Tired Of Thailand Thinking Of Equador

garyk

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go there for a visit first I was there and it's different,as a tourist or to live there,nice to visit could not live there a long time

Why? What did you think you would hate? Even without having visited there, I know I would miss good Asian food. Though ironically in Thailand, I miss good Chinese food (compared to the states). I also think the expectation of speaking Spanish would be taxing compared to Thailand's tolerance (sometimes preference) of non-Thai speaking expats.

Edited by Jingthing

Is Ecuador tax free for retirees and investment income?

This should be your first question.

I think it is based on what I have read but best to verify (income external to Ecuador). There are even discounts for those on their retirement visa (utilities, etc.). Taxes are heavy there for things like restaurant meals and anything imported which of course expats will tend to buy more than most locals. There are taxes for local real estate sales and many or most lie about the sale prices which makes valuing real estate there quite interesting. Edited by Jingthing

I know folks who have taken their vehicles to SA, but they have to be shipped from Panama to another port as you can't drive the Darien Gap. Too dangerous and the local police won't let you transit it anyway. But it's no biggie.

A drive from the US down there would be an adventure in and of itself. I would take months to do that drive. So many cool things to see.

Once in Ecuador, Peru is right there as is Colombia. So much to do and see. Fantastic stuff!

If you do a blog, let us know! Would love to follow your adventures. Or, do a post every now and then in the travel forum.

Best of luck!

What's the cheapest/easiest way to make a short trip to Ecuador from Thailand.

Does Jack Golf do tours there yet?

Cheapest way is to search for the lowest flight you can find, buy a guide book, and go there and enjoy! The biggest danger there are pickpockets...of which there are many. During my visit to Ecuador and Peru, about 1/3rd of the travelers I met had been targeted. Razor blading your pockets was a popular one. Wear a money belt and you will be fine. Just don't walk around Quito alone at 2am!

edit: if you want to do a tour there, here is an example of tours on offer. This is only one company of many...

http://www.adventurecenter.com/

What's the cheapest/easiest way to make a short trip to Ecuador from Thailand.

Does Jack Golf do tours there yet?

Cheapest way is to search for the lowest flight you can find, buy a guide book, and go there and enjoy! The biggest danger there are pickpockets...of which there are many. During my visit to Ecuador and Peru, about 1/3rd of the travelers I met had been targeted. Razor blading your pockets was a popular one. Wear a money belt and you will be fine. Just don't walk around Quito alone at 2am!

edit: if you want to do a tour there, here is an example of tours on offer. This is only one company of many...

http://www.adventurecenter.com/

Did a quick search and the cheapest fare I found was Delta for 1934 USD (2 stops Narita and Atlanta).

About 60,000 baht to get your pockets slashed. Maybe I will stick to Pattaya.

Ecuador has announced it is expelling the US ambassador in Quito.

The move follows the release on Monday by the whistle-blowing website Wikileaks of a US diplomatic cable alleging widespread corruption within the Ecuadorean police force.

Gen Hurtado Vaca served as commander of the Ecuadorean police force for just over a year before his resignation in June 2009.

The diplomatic cable says the US Embassy had "multiple reports that indicate he used his positions to extort bribes, facilitate human trafficking, misappropriate public funds, obstruct investigations and prosecutions of corrupt colleagues, and engage in other corrupt acts for personal enrichment."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-12979967

Moving to Ecuador ? Nice country indeed

I don't know about Ecuador but lately we had friends from Brazil (San Paulo) visiting us and they were AMAZED how safe Thailand is.

That you can safely walk in Bangkok everywhere, anytime, was mind blowing for them.

In Thailand, and more generally in Asia, there are a number of things regarding personal safety we take for granted. When I read some posts here, I think people should travel abroad to realize how lucky they are.

I hate to say it but ......

Thailand considers all foreigners visitors, here on sufferance.

Therefore

We foreigners, in turn, must view all relationships with Thai people as temporary.

I love my wife and kids, but if I get chucked out, or can't fulfill the visa extension requirement one year, I will have to leave the wife and children. It appears to be what the Thai government wants, who am I to argue with a government.

I second that.

My understanding (after living here for 10 years and visiting for 20 years) is that we foreigners are considered "financial assets" before anything else.

