BANGKOK
Tonykalniev

Electric Vehicles In Thailand

Electric vehicles; this is something Thailand is confused about. The current Motorshow has been underway since last week and Nissan has brought great effort to display their fully mass producing electric car. It isn't a concept and it isn't expensive. It is just like your average car that you see daily on the road, but with a twist....a BIG twist, considering the vehicles on sale now in Thailand.

The Nissan Leaf is a full electric car, meaning 100% running on electricity. It runs for about 200 kms, give or take, and can be charged just like your mobile phone...at night when you are sleeping (spoken sarcastically). Nissan claimed that once the Thai government puts in place proper tax structure for EV's, it will take them a maximum of 5 months to integrate the production of the Leaf into their assembly line, most probably the process as done currently in Japan (every third vehicle off the line is the Leaf).

I would like to share some of my history with you, if you dont mind. If you do, you can just skip this paragraph. All my life, I have loved cars. They are so much fun and such a part of a person's personality, the car in fact becomes you. The style, the comfort, the speed, the upgrades, the accidents, the noise, the quiteness, whatever makes you you, your car will be too (hey, that rhymes). Then a few years ago, I went to Los Angeles. I was so interested in the Tesla Motors company that I just wanted to test their electric car to find out what it was. I guarantee you, once you drive an EV, you forget about anything else! The Tesla Roadster Sport goes from 0-100 kmph in 3.7 seconds. Its silent when driven slow and spaceship-like when pushed at full speed! It goes for 350 kms on one charge and can be charged in 4-6 hours. Of course price is a problem, but this is where the Nissan Leaf comes in, isn't it?

So, what are these cars I am talking about, the Thai people ask me...Are they like golf karts? Obviously not. Neither are they stinky and noisy machines with hundreds of moving parts. They are simple setups, clean, quite, very fast AND more efficient in traffic.

So back to the Motorshow. I haven't been going for 4 years now as they never show anything innovative or it will be only a concept and never be seen on the Thai roads. However, knowing Nissan was finally presenting their Leaf, I just needed to go this time. I researched through 3 companies. Nissan, Mitsubishi and Suzuki are the ones ready to sell electric cars for the Thai market. However, the Thai tax structure is so biased, they just dont want to be bothered now.

I talked to the sales ad marketing staff of Nissan and Mitsubishi. Both said that the Thai government doesn't want Ev's to be sold, because the power grid just couldn't handle them and they would need to build more dams and nuclear power plants in order to then release Ev's into the Thai market, which is COMPLETE BOLLUCKS!!!! For example, Nissan had a whole infrastructure module shown next to the Leaf on how Ev's can be intergrated with the grid of solar panels and wind farms. Mitsubishi has the "Mitsubishi Electric" branch, which then can promote their solar panels to customers when customers buy an electric car at discounted rates. Doesn't that sound like a good idea? In addition, Ev's can become part of the grid, storing energy for the balance of power supply throughout the nation, as shown in Japan and USA.

Then they stated the issue of battery supply. Tesla Motors used to order its batteries from Thailand, but stopped due to high shipping costs and it's not like there aren't any batteries in Thailand, considering all the phones, laptops and other gadgets running on Lithium Ion batteries are supplied by the Thai Battery market.

It just pisses me off that the Thai government polititians and their sons own the spare parts of current vehicles on the road and so are thinking of profits only, as well as the silly tax structure that allows stinky, low efficiency diesel pick ups to be sold at such a low price tag and keeping that dirty diesel tarrif so low. The area where I work at (petkasem) is so horrible. 95% of the cars on the road here are dirty diesel based. I can't breath when I walk on the road!

Clearly, the Thai government has NO interest in the well being of the Thai people, only to brainwash them into thinking diesel, NGV, LPG are the only option for them. And seriously, what's with E85??? In the Motorshow there was a whole booth only for E85! Who uses that??? For the past 3 years the government has been promoting that, but has anyone seen a E85 car on the road, let alone a fuel station??? There are only 10 in the entire country!

At least Nissan's effort in the Motorshow to make such a big statement is great, as many Thais were surrounding the Leaf and asking questions. Finally someone is opening people's minds (I did it for 3 years without any success).

Even the motorcycle stands were horrible, only to show crappy electric scooters that have no speed or range and a hefty price tag...Eclimo, a Malaysian motorcycle company has recently introduced an awesome electric motorcycle that just blew my mind. Sadly, it won't be sold in Thailand. Nevertheless, I will import it :)

If you are more interested and would like to know more about EV's and what they are capable of, please look at the below links:

www.teslamotors.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrHXdM9f13k

www.eclimo.com.my

google the following:

audi e-tron

nissan leaf

tesla model s

mercedes amg e-cell gullwing

mission motors one

brammo enertia plus and brammo empulse

There are so many others, but that is up to you to decide if you wish to further research.

