Electric Vehicles In Thailand

Google "HHO" and check it out . These systems are quietly being made and used here in thailand. Quiet because the powers that be don't want people to know of this so simple technology.

1st of April has passed already...

• 3 weeks later...

Rechargeable electric cars is a technical cul de sac if ever there were one. Expensive and with limited range/power.

Hydrogen is the way to go. Can use existing internal combustion engines or in a fuel cell.

Seconded. charging the car for hours every 200 or even 400 Km is no option.

Hydrogen seems the way to go, as it is highly energetic and just produces water when it burns.

Now the challenge is to produce it efficently and safely without busting any NPP roofs.

Yes and it requires NO additional power consumption from a power grid to recharge or any dangerous and heavy batteries to recycle. EV is not as clean as people would like to think it is it just shifts the problems around and they still have no solutions for them..

Operationally there is other dangers in EV not the least of which is them being too quiet for pedestrians and other vehicles especially with such fast throttle response rates and any sort of long trip when they get efficient enough will be putting many drivers to sleep literally..

For them to work well enough an entire infrastructure system similar to a cable car set up is required for on-the-go recharges for a fee or alternate system of charge like a toll system where you pay to travel while recharging I have an idea how to accomplish this but no investors backing to produce and test it and that is the first step to practical application without it it will not fly well as this is the consumers primary concerns coupled with cost for such limited use..

This is an interesting topic/idea and I believe it is being driven silently by the wheels of business and finance behind the scenes, it's only a matter if time before EV becomes more mainstream in certain areas.

One problem I foresee for Bangkok specifically is given that most of us in the CBD and downtown area live in condos it would be one heck of a retrofit to run power to all the parking garages at someone's cost (maybe the juristic person, maybe the owner of the space). Also, how long can an EV last when stuck in rainy season Bangkok traffic? (keep in mind that if you want drive the EV to work and want to have a full charge the office building you work in will also have to retrofit the parking lot too)

I used to be a big fan of hydrogen until about 10 years ago, but the future for cars is electric. There is such a choice for generating sources, that there really is no alternative (at present).

It is also the future, because it allows huge storage from intermittent supply sources, such as wind and solar.

Sorry, but this debate was resolved, many years ago.

There is a British company, ITM, that have already produced, certified and are marketing the means to produce and store clean, green hydrogen. This can be done by either low cost off peak electricity or even renewable sources. Even better is that shortly they will be marketing a home generating/refuelling solution for hydrogen production that will eliminate the need for visits to the 'gas station' to refuel your car thus eliminating one of the main problems of a switch to hydrogen, that of a total replacement of the fossil fuel based infrastructure.

Also, how long can an EV last when stuck in rainy season Bangkok traffic?

They don't use much power when stationary. In fact, it would only be the lighting and radio that used any power.

No. It's the air conditioning that is the huge draw. You'd be lucky to get home from the office on most evenings before your car ran out of power. I can imagine that getting stuck in one of the 20 minute waits for the princess to go by would result in quite a few EVs suddenly becoming large road ornaments.

Electric vehicles are only practical in temperate climates where you don't need much in terms of climate control. They are a horrible idea for Thailand. Extremely impractical.

No. It's the air conditioning that is the huge draw. You'd be lucky to get home from the office on most evenings before your car ran out of power. I can imagine that getting stuck in one of the 20 minute waits for the princess to go by would result in quite a few EVs suddenly becoming large road ornaments.

I forgot about aircon! There would have to be a different technology for that to be realistic.. A fan would have to do. For an open vehicle or motor bike, it would do the job fine. Heating would be a problem in colder climates, though the motor(s) might generate enough heat..

EVs won't replace the BMWs any time soon, but as a low budget vehicle for the masses it could work. Better public transport should be the priority though. Should turn some of these underused railway lines into a light rail network.

Better public transport should be the priority though. Should turn some of these underused railway lines into a light rail network.

And we arrive back at the beginning.

