Shakin'

kandahar

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a very good site to keep up-to date with ALL Earthquake activity in the world, its surprising to see what is happening elsewhere : http://www.iris.edu/...mon/last30.html

I was surprised as well to see that there are so many!

Check this map page out

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/

Yes, I have been following that site as well but its not so upto date , the latest is 6.4 in Japan

Did anyone else feel another quake about 2:30am. I thought it was the wife getting up but she spoke more or less at the same time as I awoke and said earthquake again , over in seconds . I have just checked to see if I can find anything online but nothing reported yet .

Report on the internet said to expect small after shocks, didn't feel anything last night but had a small one this morning about 0530.

I'm sure I felt a few overnight too, but my systems really screwed up, I feel them all the time :(

I won't bother looking at that site, I'd hazard a Guess that these things have been happening weekly, maybe daily since the earth was formed. Its something we should bare in mind when we build our safe little homes. maybe someone could design a bubble thing like an Airbag that encapsulates us if it feels a 4 on the ricter scale :) Possibly have it set a little lower for the old folks

Felt another small shaker just after 1 pm. Shook things on the tables and my computer screen with a low rumbling noise from the ground lasting about 5-10 seconds.

Luckily it didn't get any worse here. Nothing on the web sites report yet. If less than 4.5 would not be reported.

Edited by TacoBoy

Felt another small shaker just after 1 pm. Shook things on the tables and my computer screen with a low rumbling noise from the ground lasting about 5-10 seconds.

Luckily it didn't get any worse here. Nothing on the web sites report yet. If less than 4.5 would not be reported.

Yeah felt it here 2, in Chiang Khong, dont know if it's just me but since the "big one" on Thur iv'e been feeling queasy like being on a ship, my balance is outa sinc, the missus feels the same and some friends of hers also have moments of feeling sick and giddy, very strange :unsure: .

Yes , me and the wife feel the same, even sitting now I can feel movement , slight swaying. I am also wondering if this Radiation problem is also part of the problem . Todays news say the radiation levels are 1250 times the safe level and if level 1 is Safe then what the hell is 1249 parts doing to us all . Feeling nauseous , light headed which could make us feel unbalanced also maybe part of the problem and if the radiation does travel in the wind , millions of people could be affected . The amount of earthquakes taking place in the Asia Pacific is scary , can this really be the norm ? I think not.

Yes , me and the wife feel the same, even sitting now I can feel movement , slight swaying. I am also wondering if this Radiation problem is also part of the problem . Todays news say the radiation levels are 1250 times the safe level and if level 1 is Safe then what the hell is 1249 parts doing to us all . Feeling nauseous , light headed which could make us feel unbalanced also maybe part of the problem and if the radiation does travel in the wind , millions of people could be affected . The amount of earthquakes taking place in the Asia Pacific is scary , can this really be the norm ? I think not.

2012 not far away :o , all this is warming us up for it!

Mai Pen Rai, we've all gotto peg it some day :) .

Edited by lannaman

Yeah felt it here 2, in Chiang Khong, dont know if it's just me but since the "big one" on Thur iv'e been feeling queasy like being on a ship, my balance is outa sinc, the missus feels the same and some friends of hers also have moments of feeling sick and giddy, very strange :unsure: .

didn't feel the aftershock, but I'm as dizzy as a Coot, or something like that. definately like just come home from a trip at Sea. Glad others are feeling it too.

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/other/quake1.html

I think all is normal. This graph isn't Asia Pacific specific but that area always has more than its share. The big difference I see is with the internet and the instant news we get from all over the world. Twenty years ago we all relied on the nightly news, the newspapers and radio news on the half hour. Not enough time or paper to dispense all of the world news in those days. With the internet, twitter, and so on, we can be informed of everyone's business in seconds.

didn't feel the aftershock, but I'm as dizzy as a Coot, or something like that. definately like just come home from a trip at Sea. Glad others are feeling it too.

Jub, slow down on your alchohol consumption, and it will go away. :whistling:

Edited by mumbojumbo

2012 not far away :o , all this is warming us up for it!

Mai Pen Rai, we've all gotto peg it some day :) .

I'm looking forward to the Olympics, I don't think it will kill me, not even a little bit :)

Seriously though, there are earthquakes every day all over the world, there always has been, there always will be. The radiation levels in Japan aren't going to make you feel dizzy in Chiang Rai. The Japanese government has warned people 18 miles or less from the nuclear plant, that they should consider re-locating and after a few days the levels will be back to normal. It's a nuclear power plant, in Japan! It's not mysterious nuclear energy from the centre of the earth, that can leak out of cracks made by the earthquake in Myanmar. The two things are not related.

If you look on that map of earthquakes, you will see that there were over 300 in the last week. Some you heard about and some you didn't, some rattled your houses and shook the earth under your feet. That's it, that's what happened,it was an earthquake. It's stopped now.

I spoke to Ms Tastic and she was most definitely very very upset by it all. It woke her up! :lol:

I know you've experienced something quite disturbing, and perhaps it's not normal for some, or most of you, but i really don't think it's time to get the tin-foil hats out just yet!

