Samsung Galaxy S2

ThaiLife

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the phone im looking to get if i cannot get my hands on a LG optimus 2x anytime soon.

This is shown on a Thai online phone shop , it looks like an import ( no warranty )

Shop Link

TL :jap:

Thanks for the link, but i rather buy the phone in a physical store with warranty, seen plenty of people on forums reporting problems with the phone "out of the box" and they returned it for a new one.

• 1 month later...

Looks like it will be available for purchase at the mobile expo 18,900 baht, http://www.thailandm.../2011/promotion

i am reliably informed by my son ,(who is dragging me there to buy one) that this is so.

You are 100% sure that this is so? This was discussed in another thread, and in that thread people say that you will be able to place an order for the phone at the Expo, not actually buy it and take it home with you....

I had my crackpot team investigate the add, the first 1000 seem to get the show (promotion) price 18,900 but its not clear if they are available at the show or not. "1 in 1000 good better" so whatever that means. Ill let you know on thursday

As I understand the situation...

1. The first 1,000 people who purchase this model, or put a deposit on it, will receive a special bag of promotions/accessories valued at 3,000 baht, (maybe up to 5,000 baht?), and this may include the usual tchotchkes, and/or bundled, discounted service provider calling/data plans, e.g. like AIS did with the launch of the Galaxy S, free unlimited 2G data for six months.

2. The MSRP will be 18,900 for everyone, not just the first 1,000 people and not just at the show. So you can buy this phone for 18,900 next month.

3. The phone is likely not available at the show, see True's PR, " TrueMove is taking orders for the current king of the Android throne, the Samsung Galaxy S II at the Thailand Mobile Expo on 2-5 June.", most Thai forums are talking about July for availability.

4. You may have to pay a non-refundable deposit, to both (possibly, as one of the first 1,000) get the promotional goodies and get on a wait-list for the first phones when they are available.

This is based on my read of the various third-hand rumors posted on Thai forums about this greatly anticipated model. There is a lot of confusion re: the "first 1,000", some claiming they get the phone for 15,900 :huh: , some claiming the phone will be available but maybe only a few hundred units, so expect some disappointment, and potentially large crowds.

Edited by lomatopo

Not trying to offend anyone. But with so many foreigners in Thailand, I do wish the Thai marketing team do published an English version advertisement for everyone benefit. And less marketing gimmick and straight to the point advertisement. It is difficult to keep guessing.

Can anyone translate this ?

source truemove.com and http://appreview.in....-s-2-promotion/ but googles translation of the site leaves me utterly confused. Also is Truemove currently the only provider of 3g? it mentions towards the end of the article that DTAC is supposed to roll out 3g 3rd quater, but i dont really trust googles translation that much.

Thailand-mobile-expo2011-hi-end-galaxysII_02.jpg

Thailand-mobile-expo2011-hi-end-galaxysII_03.jpg

Thailand-mobile-expo2011-hi-end-galaxysII_04.jpg

2011-05-31_162736.jpg

Edited by justsumhelp

To me it looks like AIS, DTAC and Truemove are offering different bags o' swag involving financing, data and some services. (The True 3G plan is actually worse than their current plan. :o )

The 3G situation remains fairly fluid and in flux. TOT and True are trying to expand their 3G network before the election, and DTAC might also be allowed to expand. AIS appears hosed at present re: 3G (they do have a large deployment in Chiang Mai, and small cells in Siam Paragon and Central World). Depending on the results of the election one might expect any new 3G build-out to be halted, or rapidly expanded! :rolleyes:

If you live in Bangkok and require 3G then True or TOT/MVNOs remain the only viable alternatives. If 2G suffices then DTAC or AIS are fine.

I would not link the phone purchase to a specific carrier. Buy the phone you want, then choose the best service provider and plan for your needs. Personally unless it is a matter or life/death I would hold off on purchase/deposit off this model until the dust settles. But you may already be getting crushed at Queen Sirikit Center by now.