For Thailand though, if you are in need of a car badly, the Toyota Prius is your best bet at a great eco vehicle. Otherwise, please wait and if ANYONE has connections in the Thai government, PLEASE push them to release electric cars here. Bangkok needs them badly.

On another note, have you noticed any Camry hybrid or Prius owners driving irresposibly??? I haven't and I drive 60kms everyday. Obviously, hybrids and electric cars will have a big impact on accident rates, proper driving habits and ecological driving and thus people's personalities will change for the better...

Please let me know what you think, especially the Thai people. I would really like to see your point of view on EV's and your government policies.

Thanks for reading my post :)post-102069-0-45884000-1301297000_thumb.

By the way, just to let you know, the most polluting transportation category in Thailand are the motorcycles. Their engines are highly inefficient. Thus electric motorcycles should enter the market first. Please look into Eclimo and you will wnt one too for sure!

Rechargeable electric cars is a technical cul de sac if ever there were one. Expensive and with limited range/power.

Hydrogen is the way to go. Can use existing internal combustion engines or in a fuel cell.

Rechargeable electric cars is a technical cul de sac if ever there were one. Expensive and with limited range/power.

Hydrogen is the way to go. Can use existing internal combustion engines or in a fuel cell.

Seconded. charging the car for hours every 200 or even 400 Km is no option.

Hydrogen seems the way to go, as it is highly energetic and just produces water when it burns.

Now the challenge is to produce it efficently and safely without busting any NPP roofs.

Seconded. charging the car for hours every 200 or even 400 Km is no option.

Hydrogen seems the way to go, as it is highly energetic and just produces water when it burns.

Now the challenge is to produce it efficently and safely without busting any NPP roofs.

Hydrogen is a clean solution....to crude oil. However, they are just trying to make it so it replaces the fuel in gas stations. It will have the same volatile pricing. In addition, liquid hydrogen is dangerous and hard to process. Gas hydrogen is easier to make (a little). However, hydrogen in itself leaks when stored in vehicles. For example, leaving your car for 2 days, you will have 30% less in the car...

Other statistics: energy storage and transfer to propelling energy

petrol vs hydrogen vs battery = 25% for petrol at its best vs 60% for hydrogen vs 97% for battery (from Tesla)

In addition, new battery technology from UK university (can't remember which), lets you charge 10-100 times faster and have 3 times more energy density. will be released soon...

Ok, let me show you a good example of the benefits of an electric car:

no maintenance or very very very low maintenance (case of RAV4 EV owner in California: 15 years and only did brakes, tires and new batteries)

no fumes

no sound or cool whizzing sound (in case of Tesla)

motor lasts 400 years (power of magnets)

10 years of battery usage (usefulness of battery and even after that time it is still capable of 70%). after that, think of what battery technology will be in the market. organic, light weight, more power, more kilometers, more durable etc. etc. and then you will have like a brand new car...

high resale value or in other words low depreciation

in case of the eclimo motorcycle; you can submerge the motors in water and still drive... 0_0

think of the aftermarket parts possibilities for electric cars

possibility to add solar cells (once they become better) to roof and hood and paint and windows....

currently in thailand 1 liter of petrol 38 baht for 91 gasohol. ferrari goes 1 liter per kilometer if you push the car. an electric car can go for that same amount of money for a 100kms....

think please

i personally reckon that there are some American companies getting mighty close to changing the World via their genetically manipulated fossil fuel producing algaes. google joule unlimited.

The new mainstream alternative fuel won't necessarily got to the company with the best solution, but the company with the best (and most expensive) marketing campaign.

It'll be one of the big guns.

I wouldnt worry about the batteries as they wont be made. Electric cars what a great idea, I just cant imagine where the hell they are going to find all the electricity to power them being every electrical grid in the world is maxed out and in many places past that. Oh thats right windmills and solar lol.

• Like 1

I talked to the sales ad marketing staff of Nissan and Mitsubishi. Both said that the Thai government doesn't want Ev's to be sold, because the power grid just couldn't handle them and they would need to build more dams and nuclear power plants in order to then release Ev's into the Thai market, which is COMPLETE BOLLUCKS!!!!

