Samsung Galaxy S2

ThaiLife

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There does not seem to be an English language option for the Thai Samsung site. I am trying to set up a Samsung account, register my S2 and download Kies. Any clues on how to proceed?

I'm not sure about the account, or registering your device but KIES (which typically includes the required USB drivers) should be downloadable?

I got re-directed to the Thai site, http://www.samsungapps.com/about/onPc.as not sure this link will work, where you can download:

SAMSUNG Kies (kies_win.exe). 2.0.2.11071_128_2 Aug 4, 2554. 76.2 MB

Did you get a CD, or mini-CD in the box?

KIES, and the USB drivers, can be cantankerous. You need the USB drivers minimally to establish connectivity. KIES (regular, mini-, Air et al) provides a UI/shell for managing (copy, synch, back-up, update, etc.) the device.

There does not seem to be an English language option for the Thai Samsung site. I am trying to set up a Samsung account, register my S2 and download Kies. Any clues on how to proceed?

Try http://www.samsungdive.com/DiveMain.do

After you setup your account you will able to remotely track your device, wipe it clean, etc :>

Edited by kotsak

After you setup your account you will able to remotely track your device, wipe it clean, etc :>

That Samsung DIVE service used to be limited to just one or two select phone models, which may also have had to be proprietary like BADA. Can you confirm it now works for the SGS2?

I'm not sure about the account, or registering your device but KIES (which typically includes the required USB drivers) should be downloadable?

I got re-directed to the Thai site, http://www.samsungap...m/about/onPc.as not sure this link will work, where you can download:

SAMSUNG Kies (kies_win.exe). 2.0.2.11071_128_2 Aug 4, 2554. 76.2 MB

Did you get a CD, or mini-CD in the box?

KIES, and the USB drivers, can be cantankerous. You need the USB drivers minimally to establish connectivity. KIES (regular, mini-, Air et al) provides a UI/shell for managing (copy, synch, back-up, update, etc.) the device.

Thanks for the replies. Day 3 of being an S2 owner. I am fairly impressed with the phone but becoming very unimpressed with Samsung. I expected much better for a relatively high dollar purchase. Moving the thread mid-conversation did not help. Looks like we are bounced back here again.

To register the product using the phone, it first returns a massive T&C page in Thai. I do not want to hit 'accept' because I suspect the following registration pages will also be in Thai? Can anyone confirm this?

My decision to go with Android was on the expectation of a good easy UI for management on my PC (i.e. Kies). Trying to download from the two links provided failed with a 1.3mb and a 62.4kb download. Same same from international Samsung sites.

Can anyone tell me if, and how, they have registered their S2 by phone or PC satisfactorily, in English. Also has anyone successfully downloaded and set up Kies for PC in English?

I did not get a CD or mini-CD in the box.

Starting to think Itunes was the way to go.

Also has anyone successfully downloaded and set up Kies for PC in English?

I did not get a CD or mini-CD in the box.

Starting to think Itunes was the way to go.

I successfully downloaded and installed the KIES version I linked in post #33 (size: 82.3 MB; you should do this on a PC with a reasonably stable broadband connection, preferably not shared.

Samsung did include mini-CDs with KIES in some retail product here.

What OS (exactly) do you have?

May I ask what it is you're trying to do? Why do you need KIES? Page 111-112 cover's PC connectivity.

You could try KIES Air (p. 119, User's Guide); have your PC and SGS2 on the same WiFi network, launch KIES Air on the SGS2, use a browser to navigate to the URL KIES Air provided. Bada bing.

iTunes/iPhone is probably better for tracking, reporting, registering, monitoring, etc.

That Samsung DIVE service used to be limited to just one or two select phone models, which may also have had to be proprietary like BADA. Can you confirm it now works for the SGS2?

Yes it's working fine with SGS2 :)

Chinavet which Galaxy s2 did you purchase? the one from True or Ais?

I have the AIS S2.