FYI, I did just notice that there may be two separate models; i9100T and i9100, previously we were under the impression that the 3G radio was quad-band:

WCDMA / HSDPA Tri Band (850/1900/2100 MHz: for True Move and DTAC model i9100T) or (900/1900/2100 MHz: for the AIS version i9100).

So make sure to double-check this and get the right model for your service provider. This actually kind of sucks, if true, IMO.

Also, some are saying that the 18,900 price may indeed be a specially discounted introductory price, and that the MSRP might be ~ 21,900. Very confusing.

FYI, I did just notice that there may be two separate models; i9100T and i9100, previously we were under the impression that the 3G radio was quad-band:

WCDMA / HSDPA Tri Band (850/1900/2100 MHz: for True Move and DTAC model i9100T) or (900/1900/2100 MHz: for the AIS version i9100).

So make sure to double-check this and get the right model for your service provider. This actually kind of sucks, if true, IMO.

Also, some are saying that the 18,900 price may indeed be a specially discounted introductory price, and that the MSRP might be ~ 21,900. Very confusing.

Yes, I now do that with each phone. I check with the supported bands. I'm actually quite suprised how many NEW phones don't come standard with 850mhz. (or flash camera). I think it is intentional, but what can you do?

is there a way to check specific band coverage within the phone settings? or with software? (check the supported 3G bands)? I only look on the box. Sometimes it is also listed in the battery area.

Just returned from the show, thought I was getting there early, around 9:30, saw the que for the samsung galaxy s 2 promotion and it was well over 1000 people and did not start til 11:00. Thought about paying off some people at the front of the que but instead snuck into the show behind a press crew. Tried to get the True people to sign me up but refused to give me the all the promotions (desktop stand, battery extension case, and a ticket to see Junior Senior ) so i said screw it and will just buy it when it arrives in the store. The True employee confirmed it will be available on July 1'st for 18,900 and the Samsung representatives did not give a specific date they just said early July. The show itself isn't worth going to, Its like MBK but with very cute phone girls.

Also from all the information I gathered the phone is quad band, lacks the NFC , and is using the Exynos SoC.

Edited by justsumhelp

Just returned from the show, thought I was getting there early, around 9:30, saw the que for the samsung galaxy s 2 promotion and it was well over 1000

I just read about a Thai guy, arrived 9:00 AM got #890, finished at 2:00 PM. :o

The SGS2 is a quad-band GSM (850/900/1800/1900 MHz) voice/2G data phone, as are a lot of phones these days. Many of us were under the impression the SGS2 would also be quad-band 3G: 850/900/1900/2100 which would insure maximum 3G coverage going forward (perhaps, elections excluded). However it now appears as though there may be two versions:

YMMV, caveat emptor.

right now, the i9001T might be the better choice? After July 3, maybe the i9100?

From Samsung's website it list the phone as Quad band UMTS 850/900/1900/2100, http://www.samsung.c...cification.html . From my understanding it is just 2 different versions of the ROM (i9100 and i9100T), which can easily be changed since Samsung did not sign the bootloader, once the phone is rooted, (http://www.android-a...sung-galaxy-s2/) all you have to do is download the 'Galaxy S2 SIM Unlock' from the Android market. There are apparently two different versions of the phone but one is powered by the Exynos SoC and the other powered by the Tegra 2 SOC, and i have no idea about the latter's radios. But I have to admit i have never used an android phone and this one will be my first. I think the best option would just to purchase the phone directly from Samsung, that way if 3g does become more prevalent your not locked to any specific carrier.

Just returned from the show, thought I was getting there early, around 9:30, saw the que for the samsung galaxy s 2 promotion and it was well over 1000

I just read about a Thai guy, arrived 9:00 AM got #890, finished at 2:00 PM. :o

The SGS2 is a quad-band GSM (850/900/1800/1900 MHz) voice/2G data phone, as are a lot of phones these days. Many of us were under the impression the SGS2 would also be quad-band 3G: 850/900/1900/2100 which would insure maximum 3G coverage going forward (perhaps, elections excluded). However it now appears as though there may be two versions:

YMMV, caveat emptor.

right now, the i9001T might be the better choice? After July 3, maybe the i9100?