No, it is actually very true. There are going to be no solar powered charging farms in central Bangkok where the vast majority of Ev's would be used. If electric vehicles are used at all, they will all be charged in the central business district during the middle of the day at peak usage while people are in the office. Any electricity used to charge these vehicles will come from more natural gas power plants, or more coal power plants now that the nuclear option has been effectively shot down.

Please try and leave your biases at the door and listen to the reality that people are trying to explain to you. They are not stating complete <deleted>. They are stating the unpleasant facts of the situation, while you insist on visiting fantasy land. Fossil fuels are here to stay, and when they are gone, so is our industrial way of life. Some sort of life will be possible for a reduced population with renewables, but it won't be the happy motoring lifestyle we have today.

EV's are dead end, and I'm heartened to see that at least someone in government understands this. Conservation, low energy lifestyles, walking and mass transit is the only way forward. Cars are going to be museum pieces in a century. Neither hydrogen or electric vehicles are going to save us from that fate. The best option is simply to use existing internal combustion engines until the fuel to propel them is used up. Then, that's it. Bicycles are going to be all the rage for your great grandchildren.

I used to be a big fan of hydrogen until about 10 years ago, but the future for cars is electric. There is such a choice for generating sources, that there really is no alternative (at present).

It is also the future, because it allows huge storage from intermittent supply sources, such as wind and solar.

Sorry, but this debate was resolved, many years ago.

I used to be a big fan of hydrogen until about 10 years ago, but the future for cars is electric. There is such a choice for generating sources, that there really is no alternative (at present).

It is also the future, because it allows huge storage from intermittent supply sources, such as wind and solar.

Sorry, but this debate was resolved, many years ago.

Hydrogen can be stored much better than electricity.

What do you suggest we power our cars with?

I use mine to travel long distances at once, waiting hours to recharge is not acceptable.

And think about all the batteries in non-moving vehicles that would need to have their charge maintained, so that they are ready when needed?

batteries can be recycled up to 90%, as proven by Tesla Motors, and thats after 10 years of their usage, as i stated before.

in addition, yes i love going with the bicycle, but have u tried on the streets in bkk? after 5 minutes you just give up. at least when evs are around you wouldnt mind being behind as there are no emmissions.

but fine, if you think those polititians are correct, then let the corruption continue, let the self interest of the thais be as it is, let the selfishness of road habits continue, let them drive with their large and dirty pickup for 50 meters from their house to their school (seen it), let vans leave their diesel engines on all day bringing the fumes throughout the halls of the schools where 6 year olds breath it, and then the parents think think why their child is sick...

walkiing and bicycles and public transport;; im all for it. but there arent any bicycle lanes in bkk, thus making it too dangerous and hazardous for health due to pollution. walking? the thais are TOO LAZY to walk. i love walking, but its also dangerous and hazardous. public transport? i love the systems put in place, but there is nothing near my house so i have no choice but to drive...

if the government doesnt want evs, then they should solve the above problems with more campaigns and infrastructure for those activities...

I talked to the sales ad marketing staff of Nissan and Mitsubishi. Both said that the Thai government doesn't want Ev's to be sold, because the power grid just couldn't handle them and they would need to build more dams and nuclear power plants in order to then release Ev's into the Thai market, which is COMPLETE BOLLUCKS!!!!

No, it is actually very true. There are going to be no solar powered charging farms in central Bangkok where the vast majority of Ev's would be used. If electric vehicles are used at all, they will all be charged in the central business district during the middle of the day at peak usage while people are in the office. Any electricity used to charge these vehicles will come from more natural gas power plants, or more coal power plants now that the nuclear option has been effectively shot down.

Please try and leave your biases at the door and listen to the reality that people are trying to explain to you. They are not stating complete <deleted>. They are stating the unpleasant facts of the situation, while you insist on visiting fantasy land. Fossil fuels are here to stay, and when they are gone, so is our industrial way of life. Some sort of life will be possible for a reduced population with renewables, but it won't be the happy motoring lifestyle we have today.

EV's are dead end, and I'm heartened to see that at least someone in government understands this. Conservation, low energy lifestyles, walking and mass transit is the only way forward. Cars are going to be museum pieces in a century. Neither hydrogen or electric vehicles are going to save us from that fate. The best option is simply to use existing internal combustion engines until the fuel to propel them is used up. Then, that's it. Bicycles are going to be all the rage for your great grandchildren.

the entire bts line can covered with solar. the lines, the stations and the trains. below that or at designated parking lots for bts, they could have the chargers. please read my comments as well as research on the upcoming technology on how evs and their infrastructue could benefit the people and the pockets of the already wealthy few