I don't have WIFI access and I'm having a baaad connection day (aircard). Been hours trying to download the manual. Enough technology for this Sunday! Nearly beer o'clock.

Yes, I think MBK would be a good spot to go, you can find all the things your looking for their. The S2 should be priced around 18,500 give or take a few hundred baht. About the iphone i sold my 32gb 3gs for 10,000 about a month ago. However the closer we get to the Iphone 5 release the prices keep getting lower and lower, e.g. my friend sold his iphone 4 from America for 11,000 about a week ago. If you buy an iphone just make sure you get a factory unlocked one that way you will not need to hassel with ultrasn0w or a gevey sim to use it on different carriers.

Hi all, travelling to BKK in Sept. and wondering where the best place to get an S2 might be...MBK? and what price can I expect to pay this month? Also, is there a place that sells used iPhones, like 3g or 3gs? prices? Well, thx!!!

One thing that has also come up is, the phone is made in China, not Korea? Now the one I have is Korea, but all the others I have seen are made in China. My battery is made in Korea, assembled in China? The Samsong factory is farming out manufacturing to China to meet demand? Under the battery is where you find "manufactured in".

Anyone have info on this? Are they knockoffs?

I've heard this phone comes with Swype onscreen keyboard? Is it in Thai as well? How is the Thai input keyboard - easy to use for those that need it?

Mine came with english language but I was able to download thai keyboard and language program for the wife. She finds the keyboard fine, we switch back and forth similar to win7. As for swype, I still can't figure it out in english let alone thai?

I've heard this phone comes with Swype onscreen keyboard? Is it in Thai as well? How is the Thai input keyboard - easy to use for those that need it?

You can add other/additional Thai keyboards from The Market, DroidSans and Arch are two of the more popular. There are some Thai Swype keyboards but I can't vouch for their ease of use.

http://www.droidsans.com/tswype-thai-swype-keyboard-announced

Also be aware that some of the 2.3.4 and 2.3.5 custom ROMs are based on leaks which do not have Thai fonts. I had to push those Droidsans ttf's to my phone after flashing a 2.3.4 custom ROM, in order to be able to display Thai fonts.

Heres a small font pack containing thai and a few other languages for and easy CWM zip, saves some time pushing ;)http://nfye.eu/addons/packs-cm/stock-fonts-03.zip

You can add other/additional Thai keyboards from The Market, DroidSans and Arch are two of the more popular. There are some Thai Swype keyboards but I can't vouch for their ease of use.

http://www.droidsans...board-announced

Also be aware that some of the 2.3.4 and 2.3.5 custom ROMs are based on leaks which do not have Thai fonts. I had to push those Droidsans ttf's to my phone after flashing a 2.3.4 custom ROM, in order to be able to display Thai fonts.

I was in MBK last week and the first shop I asked quoted 17,500 for the Galaxy s2. That was without haggling. Quite surprised the price went down that fast, actually.

Hi all, travelling to BKK in Sept. and wondering where the best place to get an S2 might be...MBK? and what price can I expect to pay this month? Also, is there a place that sells used iPhones, like 3g or 3gs? prices? Well, thx!!!

All the ones made in China are cheap knock offs that will eventually explode or suddenly become animate and kill baby kittens. But seriously i think it has to do with manufacturing cost and/or supply and demand. My phone bought in thailand was made in China but has a korean battery.

I asked on this other thread. what is with some sg made in Korea others made im China?

All the ones made in China are cheap knock offs that will eventually explode or suddenly become animate and kill baby kittens. But seriously i think it has to do with manufacturing cost and/or supply and demand. My phone bought in thailand was made in China but has a korean battery.

I asked on this other thread. what is with some sg made in Korea others made im China?

OK. no issue with made in China if sanctioned by samsung and I'm not a cat lover :) . All use so far in Canada, back home in thai Oct so will unlock and find a 3G server there. Runs like a rocket here, IPhone was no where near this speed. Installed thai language package and keys, works great.

