Wanted - New Or Second Hand Coffee Machine.

stevehoward1969

Thanks Guys, I looked at boncafe previously. I think I will take a drive to CM on Monday and see what they have and more importantly what the prices are. The plan is to open a small coffee shop/ bakery for my wife (yes,I know its a novel project ~ not!) It will start with sandwiches with bread baked on site and also the cured and cooked meats ( bacon, gammon, roast and boiled ham, roast pork, chicken and beef, corned beef and pastrami) all made on the premises. Should it prove successfull then we will add home made meat and fruit pies and also pate, soups and pasta dishes to be available frozen for retail take home.

Anyway, one step at a time. We're still in the planning stages at the moment.

Thanks again for the responses.

Steve.

Thanks Guys, I looked at boncafe previously. I think I will take a drive to CM on Monday and see what they have and more importantly what the prices are. The plan is to open a small coffee shop/ bakery for my wife (yes,I know its a novel project ~ not!) It will start with sandwiches with bread baked on site and also the cured and cooked meats ( bacon, gammon, roast and boiled ham, roast pork, chicken and beef, corned beef and pastrami) all made on the premises. Should it prove successfull then we will add home made meat and fruit pies and also pate, soups and pasta dishes to be available frozen for retail take home.

Steve.

Sandwiches may be a good Idea. I read about a Guy in Bangkok who lost his shirt in the Asian Financial Crisis years ago, who started up again making sandwiches and now he's rich again. Anyway, what about the place just outside the main door at Makro, got a lot of stuff in there for commercial Kitchens.

Steve.

I'm getting hungry just reading this!:)

Thanks Bahnhof,

I've looked at the kiosk outside makro and will be buying the bread oven from there and possibly the vac-pac if all goes well in the future.

They dont stock coffee machines sadly.

A Thai run coffee shack out on the 1020 told the wife they got their machine and barista training for 50,000 baht! Maybe she means barrister training :-)

Slightly off topic, but sufficiently related I believe as the answer may determine which kind of machine to buy (I need one also)....

Can one of the resident coffee afficionados tell me if there is a marked difference in taste between coffee from a bean ground in front of your eyes in a bean to cup coffee machine or ground coffee from the same supplier prepared from a standard espresso machine and would most people be able to tell the difference?

I appreciate that there could be an element of freshness in the recently ground bean scenario, but seriously could the average person detect that?

I apologise if this sounds like a "is wine better from a bottle or a carton" type question btw.

Can one of the resident coffee afficionados tell me if there is a marked difference in taste between coffee from a bean ground in front of your eyes in a bean to cup coffee machine or ground coffee from the same supplier prepared from a standard espresso machine and would most people be able to tell the difference?

I appreciate that there could be an element of freshness in the recently ground bean scenario, but seriously could the average person detect that?

Oh yes, certainly.

I grind my own beans whenever possible, just for one pot at a time and it is definitely lots better than pre-ground stuff, even freshly bought.

113-buy-coffee-beans.jpg

The vacuum packed pre-ground should be as fresh as coffee comes, straight from the cooking process , ground and bagged. Coffee from coffee shops is open to the air , could be months old depending on how much they have bought and how its stored. I cant personally taste the difference myself other than what type of beans are used , personal taste comes into it but Doi Chang grown coffee beans make a WOW cup of coffee and far better than most in my opinion. The Doi Chaang coffee shops sell Doi Chang grown coffee and im sure most of you go there in town purely for that brand .

Probably better to start with a decent drip coffee machine like a Mr Coffee type and use good quality coffee beans.

For Espresso and Cupachino machine's try this site in Thailand (mostly thai language) for coffe machines. You misses will probably have to help you with the site.

http://www.verasu.co...ories.php?cid=3

This espresso machine 2,540

http://www.verasu.com/product_detail.php?pid=757

or this one about 6,700

http://www.verasu.com/product_detail.php?pid=379

Edited by TacoBoy

Probably better to start with a decent drip coffee machine like a Mr Coffee type and use good quality coffee beans.

For Espresso and Cupachino machine's try this site in Thailand (mostly thai language) for coffe machines. You misses will probably have to help you with the site.

http://www.verasu.co...ories.php?cid=3

This espresso machine 2,540

http://www.verasu.co...ail.php?pid=757

or this one about 6,700

http://www.verasu.co...ail.php?pid=379

Looked for a Mr Coffee machine in Chiangrai and Phayao and could not find one. Also coffee in cans like Folgers or Maxwell house-nothing. Hate instant and expresso.

Looked for a Mr Coffee machine in Chiangrai and Phayao and could not find one. Also coffee in cans like Folgers or Maxwell house-nothing. Hate instant and expresso.

Truly and interesting and entertaining addition to our little forum and obviously not easily embarrassed. Coffee in cans, that is a classic. :)

Try some local beans, they really are quite good. Grind them and brew them any way you choose. Chiang Mai Home Pro gave us, among other things, a VZIO coffee maker, similar to a Mr. Coffee, when we were doing our house. So Home Pro in Chiang Mai would seem to be a good bet. Then again you should probably check out Robinson’s first, unless you fancy a day of shopping in the big city of CM.

Make an offer and I might sell you the unused VZIO. I prefer, and use, a French Press myself.

Glad that you found it and that it had things that you like. If you're not in too much of a hurry, why not wait until Central Plaza Chiang Rai and Robinson's open? That happens on Wednesday.

Toybits - great call on the kitchen suppliers by the monument. They have most of the things that Id hunted down elsewhere and cheaper.

Toybits - great call on the kitchen suppliers by the monument. They have most of the things that Id hunted down elsewhere and cheaper.

Yes they are the best serious kitchen supplier in C Rai.

I used to have a Ranchillio ( Italian make ) 2 head ezpresso coffee m/c in UK, it also had a separate grinder which don't come cheap. The whole package with 10Kilo of quality beans cost 768 pounds bought at a trade fair in London in 1993. I saw a similar machine in the above mentioned shop years ago for 30,000 Baht.

Couldn't justify the expense for only home use.

But a 5000 Baht machine here is just not going to do the job professionally.

There is a little coffee stand outside Makro front entrance to the left of the trolleys that has a half decent machine - comes from Bangkok, quite good coffee as well.

Have had a chat with the lady in the kitchen supply place as I thought the same as you John, a 5 k machine wouldnt handle too much use. She said an all singing one would be 40 k but she has one coming in at 10 k so I will take a peak at that. As most have said, got the mall opening this week so Ill take a look there too. No rush at the moment, Im busy trying to get the knack of tying sausages all the same length.....dont ask!!

• 2 weeks later...