The i9100/i9100T, which appear to be the local models have the Exynos SoC, while the i9103 has the Nvidia Tegra 2 SoC. This is not really relevant, as far as I can tell. If you purchase here you will get an i9100/i9100T with the Exynos SoC. (You can verify the model number by removing the battery.)

What is relevant is the the 3G support. I haven't done enough research to state that the i9100 hardware has a quad-band 3G radio, which might or might not be 'flashable'. I have my doubts, but will reserve them.

• 1 month later...

GalaxyS2 is quad band 3G & quad band GSM. It also has NFC. I managed to figure out, that the model being sold in Thailand is the 16GB model & not the 32GB model. I wasn't able to get information on the chipset it will be using.

If the phone I go and pick up doesn't have quad band 3G or NFC, I will claim shenanegans when I go and pick up my phone. I'll also be pissed because any deviation from the normal will cause me problems when flashing custom roms. These are two of the three reasons I purchased this phone, the other being LED flash. I purchased pre-order at the mobile expo and before I purchased I specifically asked these questions. To be honest though, I knew more about these phones than the staff and they might have just been agreeing with me to get me to shut up. The phones should be arriving now and I'm curious to hear first reports on people who have the TrueMove models in their hands.

Here's the specs;http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9100_galaxy_s_ii-3621.php

Let me know when you get the phone in you hands.

From a thaidroidupdate.com via Google Translate

He said he would sell the two separate types of 850/2100 MHz and 900/2100 MHz frequencies available to the network, both AIS and DTAC (perhaps with a Prince of True Move), but to limit the frequency of the word. the Samsung seems to be limited to the Software, if we remove the non-Samsung's New Flash Rom, we can use the 3G spectrum has four well offline.

While this sucks, I'm ok with it as long as the hardware hasn't changed. I can fix the software.

• 1 month later...

This article say that the SGS2 has sold 3 million units in 55 days! Also some related iPhone 5 chatter.

Is Samsung Galaxy S 2 the best Apple iPhone 5 alternative?

Apple's delay in launching iPhone 5 has been Samsung Galaxy S 2's gain as the ultra-thin smartphone recorded phenomenal global sales of 3 million units in 55 days.

It's the best selling Samsung smartphone phone ever, selling 5M units in a quarter. Meanwhile Apple was selling 20M iPhone 4s... not bad for a year old phone. Still Samsung is pushing Apple all the way and it's a good thing for everyone.

Edited by nikster

KG5 for Poland, KG7 for Brazil. But honestly, what's the point? Most of these point releases address specific issues which you are probably not experiencing. They are not adding functionality. If your phone is working then relax, use it.

You can use one of the KIES programs to check for available firmware updates for your specific model/locale. I would recommend a USB attachment (not Air KIES), and a notebook (in case of loss of power) with an internet connection.

I assume you are running 2.3.3? There are leaked versions of 2.3.4 and 2.3.5, not sure how significant those may be for you, but if you must have the latest versions, untested, then go for it.

KG5 for Poland, KG7 for Brazil. But honestly, what's the point? Most of these point releases address specific issues which you are probably not experiencing. They are not adding functionality. If your phone is working then relax, use it.

You can use one of the KIES programs to check for available firmware updates for your specific model/locale. I would recommend a USB attachment (not Air KIES), and a notebook (in case of loss of power) with an internet connection.

I assume you are running 2.3.3? There are leaked versions of 2.3.4 and 2.3.5, not sure how significant those may be for you, but if you must have the latest versions, untested, then go for it.

Yes I have 2.3.3. Thanks for explanation, it's a great phone and I don't want to screw around with it.

Cheers