This is the where we need to concentrate our efforts. EVs are a distraction that will serve a few rich patrons at best. Electrified mass transit is the true unsung, ignoble hero of the 21st century.

Who the hell wants to buy an electric car, I want to buy a V8 soon and it will be PETROL.....................

I could never imagine a V8 running on batteries, its just not manly enough, plus I love the smell of petrol that a V8 burns.

You'd be amazed at the power of the sportier electric cars. They would leave a V8 for dead. Only thing missing is the noise.

Who the hell wants to buy an electric car, I want to buy a V8 soon and it will be PETROL.....................

I could never imagine a V8 running on batteries, its just not manly enough, plus I love the smell of petrol that a V8 burns.

You'd be amazed at the power of the sportier electric cars. They would leave a V8 for dead. Only thing missing is the noise.

Only thing missing????? The noise is the most important part.

The day I drive an electric V8 is the day I will start wearing skirts.

• 3 months later...

Also, how long can an EV last when stuck in rainy season Bangkok traffic?

They don't use much power when stationary. In fact, it would only be the lighting and radio that used any power.

in addition to that, Nissan leaf has just released a new system for buyers in Japan where the battery of the car will be used to power the house in condition when there is a power cut. a full battery would power the entire house for 2 days!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So many people here have the answers, while probably not even spending 20 minutes to research the subject.

Hydrogen:

is not a practical solution within the next 20-30 years. The technological obsticles are huge, and the price for a hydrogen car would be hundreds of thousands of dollars with the current technology.

Electric cars:

The technology is here, and its working.

BetterPlace has a complete solution, including charging spots, battery replacement stations and grid management software.

Their solution will go on a large scale within 6-12 months, in Denmark and Israel.

Australia and Hawaii also have ongoing projects.

As for producing clean energy for electric cars:

Wind energy is already about the same price as coal power, and will be as cheap as natural gas within 5-10 years.

Solar power is expensive, but the prices are dropping very rapidly.

The bottom line is that its possible in today's technology and prices to convert the whole market into electric cars. However it would take many years since car fleets are replaced over long periods (average life span of a car is 10-15 year depending on the country).

So my prediction is that within 25 years, gasoline cars would be collectors items only.

• 4 weeks later...

As stupid as it might sound, I must write that I've realized that the Thais, so eager to artificially inflate their image, usually buy the most expensive products, incl. cars. While the westerners are, most of them, searching for the best quality-price combination, the Thais, disregarding their income or wealth, are picking the most expensive.

Eventually the electric cars will be affordable and even cheaper and at that time no Thai will buy them :)

I am trying to find myself an electric scooter... I've seen in BigC a few years ago; now they vanished. The price was half of the gas ones, still nobody bought them so they probably packed and go back home (I think they're Chinese brands)

Maybe you're thinking BIG will compensate something else, much smaller :):) (just kidding)

So many people here have the answers, while probably not even spending 20 minutes to research the subject.

Hydrogen:

is not a practical solution within the next 20-30 years. The technological obsticles are huge, and the price for a hydrogen car would be hundreds of thousands of dollars with the current technology.

Electric cars:

The technology is here, and its working.

BetterPlace has a complete solution, including charging spots, battery replacement stations and grid management software.

Their solution will go on a large scale within 6-12 months, in Denmark and Israel.

Australia and Hawaii also have ongoing projects.

As for producing clean energy for electric cars:

Wind energy is already about the same price as coal power, and will be as cheap as natural gas within 5-10 years.

Solar power is expensive, but the prices are dropping very rapidly.

The bottom line is that its possible in today's technology and prices to convert the whole market into electric cars. However it would take many years since car fleets are replaced over long periods (average life span of a car is 10-15 year depending on the country).

So my prediction is that within 25 years, gasoline cars would be collectors items only.

I do agree with most of your points; especially hydrogen - most people don't realize that the hydrogen in the fuel cell vehicles being trialed is actually produced from reforming fossil fuels (see 'reformer'). To produce hydrogen via electrolysis from renewable sources of electricity (ie wind/solar/tidal) would require some sort of technological miracle. Using the same electricity to charge cars seems much smarter when you consider how much harder transporting hydrogen would be.