I love my GF (10 years together) but waiting for notary to clear a small inheritance from my deceased father I got this remark again for the umphiest time: something along the lines of "how much of it will you transfer to my bank account?"

I spend 1 million baht/year in this country, from these transfers she got a house, a car and a well filled bank account in her name, but to have is never enough, that pisses me off really with these women, and Equador might be on my list of places to check out (soon?)

I love my GF (10 years together) but waiting for notary to clear a small inheritance from my deceased father I got this remark again for the umphiest time: something along the lines of "how much of it will you transfer to my bank account?"

10 years together ? The problem is not with her or Thailand, the problem is with you.

Cheat me once shame on you, cheat me twice shame on me.

10 years ?

When I was there, they had an incident with the police. I can't remember exactly what it was,but something like they had kidnapped a politician and were holding them illegally. I know the trip to the airport was weird as the road was lined with armed police. I guess it was a spat between some politico and the the police chief. Ugh...

"GF, two years. I pay her every month. And I told her when I started I was paying so I would not feel bad when I left. But I think she thinks it is going on forever. And it is useless to try to talk to her about it. I have tried and it ends quickly and the next day it is back to usual. No children no tie other than two years. I have thought about taking her with me but i just don't know. And she has had another farang from pattaya before. I found out after we had been togeather for a while. So she is no angle for sure."

Well that certainly silenced the 'you love brat' brigade'!

Fair play, the OP didn't do the standard procedure of meeting a Thai GF, bringing his life savings over and hoping it all works out happy ever after.

Give her the truck as 'compensation' and move on.

Makes a refreshing change seeing a falang being in control of his own destiny!

Wherever I go, my family go, there is no question about it.

A family is very easy to produce, it can be done anywhere in the world, for a very small investment.

You place too high a value on something that can be taken away from you so easily.

My wife is Thai and would not want to leave her home country.

I have no absolute right to stay in Thailand.

Face reality and learn to live with it.

You will then suffer less disappointment in the long term.

Your avatar says it all realy,a horrible attitude too

Why not Costa Rica instead?

Costa Rica is also an excellent choice...except San Juan...which is quite dangerous.

There are some really beautiful places. I think it is either the 51st US state or the 11th Canadian province! Due to this, it ain't cheap any more and property prices are through the roof.

Crime is still a problem there...the latest rage is home invasions....

When I was there, they had an incident with the police. I can't remember exactly what it was,but something like they had kidnapped a politician and were holding them illegally. I know the trip to the airport was weird as the road was lined with armed police. I guess it was a spat between some politico and the the police chief. Ugh...

That was President Correa whom the police kidnapped. The army had to rescue him.

That was President Correa whom the police kidnapped. The army had to rescue him.

HA! Yes, that sounds right. It was quite a few years ago, but I remember wondering why tanks were out, police in vast numbers, etc. I was on my way to the airport and the Galapagos, so was basically out of touch for the next 9 days. Unreal...

Read some good books before i came here and they are spot on really.

What books were those?

As for the GF, I would give her the option. She'll say no and you can unwind the relationship in a healthier manner. If you think she might say yes then make it sound less attractive of an option when you describe it.

And for your next relationship, try to find someone you connect with on a higher plane than a household pet otherwise you're wallowing in mediocrity because you can do better.

I hate to say it but ......

Thailand considers all foreigners visitors, here on sufferance.

Therefore

We foreigners, in turn, must view all relationships with Thai people as temporary.

I love my wife and kids, but if I get chucked out, or can't fulfill the visa extension requirement one year, I will have to leave the wife and children. It appears to be what the Thai government wants, who am I to argue with a government.

Are you serious? I can`t believe some of these posts.

How can you be so complacent?

They or whoever would have to kill me first before seperating me from my missis and the kids, they are my whole world.

Wherever I go, my family go, there is no question about it.

..well said.

why dont you return to the place of your birth , and make it a better place. But then you may not be able to get away with what people get away with in Thailand ,and else where. piece of mind is a good place to start .

Amazing that the the OP has read up on his new destination and has still not come to terms with how to spell the name of his intended destination correctly.

It puts me in mind of a classmate ( many moons ago ) who got a big fat mark of 0 for an english exam. The teacher told him he would have got at least 1 mark, had he even spelt his name correctly.

I make no apologies for being a spelling nazi.