Too Old To Teach?

Hello All,

I am a 58 year-old man. I have a BS in Computer Science and plan to retire to Thailand in a year or so, with my Thai wife of 36 years. I am thinking about doing a TESOL course in order to be able to teach English (or perhaps Computer Programming) in Thailand. I would be doing it more to be helping out the Thai students and giving me something constructive to do, rather than for the money. My wife and I have enough money to live off for the rest of our days.

Do you think my age will be too much of a problem in landing a job or getting a work visa?

Also is there much of a difference between a TEFL and a TESOL?

Thanks.

Rick

Age is a factor in getting hired, but you should be OK. The magical '60' years of age is more of a problem, but plenty of older teachers get work.

Much of it depends on how old you look.

I agree with Scott. Presentation is the key.

My school has 3 teachers who are 58-67, one recently hired.

TEFL seems to be the dominant degree over here, although I'm not sure why.

A TEFL isn't a degree. It's a certificate. It is dominant here in Thailand due to sales techniques. All the stuff with the TCT never mentions TEFL certificates...odd or reality?

If the poster is a native speaker of English and can teach "computer" along with English, age may not be as important a factor. Many advertisments list an age limit which is of course ignorant and discrimination but allowed in Thailand. Don't bother with the TEFL is my suggestion. Stress your ability to teach IT/Computer. Good luck.

So very much depends on the school. The private schools depend a great deal on how things look. Beautiful gardens, well maintained grounds and nice looking staff, which usually means younger people.

Many schools, however, will forgo youth for experience, but as you get older, you need to have skill as your main selling point. The students need to like you, you need to be particularly friendly and you need to play on the 'respect for the elderly' part of the culture.

I am not impressed with a TEFL as a qualification, but I am impressed with the maneuverability and ability in the classroom. So, if you are a little unsure of yourself and TEFL will help. You have to have something that the school needs.