Law Prohibiting Marriage To Foreigners Over The Age Of 50 Proposed To Thai Cabinet

webfact

So glad I came here in my 20's. Would hate to have turned up in my 50's and become all bitter about what the young uns are all enjoying in Thailand, regardless of how they manage to stay here and however they make a living. :D

That's an interesting take on the situation. Reading this thread I found it was the young guys that were spewing all the venom at the old guys.

Young guys, old guys we both pay for it. I thought this bothered the young bucks who think they should be getting a free ride because of their looks.

How about this for a take on the situation. When people are young they, behave irresponsibly, which is all part of the growing up experience.

By the time they reach a certain age however, they have grown up and out of certain behaviour, and have developed a normal grown up sense of decency and self respect. At this age, the thought of being seen with a prostitute, especially with one as a girl firend or wife :o , is quite abhorent.

You then have the group of people whos desire to do what feels good, over powers the desire to do what is normal and befitting, of a grown man their age. Shame on them!

Your take on things seems wrong...to me...on several levels:

Prostitutes are human beings.

If a young person who acted irresponsibly can grow up and develop a sense of decency and self respect, cannot a prostitute do likewise?

I have no statistics, but I am sure there are prostitutes who have become good wives.

Probably as good as the youngster who 'gave it away' at drunken rave parties?

What is 'a normal sense of decency'? Normal to whom? A priest, a Quaker, a teen raver? a father?

What is 'befitting'? who is the arbiter of the fit?

one problem here is that most of the prossies in this country come from the lowest rung of society. maybe they can become reahilitated and a good wife to someone in Sakkon nakhon but with a foreigner - extremely small chance.

it's like a relatively rich Thai going to London and picking a wife from Job Centre queue.

insanity - there should be some warnings a least , if no law

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If a young person who acted irresponsibly can grow up and develop a sense of decency and self respect, cannot a prostitute do likewise?

I have no statistics, but I am sure there are prostitutes who have become good wives.

What is 'a normal sense of decency'? Normal to whom? A priest, a Quaker, a teen raver? a father?

Good post. Nice to hear a different side of things without people getting their knickers in a twist.

When I was a kid, my sister tried relentlessly, to explain why I shouldn't keep a monkey as a pet. 'But I will buy it from someone who keeps it in a small cage and doesn't love it, and put it in a much bigger cage and treat it well' was my answer. When I was a bit older, I understood the point she was making. The monkey can only be for sale if there is people willing to buy it. Take away the desire to keep monkeys in a cage, you take away the desire for people to catch them from the wild and try to sell them.

Yes prostitutes are people, but so are junkies. You wouldn't hand out free smack to a junkie, just because they are people too. They are people, who have taken the easy way out, of what is, often a miserable life. They can only take this road if there is a market for them.

I have nothing against bar girls. They are just fairly normal girls. The reason why they can be so normal and do such a job, is testiment to how 'normal' western men marrying them has become, and there in lies the problem.

Where do you draw the line. Maybe in 30 years, so many men will want sleep with 15 year olds, that slowly but surely it will become accepted, and people will be chatting on a forum about the pros and cons of that!

I stand by what I said. To be able to walk down the road with a prostitute on your arm, shows an abnormal amount of self respect, and pride. How many people would do it in their own country, in front of their peers and family?

As for the point about youngsters giving it away. That's my main point. It's when you are young you can be forgiven for certain behaviour. When you are an adult, you should know better.

A friend living in South Africa emailed to say he had seen it printed as a serious news item in a Cape Town Sunday newspaper.

Can Thai Visa stop the train? The original spoof seems to have bigger wings than the retraction. I wonder if the government will have to issue a denial. 555.

Edited by Arkady

A friend living in South Africa emailed to say he had seen it printed as a serious news item in a Cape Town Sunday newspaper.

Can Thai Visa stop the train? The original spoof seems to have bigger wings than the retraction. I wonder if the government will have to issue a denial. 555.

Sockpuppet says:

Unfortunately, it would be a tremendous loss of face for the government to admit that a humorous web site could think up something that was too daft even for them, and they would be forced to enact the law.

Remember: Sockpuppet warned you....

SC

Good post. Nice to hear a different side of things without people getting their knickers in a twist.

When I was a kid, my sister tried relentlessly, to explain why I shouldn't keep a monkey as a pet. 'But I will buy it from someone who keeps it in a small cage and doesn't love it, and put it in a much bigger cage and treat it well' was my answer. When I was a bit older, I understood the point she was making. The monkey can only be for sale if there is people willing to buy it. Take away the desire to keep monkeys in a cage, you take away the desire for people to catch them from the wild and try to sell them.

Yes prostitutes are people, but so are junkies. You wouldn't hand out free smack to a junkie, just because they are people too. They are people, who have taken the easy way out, of what is, often a miserable life. They can only take this road if there is a market for them.

I have nothing against bar girls. They are just fairly normal girls. The reason why they can be so normal and do such a job, is testiment to how 'normal' western men marrying them has become, and there in lies the problem.

Where do you draw the line. Maybe in 30 years, so many men will want sleep with 15 year olds, that slowly but surely it will become accepted, and people will be chatting on a forum about the pros and cons of that!

I stand by what I said. To be able to walk down the road with a prostitute on your arm, shows an abnormal amount of self respect, and pride. How many people would do it in their own country, in front of their peers and family?

As for the point about youngsters giving it away. That's my main point. It's when you are young you can be forgiven for certain behaviour. When you are an adult, you should know better.

Surely you would hand out free smack to a junkie, in order to stop him stealing and mugging, and stop him passing money to organised criminals?

Another alternative is to lock him up in a prison where he can associate with like-minded people, temporarily come off drugs, perhaps, and learn useful skills such as hotwiring a car, or burglary, before resuming his habit when he is released.

As you say, times change, and now, despite any misgivings you or I might have on the subject, homosexuality and miscegeny are now accepted as tolerable, if not normal. (OK - some people might even accept them as normal!). We have to be wiling to move with the times, or our opinions become as irrelevant as those of dinosaurs.

Personally, I would expect no more from others were I to walk down the road with an unemployed housewife, a bar girl, a brain surgeon, an actress or a serial killer on my arm. Though I can see how in every case my family may take offence...

Perhaps in 30 years, ladies will be willing to walk down the street with bigots on their arms... we may both look forward to that, but until then, I will try to hide my less tolerant opinions

SC

You may wish, in your monkey story, consider the merits of trying to tame a monkey that steals from your rubbish bins. You might want to develop this analogy with bar girls, from the point of view of fidelity, and whether a monkey can be taught not to steal from other people's bins, and then whether there is any difference between people and monkeys. Personally, I am too intellectually lazy to develop such a train of argument. I see how, at a stretch, you could even wind in a comparison between forced prostitution and monkeys in cages.

Will this thread last until next April?

No, it will not, but we are looking forward to serve you another April Fools Prank in 2012.

Watch this space.

So were you caught out by Thaivisa April Fools prank?

Cheers :)