There is a fantastic British electricity company 'Ecotricity' which is getting consumers and reinvesting in green tech. This is probably the solution for all countries, new energy companies building infrastructure. Ecotricity make a good case for wind; the turbines double every decade so the numbers will half in the future. Furthermore, half the cost of PV solar cells is the silica and a new Californian company is pioneering the manufacture using a fraction of the silica presently required. It's easy to see how one solar cell today can be recycled into multiple ones tomorrow.

Finally, although hybrid cars are feeding technology into electric cars such as regenerative braking, new bio-fuel companies are emerging to try to mass produce ethanol and diesel using bugs, Co2 and sunlight. A hybrid/bio-ethanol future is far more likely as hybrids solve the fuel economy problems of cars. The truth is that all cars are efficient when moving, even a Ferrari will get 20+mpg highway. Fuel is wasted when stationary or moving slowly which is where hybrids are beneficial whilst in EV mode.

Google "HHO" and check it out . These systems are quietly being made and used here in thailand. Quiet because the powers that be don't want people to know of this so simple technology.

I am sure you checked it out. Ignorance. You can buy specific kits for any gasoline or diesel engines or if one is not totally ignorant you can make your own as thousands have. Actually the ones I have had personal experience with here in Thailand are very effective and incredibly cheap to make and operate. Educate yourself before proving how ignorant you are in the future. The reason hydrogen is not common is for one, ignorance , but mainly because large companies have yet to figure out how to mass produce and safely store hydrogen plus since most folks can do it themselves for a couple hundred dollars there is no profit to be made. Google even likes idiots.

In another point, the automotive industry hasnt given the electric car any chance yet. its still in its infancy. why dont we wait like to combustion engine and see what technology pops up in a 100 years.

This is absolutely wrong. The first car ever to exceed 60 MPH was an electric car.

In 1899!!

First car to exceed 100kph

So it has already been over 100 years, my friend. Electric vehicle technology is hardly in it's infancy!!

I am sure you checked it out. Ignorance. You can buy specific kits for any gasoline or diesel engines or if one is not totally ignorant you can make your own as thousands have. Actually the ones I have had personal experience with here in Thailand are very effective and incredibly cheap to make and operate. Educate yourself before proving how ignorant you are in the future. The reason hydrogen is not common is for one, ignorance , but mainly because large companies have yet to figure out how to mass produce and safely store hydrogen plus since most folks can do it themselves for a couple hundred dollars there is no profit to be made. Google even likes idiots.

Are you trying making money by referring traffic to these links or were you just faling for this extremely obvious scam?:rolleyes:

Run your car on water - it's a scam . Talking about ignorance, education and idiots ... .

• 2 weeks later...

In another point, the automotive industry hasnt given the electric car any chance yet. its still in its infancy. why dont we wait like to combustion engine and see what technology pops up in a 100 years.

This is absolutely wrong. The first car ever to exceed 60 MPH was an electric car.

In 1899!!

First car to exceed 100kph

So it has already been over 100 years, my friend. Electric vehicle technology is hardly in it's infancy!!

That is right, Porsche was the first to introduce electric cars. The first race was electric, etc. etc. But soon oil came and removed free energy by buying the patents for battery technology and increasing the price so much that it seemed unfeasible to produce an electric car. Even now most battery technology is owned by chevron, who bought a battery company in 1998 and removed it from the radar.

So basically, electric cars have not been given the chance to enter the market through mass manufacturers, thus no R&D has been put on them. Even most motors used are not specifically designed for electric cars. This is what I mean by in its infancy...

• 6 months later...

I built my own electric Ford Ranger pickup truck in the United States. Too much trouble to import it though. All the major parts were made in the US but I wonder what it would cost to import them. Really all you would need to get started is the motor (about $2000.00) and the controller (another $2000.00). Using an existing used vehicle already in Thailand all you would really need is a welder and someone to help machine the motor/transmission adapter. I built my truck in my garage in a few months in my spare time. The gas mileage cannot be beat. smile.png

Whether this is a net gain for a healthy planet depends on so many factors.

