BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Law Prohibiting Marriage To Foreigners Over The Age Of 50 Proposed To Thai Cabinet

quick, before they pass this law.

you can easily divorce anytime in the future.

on the second thought, over 50 you can get a retirement visa, no need to marry

:whistling:

Believe me, it is much better to get a retirement visa, than to marry a Thai woman. lol. I am speaking from experience. I am married to a younger, Thai woman and I love her dearly and she loves me, but in retrospect, neither of us would get married again. ;-) We have been together for about 8 or 9 years now and things are great, but my advise, to anyone single....RENT, DON'T BUY! ;-)

In all seriousness though, I think it is a good law and I support it.

If Thailand is going to start implementing laws originally proposed in other nearby nations then surely the 2009 amendment to Burmas Marriage Act that made divorce possible basically on the grounds that one partner had irreversibly let themselves go to seed since entering wedlock would be the best to follow. The Burmese have the right idea, age isnt important, but this amendment makes it possible for wither husband or wife to ditch their couch potato of a partner.

I'm amazed. Must be heat stroke. You're not welcomed farang but your money is.Think I'll stay home and keep my sanity and my money. Oh and my Thai wife of 40 years.

So does that mean that a foreigner over 50 cannot marry any Thai national regardless of age?

e.g Foreigner 51 and Thai woman 45 cannot get married?

That would seem ridiculous!

Yes it is ridiculous and doesn't this law also go against basic human rights?

And is that going to apply to thai nationals over 50 that marry younger thai ladies,teenagers,

It's fine...

It only applies to straight marriages. The sexpats can just marry an eighteen year old boy instead of an eighteen year old girl.

Fifteen bottles of Heineken and they feel the same anyway...

It would take 15 truck loads of whiskey or more before I would stick my jolly roger into a male. I will leave that for the gay community.:D

Anybody look at the date today?

:lol:

Chris

I have so many "farang" friends who were well over fifty when they married their far younger Thai wives. Most of them are happily married. This new law is absurd.

From the last paragraph in the news, it seems this is going to be all ASEAN countries' policies, so for all the geezers, there are more bad news to come in the near future from Vietnam, Philippine,Burma,Indonesia,Malaysia,Singapore...etc.:o

I wouldn't worry about this. The government can't even get a quorum to pass the organic laws for the election.

I'm 54 and my wife is 46. It shouldn't apply to all ages.

Dude..it shouldn't apply period! They can shove their f$%king laws where the sun doesn't shine. I'll marry who I want at what age I want.

Marriage is about 2 people.....

How can they? Nosy...!

Their thinking is indeed close to the Cambodian.

They will be regretted .... soon.....

Passing the law that the majority of its own country are not willin' to support...

Sure the number of Farangs will be drastically reduced.....

I can not agree with this sort of law....... takin' away freedom.... in many aspects