TAT Targets Yachties In New Phuket Strategy

webfact

TAT targets yachties in new Phuket strategy

phuket-1-sqLfSRq.jpg

Luxury motoryachts on show at PIMEX earlier this year. The TAT is working

a strategy to use Phuket's yachting facilities to attract more high-end tourists.

PHUKET: -- Phuket's world-class marinas and vibrant yachting community are key to the Tourism Authority of Thailand's new strategy to attract high-end tourists to the island.

TAT Governor Suraphon Svetasreni believes the infrastructure already in place in Phuket means the island has the potential to become a world-class center for marine tourism.

Phuket already has a number of marinas suitable for attracting high-end tourists, including Royal Phuket Marina, the Boat Lagoon, Ao Por and Yacht Haven.

With the continuing development of the island's facilities, Mr Suraphon believes the island can compete with the best yachting destinations in the world.

“You can see that the TAT has already placed rather a lot of emphasis on the marine tourism market,” he said. “We've done public relations and taken part in tourism promotion events related to marinas in order to present information to tourists, investors and owners of leisure boats.”

The yachting market is growing rapidly, Mr Suraphon said.

“It's increasingly popular with new groups of tourists. Previously it was popular with European and American tourists, but now it's more and more popular with Asians,” he said.

Suthinee Poopaka, director of the Office of Industrial Economics in the Ministry of Industry, said the office was exploring the possibility of establishing an information center to support the yachting and yacht repair industry.

The new emphasis comes shortly after Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva gave a speech urging the country's tourism industry to target “quality” tourists, rather than simply aiming for numbers.

Abhisit said that although numbers of tourists were heading upwards, average "spend" per head was decreasing.

The PM described the tourism industry as “key” to Thailand's economy, adding that it accounted for 7% of GDP last year.

– Kom Chad Luek

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-03-26

Interesting... The Deputy Prime Minister was quoted yesterday; "the deputy prime minister saying he does "not respect" Westerners." Now this article says:

The new emphasis comes shortly after Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva gave a speech urging the country's tourism industry to target “quality” tourists, rather than simply aiming for numbers.

Abhisit said that although numbers of tourists were heading upwards, average "spend" per head was decreasing.

The PM described the tourism industry as “key” to Thailand's economy, adding that it accounted for 7% of GDP last year.

I know I've read this before, but one would think with the global economy being the way it is, they should be thankful and accommodating to all tourists... TAT and the PM's office are just a bit out of touch with reality it seems, to put it mildly! Maybe they should just keep their thoughts to themselves...

"-- Breaking News --

Phuket Governor get rid of the so called "quality tourists" by towing their yachts in the middle of the ocean.

It's been reported that, lately, they where constantly complaining about having been robbed of all their possessions, including the fuel of their luxury boats.

The former QT have been accusing some fellow countrymen of empting their fuel thanks, while pretending to offer their help, using sentences like " look, everything is fine here, let me show you how to behave in true local style and you will start smileing like all of us, just look at me"

The latest crackdown follow the directive of the newly elected PM " we don't need farangs here, just try to cross the road while i am driving my Porsche and you will see, the sea is your place, we only need your quality here, not you"

oooppss i had another of those bad dreams :D