Samsung Galaxy S2

ThaiLife

Saw the white versions in Phuket. So there must be some in BKK by now, if that is where you are. Very sexy white phone!!!

I saw the white version in BIG C. Rama 4 last week. Yes , it's beautiful but somehow I prefer my black Galaxy.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the S2 and also use an ipod touch which has the iphone interface..

These days, I'm sold on Android. It's much more flexible, does the web better (has full flash support), can take memory expansion and can easily be reflashed/overclocked etc etc.

Iphone is slicker in some ways and the apps are generally better quality controlled, but control seems to be the theme on too many aspects for me.

Plus the S2 has a bigger and apparently less fragile screen.

I'm finding my colleagues are interested in my S2 and it's big bright screen. To me, their iphones seem dated and small.

And for those of you who miss the iphone, you can get a launcher for free that makes your sg2 look like an iphone, complete with icons and folders. <deleted> brillitant! The days of restrictive iphones are over.

But, I do love my ipad and spent way too much money on apps to give it up.

• 3 weeks later...

I've found batteries being way overpriced in Thailand. Buy it on Ebay, for example extended battery, cover and charger for less than 500 baht, shipping included.

Personally I'd hate having a thick phone like that and would rather buy 3 spare standard batteries and charger for ~360 baht, shipping included.

Takes 2-3 weeks to arrive, and things don't always turn up, but if you pay with Paypal this is no problem, just contact the seller and have them send another one. If they refuse, get a refund from Paypal. I've never been hassled for duties on small items like this.

This is essentially what I do with my HTC Desire. With 3 batteries I always have one in the phone, one in my pocket and one in the charger, just swapping out the battery when it runs low.

So I decided on the gs2 and by God its amazing. The only problem is the battery life, it lasts a day on normal usage which is light gaming, music through headphones and Bluetooth and browsing. Also, does anyone know who's the 5.1 change sound work? Finally, does anybody have an opinion on a good case?

So I decided on the gs2 and by God its amazing. The only problem is the battery life, it lasts a day on normal usage which is light gaming, music through headphones and Bluetooth and browsing. Also, does anyone know who's the 5.1 change sound work? Finally, does anybody have an opinion on a good case?

These Dapad cases were selling well when I looked last - about 500THB a piece. I got a black one and like it, works as a phone stand as well when lid is flipped back under phone.

• 4 months later...

I'm looking to get my wife and S2. At present she is with true but wants to change anyway. Which company offer a good contract with Samsung please.

She doesn't use the phone much but it will be useful for e-mail contact when out from home ... thanks

Also what price should I be looking to pay.

Edited by JAS21

^ It looks like the box shops in MBK are down to 16,500, some even 16,400, I can recommend LinkMobile. Personally I would try to buy an i9100 rather than an i9100T. After that you can choose whichever service provider you want: TrueMove H, TrueMove, DTAC/Happy, AIS-One-2-Call, Cat My; pre-paid or post-paid. Generally speaking it is better to buy the phone form a phone shop rather than a service provider.

http://www.thaimobilecenter.com/spec/price_from_user_all.asp?id=2861

i bought two in fortune last autumn when they were 17,500

at that time ,they were stil being advertised as 18,900 from the networks shops

probably a fair bit cheaper now that every manufacturer has 4"+ models available

there wasnt the sensation xl or the motorola razr or the galaxy nexus etc when i got mine so at least it has some competition now

^ It looks like the box shops in MBK are down to 16,500, some even 16,400, I can recommend LinkMobile. Personally I would try to buy an i9100 rather than an i9100T. After that you can choose whichever service provider you want: TrueMove H, TrueMove, DTAC/Happy, AIS-One-2-Call, Cat My; pre-paid or post-paid. Generally speaking it is better to buy the phone form a phone shop rather than a service provider.

http://www.thaimobil...all.asp?id=2861

why do you say 9100 over the 9100t?

I don't know what you mean with a box shop,but when I bought my Galaxy Note at MBK 2 weeks ago they were selling the Thai version of the Galaxy SII for 15.900 and the international one for 15.500.Reason I choose for the Note at an only 1700 Baht premium.

I don't know what you mean with a box shop,but when I bought my Galaxy Note at MBK 2 weeks ago they were selling the Thai version of the Galaxy SII for 15.900 and the international one for 15.500.Reason I choose for the Note at an only 1700 Baht premium.

the note is not holding its value as well as the gs2 apparenty if you can get one now for around 17k

they were about 22k so thata big drop in a few months

the note is not holding its value as well as the gs2 apparenty if you can get one now for around 17k

they were about 22k so thata big drop in a few months

They are still 22.900 in the retail shops.

The SGS2 still has the same MSRP, 18,900 THB, that it had at launch. The box shops seem to be selling it at 16,500 currently. This may come down after the SGS3 is announced ( May 3 ) and becomes available locally, guessing July-ish?

The Note has an MSRP of 22,900 and is available at box shops for 21,000.

If people are seeing prices lower than these maybe provide a link or some detail regarding the shop?

The SGS2 still has the same MSRP, 18,900 THB, that it had at launch. The box shops seem to be selling it at 16,500 currently. This may come down after the SGS3 is announced ( May 3 ) and becomes available locally, guessing July-ish?

