:23:53 20.595 99.862 10.2 MYANMAR

MAP 6.8 2011/03/24 13:55:12 20.705 99.949 10.0 MYANMAR

Yes, spot on with that list! I felt all four of those here, 14kms south of Town. The first (strong) one really ratted the bungalow, opened a cupboard for me and shook some dust down from the ceiling. The other three weaker ones were much smoother, more like riding up and down on a wave. More to come perhaps?

Massive quake hits Burma near Thailand border

AT least 25 people were killed and dozens of buildings destroyed when a strong earthquake hit Burma near the Thai border, according to information from officials in both countries today. Tremors spread as far away as Bangkok, almost 800km from the epicentre, Hanoi and parts of China during the earthquake yesterday, which the US Geological Survey (USGS) measured at magnitude 6.8

Terrified residents fled their homes, tall buildings swayed and hospitals and schools were evacuated.

The epicentre was close to the borders with Thailand and Laos and was just 10km deep.

A Burma official warned that there could be "many more casualties'' in the town of Tarlay, close to the epicentre, as he confirmed 11 men and 13 women had been killed when the quake struck.

"Five monasteries and 35 buildings collapsed in the town. Those people were killed when the buildings collapsed,'' said the official, who declined to be named, adding some areas were difficult to access because roads were damaged.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/two-dead-as-earthquake-hits-burma-near-thailand/story-e6frg6so-1226028042920

It was good reading that most of the Chiang Rai TV members have not any series problems.

Take care till next time :jap:

MOST of us Lizard !? What are you trying to say :D

Typical you had to be the one to reply with a smart reply.

Obviously the Earthquake did not stop your humor. :D

interesting concept :whistling:

Haven't seen any reports from people living in MaeSai....must have been quite something there as the epicentre was only 30km. North of there.

In Mai Sai at present the quake was pretty violent fast shuddering, as I was about to take a shower in the hotel room I was staying at.. well could not run outside, fell over trying to get my shorts on. I admit I was terrified and so were many of the residents of Mai Sai who slept out in the open. Also suprised saw only slight damage to buildings, at 7/11 stock flew off the shelfs.The aftershocks continued all night the one at 7.20AM got me 'shakin' again.. As I type we are having more tremors. Time for another beer.

Mick B

I have been feeling very slight tremors all day , even now . Maybe the worst is still to come as there are many Earthquakes taking place in the region , especially still in the Japan area.

Over 50 dead reported dead so far and maybe with all the buildings that have collapsed the figure could rise. I am also thinking that the last earthquake we had a couple of years ago was 300km into Myanmar, this one however was only 30km or so inside the border, maybe the next big one could be HERE, I am already making plans as what to do if it happens.Dangerous times ahead maybe .

I wish you all well , take care .

It was good reading that most of the Chiang Rai TV members have not any series problems.

Take care till next time :jap:

MOST of us Lizard !? What are you trying to say :D

Typical you had to be the one to reply with a smart reply.

Obviously the Earthquake did not stop your humor. :D

Sorry Lizard, Maybe shouldn't take it so lightly, but sometimes its better to laugh than Cry :(

I'll leave the crying to the doom Crew ;)

hey, Live every day as if it was your last maybe ; I've already forgot about the quake, I'm now more concerned about the freak winds and Hail we sometimes get this time of year.

I guess a lot of us just need a goodnights sleep.

Hey Sunny, it could be just flatulence :(