• 4 weeks later...

I just purchased my Galaxy S II i9100T from Power buy and it was priced 18900 and they discounted 500thb for me and then I paid with my SCB credit card for another 6% off for a grand total of 17296thb which I pay in 4 equal monthly payments on my credit card. It also came with a free Samsung branded WEP450 bluetooth headset. I honestly asked for the i9100 and not the i9100T but when I got home just now I see they gave me the T model. I might go back in tomorrow and swap it for the non T model. After reading through this thread it might seem like the 3G freq limitations are software (firmware) based and not hardware based. Has this been confirmed yet? My intention was to ditch the included ROM and load it with cyanogen's rom which is now supporting Galaxy S2 Cyanogen. I don't want to go flashing it till I know that it's a software issue (that would be great) and not a hardware limitation ( :( )

It would be great of someone could confirm that for me. Also, does this thing have the NFC hardware support or not? I fully expected that it did and now I'm not so sure it does. Is that software disabled/enabled in the thai version or is it missing the hardware? How can we verify that the thai model sold here has the NFC hardware in it? I would be very disappointed to find out that the models being sold here are lacking the NFC hardware as even though it's of little use now I expect to be using it in the future and plan to keep this phone for a few years.

If anyone can clarify those 2 things it would be greatly appreciated. Alos, I have the droid thai fonts already but I'm wonder where I can find the Thai swype? I have the thai droidsan keyboard from the market but would love to have the thai swype as well just for the wife.

Thanks in advance....

How do you get discounts at Powerbuy?

Whenever I ask, they wouldn't give a single Baht. And I do pay cash.

Maybe TIT....

The technical data of the S2 in Thailand are here:

http://www.tgfone.com/showmodel.php?my_id=1357

Which clearly states HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100

I would not buy any provider branded phone. But you have a good chance that a reflash would solve that. But be careful of warranty issues if you hack your phone.

Edited by GreenSnapper

How do you get discounts at Powerbuy?

Whenever I ask, they wouldn't give a single Baht. And I do pay cash.

Maybe TIT....

Samsung just had an 11 day super sale, in conjunction with Powerbuy, and other retail outlets, on everything they make, 25 Aug - 4 Sep. Lots of discounting, promotions and freebies. I saw the flyer but can't Also note the credit card tie-ins so better too pay with a local credit card rather than cash.

Not sure about the NFC. My guess is No, the RFID chip is not on localized SGS2 units. It will be on the AT&T SGS2 variant, according to some reports form the launch last week.

Re: quad-band support. There have been a few reports here that i9100 and i9100T can work on 850 and 900 Mhz 3G networks, but may require some tweaking and/or (official) firmware updates. YMMV.

Edited by lomatopo

Both T & I models were going for 16900THB in MBK last week..

Be careful saving a 1000 Baht or so at MBK.

You may be lucky and everything goes well, but in case of warranty issues suddenly nobody speaks "Inglit" and your great deal will not be so great anymore.

Both T & I models were going for 16900THB in MBK last week..

Be careful saving a 1000 Baht or so at MBK.

You may be lucky and everything goes well, but in case of warranty issues suddenly nobody speaks "Inglit" and your great deal will not be so great anymore.

This is a strange comment. Samsung Thailand provides warranty service, not the retailer.

Retailers often take little or no margin (or even negative) at the end of the month in an effort to increase gross revenue and meet any monthly channel requirements, which insure future discount levels. This is quite commonplace here.

Or are you suggesting that the units may be somehow compromised? Actually, I'm not sure what you are saying?

• 1 month later...

Well right now im planning on buying either the SGS2 or wait for the iPhone 4S. The galaxy nexus is way too big despite the 720p screen. So my question is what would you get and why, religion aside. Also, does anybody know when the white version of the galaxy s2 is coming? I was in korea and my friend already has one, quite cool looking aswell.