The Note has an MSRP of 22,900 and is available at box shops for 21,000.

If people are seeing prices lower than these maybe provide a link or some detail regarding the shop?

As I posted already 17.200 baht for a Note grey import,official one can't remember exactly but was below 20.000.Can't be bothered to look after the receipt as I'm moving house and it must be the hottest day in a lifetime today but shop called something like My Lady or My sister.With the back to the parking level,far left and the row before the accessorie shops.

• 4 months later...

Get yourself one of those covers with a built in battery. Basically doubles it.

And install Juice Defender, which turns off all the radios and stuff when you are not using them.

And Autokiller Memory Optimiser to prune apps you aren't using (if you've rooted it).

Edited by Chicog

Prices on the gs2 are definitely coming down. Just this week Walmart announced they are now selling the gs2 or $300 (9000thb) with no contract http://www.mobiletor.com/2012/09/06/samsung-galaxy-s2-t-mobile-walmart-price-availibility/

I would expect to see other regions dropping prices on these as well since the newer models will be taking top billing.

Prices on the gs2 are definitely coming down. Just this week Walmart announced they are now selling the gs2 or $300 (9000thb) with no contract http://www.mobiletor...e-availibility/

I would expect to see other regions dropping prices on these as well since the newer models will be taking top billing.

I probably wouldn't read too much into this Walmart promotion, or at least use it to predict price movements here. That is a completely different version (T989), still subsidized by both T-Mo and Walmart, requires a bundled $30 first month pre-paid fee, and is locked to T-Mo. (Yes, it could probably be unlocked.) I assume this is just a simple promotion to move product out of the channel, Walmart doesn't like to keep a lot of inventory.

AS far as I can tell, the SGS2 continues to occupy that upper mid-range space with a local MSRP of 17,500 (was 18,900 at launch); 15,000 wholesale and 13,000 grey-market. It is bracketed by the SGS3 above and the SGSAdvance below.

Prices on the gs2 are definitely coming down. Just this week Walmart announced they are now selling the gs2 or $300 (9000thb) with no contract http://www.mobiletor...e-availibility/

I probably wouldn't read too much into this Walmart promotion, or at least use it to predict price movements here. That is a completely different version (T989), still subsidized by both T-Mo and Walmart, requires a bundled $30 first month pre-paid fee, and is locked to T-Mo. (Yes, it could probably be unlocked.) I assume this is just a simple promotion to move product out of the channel, Walmart doesn't like to keep a lot of inventory.

AS far as I can tell, the SGS2 continues to occupy that upper mid-range space with a local MSRP of 17,500 (was 18,900 at launch); 15,000 wholesale and 13,000 grey-market. It is bracketed by the SGS3 above and the SGSAdvance below.

Well it can be had without a contract so even if you just had to pay the first month then add 1000thb to the price. I just see it's a galaxy s2. I assume it's a i9100. I'm not sure what the model you mention is. As for the "locked to T-mobile", well that is so easily rectified it's a non-issue.

edit:just did a little checking and you are correct about the model number but this model has NFC which the i9100 out here in Thailand don't. So actually it might be a step up. I have not checked to make sure it's quad band 3g which if not would be a deal breaker.

edit 2: it is quad band but not the ones that we need here..http://www.gsmarena....i_t989-4129.php

3G Network

HSDPA 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100

we'd wanna see 900 in that list and can toss the 1700 out. It will still work out here in Thailand but not on all the carriers 3g networks until the 2100 service rolls out.

And actually this one has bigger display and is better phone. Only bummer is the lack of 900 band for 3G. This phone gets 4G speeds vs the ones sold out here.

Edited by Jayman

It will still work out here in Thailand but not on all the carriers 3g networks until the 2100 service rolls out.

Yes, assuming you were happy with the different processor, GPU, weight, unlocking it (warranty issues of course), sales tax - this SGS2 variant would be OK, especially if you use TrueMove H/DTAC here and frequent the U.S. But I think your point was that this Walmart/T-Mo promotion portends lower pricing here, and my point was that I'm not sure that would be the case.

I confess I didn't review all the Walmart and T-Mo terms and conditions.

It will still work out here in Thailand but not on all the carriers 3g networks until the 2100 service rolls out.

Yes, assuming you were happy with the different processor, GPU, weight, unlocking it (warranty issues of course), sales tax - this SGS2 variant would be OK, especially if you use TrueMove H/DTAC here and frequent the U.S. But I think your point was that this Walmart/T-Mo promotion portends lower pricing here, and my point was that I'm not sure that would be the case.

Yes.. this version has faster CPU and better everything. Yes it's a little heavier cause it has NFC as well as bigger display. No contract required to get the deal. I might have someone bring one out here for the missus who can't keep her hands off my gs2

Yes.. this version has faster CPU and better everything. Yes it's a little heavier cause it has NFC as well as bigger display. No contract required to get the deal. I might have someone bring one out here for the missus who can't keep her hands off my gs2

It's not clear to me, just scanning a few threads on XDA, that you can unlock this T-Mo variant unless you get an unlock code from T-Mo. YMMV. Personally I try to stay away from these proprietary variants but let us know how it works out for you.