Mai kid maak maak na pi nong :wai:

Jub, slow down on your alchohol consumption, and it will go away. :whistling:

Could be right Mumbojumbo, I've been doing about 3 bottles of Leo a week recently. Big Bottles at that . :)

Had another one, this morning at 4 ish. Not a leo, An Aftershock.

I have no idea what time it was but my wife woke ma again to say another earthquake, I mumbled yes and went back to sleep , but I know it happened. Just read also that the Japanese Nuclear plant is 10 Million times over the safety limit , 10 million times , but we shouldnt worry about it , who the <deleted> are they trying to kid. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12872707

Oh I forgot to mention , im not a Scientific Genius either incase im accused of being an expert in Nuclear Fission :D

Edited by sunholidaysun1

I have no idea what time it was but my wife woke ma again to say another earthquake, I mumbled yes and went back to sleep , but I know it happened. Just read also that the Japanese Nuclear plant is 10 Million times over the safety limit , 10 million times , but we shouldnt worry about it , who the <deleted> are they trying to kid. http://www.bbc.co.uk...acific-12872707

Oh I forgot to mention , im not a Scientific Genius either incase im accused of being an expert in Nuclear Fission :D

Actually what is being reported is that the WATER in one reactor pool is 10 million times the norm. Bad news for sure, but not as bad as if the atmosphere in the area of the plant had those same readings. They were trying to pump off, contain and isolate that particular batch of water.

Facts are useful, generalization leads to hysteria. The facts are bad enough, no need to generalize.

Edited by kandahar

I have no idea what time it was but my wife woke ma again to say another earthquake, I mumbled yes and went back to sleep , but I know it happened. Just read also that the Japanese Nuclear plant is 10 Million times over the safety limit , 10 million times , but we shouldnt worry about it , who the <deleted> are they trying to kid. http://www.bbc.co.uk...acific-12872707

Actually what is being reported is that the WATER in one reactor pool is 10 million times the norm. Bad news for sure, but not as bad as if the atmosphere in the area of the plant had those same readings. They were trying to pump off, contain and isolate that particular batch of water.

Facts are useful, generalization leads to hysteria. The facts are bad enough, no need to generalize.

Kandahar , do you honestly believe the world is being told the truth . The Japanese government have put out a warning about drinking water in Tokyo 150 miles away from the plant and have said the levels in the water supply are dangerous for young children/babies .

Why are China, Singapore, Hong Kong and other Asian importers banning some imports of vegetables, seafood and milk products for fear of contamination.

Australia, the European Union, the United States and Russia have followed suit.

But the levels of radiation are not harmful ? B-Sh*t. The Americans have urged people to be at least 80km away , yet the Japanese only recommend 20km. If those reactor plants are not AIR TIGHT then radiation of what ever level, is being put into the atmosphere. Its not about hysteria it IS about facts and sadly I dont think we are getting them . Try evacuating 30 million from Tokyo alone , it is impossible . Those in the area close to the reactors , well , who knows, but I pray to god

that we have seen the worst of it all . Im not trying to hype up a devastating situation but I like everyone else would like to know the truth , good or bad .

Getting back to the 10million times the safty level , the water is being used to cool the reactors, steam is generated from that , if it escapes ?

I feel sad for the brave workers putting their lives on the line ,but what choice do they have , I just hope how ever many die because of all this that lessons will be learned.

Kandahar , do you honestly believe the world is being told the truth ...... *snip*....

Why are China, Singapore, Hong Kong and other Asian importers banning some imports of vegetables, seafood and milk products for fear of contamination.

Australia, the European Union, the United States and Russia have followed suit.

But the levels of radiation are not harmful ? B-Sh*t. The Americans have urged people to be at least 80km away , yet the Japanese only recommend 20km. If those reactor plants are not AIR TIGHT then radiation of what ever level, is being put into the atmosphere. Its not about hysteria it IS about facts and sadly I dont think we are getting them .

I would agree we're not getting the full picture, but suggest that's not so much due to deliberate witholding of information by the authorities as it is down to nobody actually knowing or understanding what's going on inside those broken reactor buildings. This despite having brought the world's top nuclear experts in to try and help. It's not for want of trying. This is all new territory and simply nobody knows.

Try evacuating 30 million from Tokyo alone , it is impossible . Those in the area close to the reactors , well , who knows, but I pray to god

that we have seen the worst of it all . Im not trying to hype up a devastating situation but I like everyone else would like to know the truth , good or bad .

So I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Suppose you were in the authority chain over there, given the current situation, how would you handle it differently?

Actually there is one thing: We've heard and seen such a lot at tech expo's about how the Japs are world leaders in robot technology. They've got some very advanced gadgets that are not only both clever and mobile, but now also agile,... and yet we keep hearing how they've sent their technicians into hazardous areas and had to withdraw them agan several times because of high radiation levels, and they still don't seem to be able to get near to the critical areas to find out what's going on. Given that top world experts and world resources are involved in all this, how come they can't send robots instead of technicians in there to do the dirty work? Just a thought.