Law Prohibiting Marriage To Foreigners Over The Age Of 50 Proposed To Thai Cabinet

webfact

"which is not appropriate and often leads to many problems. "

THis is the kind of thought that the people who are running this country have?It should make everyone - not just 50 year old men, extremely worried

PS - I was hoping to marry my G/F when I was fifty - she is a year older than me - sop I guess we'll just live in sin......or in Australia?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I personally think it is disgusting, men over 50 with young <25 year old wives. It makes me feel sick.

Thailand is doing something RIGHT for once.

This may be an April Fools joke, but on the chance that it is not and this is in fact typical Thai government idiocy, where is the outrage about the incredible insult to Thai women that they are incapable of thinking for themselves? Instead they can marry a Thai man who has several wives. Unbelievable.

Yes. Thailand should bring in this law to prohibit older Farangs and other foreigners from marrying very young women .

I have seen some farangs with young wives who could be their grand daughters!.

Laos and Cambodia have enacted these law: why not Thailand.

Only Thai guys have a problem with this, not the Thai women. Thai guys don't like us fishing in their pond.

What a joke! Would it even be legal? Thailand may think they are a law unto themselves, but there are common laws like Human-rights that have to be adhered to.

What they are trying to say is they don't want foreigners taking advantage of the silly little loophole only needing 400k in a bank account, well change that law you idiots, or just forbid a marriage visa to over 50s, either one has more chance than banning the marriage. But while we are on the subject why is it that a single 50+ man needs 800k to survive in Thailand and a married man with spouse (who rarely has a job - but her income counts towards the 400k anyway!) and possibly 1 or 2 kids to support, only needs 400k to survive. That is a bit of a joke, I fall into this category and I'm a bit of a spend thrift (cheap charlie) but I wouldn't survive on the 400k, so another way to deal with the problem is up the income to level that of retires.

I think the issue they are really trying to deal with is one of image, yet marriage to women half the man's age is rife throughout Thailand (Thai on Thai) Try educating the women to have more respect for themselves, stop pushing the class system so that wealthier Thai men will marry below their class, and help poor women to become a better class and get off the poverty line without the need to marry rich (in their eyes) westerners.

The other issue they may be trying to deal with is the fact that the law entitles the husband to half of everything, but if there is no marriage the foreigner has little chance of recovering any of his hard-earned when a partnership goes sour.

Cambodia just passed the sale rule/law and has does the same in the past. So it would not surprise me if it is actually true.

Personally i am kind of split on the opinion.

One one hand its wrong of any government to impose age restrictions on peoples personal life

But on the other hand, i do see the logic.

I do not think anyone in their right mind marries only for the purpose of visa, so i would rule that out as a reason. Only because Thailand is not exactly USA,or other Western countries, being married does not give anything for a foreigner.

Yes perhaps less money to show, but lets be real, when a young girl marries a guy double or tripe her age most of the time its not the love motivator but rather the "support" so it cost the husband much more in support payments for the wife, her family and everyone else who can get a piece of the pie.

Personally besides physical attraction, i do not see how some guys can get married and stay with the girl 1/3 of his age as not only there is not much in common but also the energy levels are so far apart.

I am in mid 30's and can not stay with a girl 18-20, only because they drive me mental with the lack of common sense and a desire to be out all the time. I do not blame them, when i was same age i also had an energy to be out all night, then go to work in the morning and do this for few days straight.

Anyhow, if it is true, hopefully they will make clear regulations of the allowed age difference and consequences for breaching it. Also what happens to already married people.

I was married to three 26 year old women in the West at different times. The first wife was older than I and the next two younger.

I hear what you are saying about the problems in a spring winter relationship.

I found as I got older that the problems got lesser.

As I became able to see the end of my life as a reality my priorities changed.

I am not going to write a great novel or find a cure for cancer.

I am down to guitars that stay tuned and firm feeling women. I am sure there are older firm feeling women around. But by and large there are more firm feeling young women than old women so I put up with the nonsensical conversation and minor foolishness for good sex.