How was the electricity generated and what level of efficiency is there between the power plant and when it's stored in your batteries (very very low).

What levels of energy and other resources when into manufacturing the car relative to a normal one, total lifespan, etc.

Best is to design your life so you don't need a car.

Better public transport should be the priority though. Should turn some of these underused railway lines into a light rail network.

And we arrive back at the beginning.

This is the where we need to concentrate our efforts. EVs are a distraction that will serve a few rich patrons at best. Electrified mass transit is the true unsung, ignoble hero of the 21st century.

yup -

lots of possibilities with this puppy.

EV's are not for the elite or for the wealthy, I've own a Nissan Leaf since its launch in the Uk last year, I've covered over 16,000 miles doing the same normal driving route that i used to do in an Audi, So far those 16,000 miles have cost me approx £300 , those same miles in the Audi would have been nearer to £6000.

With no road tax, and 100% tax write off in the first year, its the most sensible car I have ever owned .

On the odd occasion I've had to travel further more than the batteries range, the dealer has lent me an oil burner vehicle free of charge.

I would love to bring the Leaf to Thailand but the import duties prevent me from doing this, so when I do move over I will have to sell it :-(

And before anyone replies with the usual argument about the inefficiencies of the electricity used, how much electricity do you think is used to produce Petrol / Diesel and then deliver it etc etc ?

Edited by daleph
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think Thailand could really benefit from Electric vehicles because of their quiet sound. Many of the trucks and cars are ridiculously loud> it's kind of stressful for walking pedestrians or people riding bikes. As well, the black gases coming from many of those same trucks and cars is gross to breath in.

I was always pleasantly surprised when a Prius or Camry Hybrid passed by me while I was riding my bicycle on the roads of Kamphaeng Phet. It's kind of weird how these cars carry so much status, though . . .

• 6 years later...

I am trying to find a EV since 2 years and besides „will“ „soon“ and „in 2020“ I actually have not heard much about EV‘s in Thailand, except that the import taxes are hilarious...

Does someone know which one is available atm?

There is a place called EV ASIA that sells electric cars in Thailand. Their site does not show all their cars.

I once saw a showroom at central which showed basically a souped up golf cart. But fully enclosed. 400k or so. Street legal, but not highway legal.

Anyone know how much it would cost to charge a car vs pay gas?

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DB using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

On 3/29/2011 at 7:18 AM, JPPR2 said:

Thailand has a sustained higher temperature. Electric cars will simply not work in Thailand

We live in Florida where temperatures are similar to Thailand.

My Ex Wife with whom I am still very friendly (we have a daughter together, and live only minutes apart) owns a Nissan leaf for a couple of years now, No heat related, range problems.

On 3/28/2011 at 9:27 AM, powderpuff said:

Has anyone thought about how to dispose of all those batteries?

Ticking time bomb.

EV batteries need to be replaced when they degrade to 80% but are still good for solar storage purposes.Expect to see a flood of second hand batteries repurposed for solar power storage in the next few years , making sollar less expensive and more practical.

IMO, at this point,  EVs are only practical as a second car. and for private homes where you have a garage for a charging station. Or for condominiums with a dedicated charging park area.

EVs , in whatever storage form , are the future.  As said the technology is at its infancy,  even though EV s were tried at one point or another in automotive history, no serious R&D was done until recently when Tesla changed the Automotive paradigm.  Who knows what type of batteries will be available in the future. 

PS: both Kia (soul)  and Hyundai (Ioniq) advertise an EV at their Thai website .  

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 7:10 PM, xcell said:

I am trying to find a EV since 2 years and besides „will“ „soon“ and „in 2020“ I actually have not heard much about EV‘s in Thailand, except that the import taxes are hilarious...

Does someone know which one is available atm?

Nissan Leaf 1,990,000 baht

Hyundai Ioniq 1,790,000 baht

• Like 1