The new law will not have an effect on me because given my priorities the last thing I would want a woman to ingest is wedding cake as everyone knows that is the first and foremost anti sex drug on the market.

Is this a (bad) April Fool's joke?  I just don't see Thailand copying a Cambodian law.  Thai's would never admit to such a thing, they are far too proud.

In any other country, this would be an obvious April Fool joke, but in Thailand, and with the gross stupidity of Thai politicians and their zenophobic attitude.  Who knows?

I always ponder really if lots farangs overly outrage loudly sometimes. These types of rules come and go. I am sure next year we will see another one of these types of regulations. :whistling:

That's a good point. What about the new government due to come to power this year. Are they going to agree with this? It may very well be undone.

I am wondering what my situation would be IF such an absurd law was introduced.

I know there is discussion along these lines in Cambodia.

I have been living as husband and wife with my Thai woman for about 16 years now but we are not officially married.

We own land in her name of course. But I legally own the house and all the stuff in it. Fair split in my mind really. And legal too.

She is 47 and I am 53.

I guess this means we shall never be able to marry in Thailand then?

However we could always do a trip to Australia, my original home, and get married there.

I think that fact that we cannot get married may be as much as a blessing as a curse really come to think of it.

I think that if we wanted to get married I could always just have her declare herself to be a Katoey and apply for a legal change of sex then we could get married, couldn't we?

;-)

:jap: great idea ....... bravo

So does that mean that a foreigner over 50 cannot marry any Thai national regardless of age?

e.g Foreigner 51 and Thai woman 45 cannot get married?

That would seem ridiculous!

Yes it is ridiculous and doesn't this law also go against basic human rights?

Since when, have basic human rights been in practice here?

Yes, lets ban all over 50's men from even visiting Thailand!!

How would you feel about tens of thousands of geriatric Thais coming to your home town each year and making off with your wimmin!

If I can double price them and rip them off like they do here, then I say great.

What if the woman is also over 50...or even 40 something. She will never find a young farang  to marry. I guess she is stuck with old Thai men...but they want younger women. Maybe the farang are taking too many of the old Thais possible girlfriends.  <br><br>Maybe a 20 year age difference so 30 year old Thai could marry a 50 year old. 20 year age difference is acceptable in most countries...45 year old married to a 65 year old...<br><br>Not many men under 50 can afford to retire or move to Thailand. Most of the younger farang I see married to Thais have money problems. The older farang has money from retirement or from selling their home in their country. <br><br>However there is a bright side to this......Been with my gf for 13 years and not really legally married so really not a problem. Now she can't keep asking me about getting married...cool !!! Also, now there will be less farang getting ripped off from Thai ladies. Farang can just play around and not have to buy houses, buy wife cars, take care of Thai kids( from lazy Thai men) etc etc....bang them and leave them when you are tired of them with no commitments, same as Thai men.<br><br>The Thais who are making these decisions have no clue what they are doing and don't really care. The only way it affects them is by limiting the number of farang and poor Thai girl ( family) who has money and are willing to spend it. It puts the rich Thais in a position of power over the poor. Where is it the government's business who you fall in love with and want to marry....crazy f&*k^%$ people !

This may be "April Fools Day" and this Thread may be nothing more then ThaiVisa Admin pulling our leg....

BUT....

The really sad part is that it Rings True... because in this Sick, Discriminatory, Heartless Country, too many other Similar things have happened to justify the feasibility of the Government actually enacting such a Screwed-UP Law or regulation.

And I don't mean the effects only on Farang... But the Negative effects on Thais and the Thai Economy... and The Basic-Human rights of a couple in Love... No matter the Age and Cultural Differences.

CS

Anyone with illegal businesses or land (i say illegal very loosely) should think abut selling up.

The world is starting to divide and it is only a matter of time until they enforce the law and what you have will be taken with no arguements.