Law Prohibiting Marriage To Foreigners Over The Age Of 50 Proposed To Thai Cabinet

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1st of April?

Is that baloney an april fools joke. I know a chinese man in thailand that has 4 wives . this law would be as rediculous as the illegal gambling law and the law that prohibits prostitution.

should be said by now: "thailand, the hub of law"

Wrong...... it should read "Thailand, the hub of incompetent, ignorant, xenophobic, sexist, manipulative, wanna-be elitist politicians with a bought degree and an indescribably warped and surreal social outlook that could only ever exist in a country that encourages xenophobia and obsessively nationalistic behavior in order to control its populace for fear that they will ever realize how they are being abused and subdued in a class controlled society and would probably start a revolution (or already have)."

Yeah, I know its a mouthful but Im not good at condensing things sorry!:)

Nicely put. I would add that we the people will not accept any such so-called law.

"If these people don't have enough money to retire then they shouldn't be here and become a burden to Thailand"

How is it exactly are those people are burden on Thailand? not like the Thai government support an expat

who runs out of money, or pay him any social security benefits, we expat, young and old alike gets nothing

for free from the Thai government and in fact, i'm one of the 10% of the population that actually pay taxes

in this country, yes, only 10% of the population here in the kingdom pays taxes,

And what? expat under 50 y o don't have problems with money and marriage to Thai ladies? is 50 y o a magic

age?

I live here, and am married to a woman close to my own age. Having said that, I know plenty of older guys married to women a lot younger than they and in some cases it seems to work ok,

While it may not a shining example of a meeting of minds or mutual attraction, it works in a mutually supportive kind of way.

What I don't understand is the older guy (60 plus in a lot of cases) having children. They make various arguments as to why it is not a bad thing, however, at the end of the day you are going to have a child

that is going to be left fatherless at a relatively young age, and that is not fair on the child.

I am married 67 and she 41. I have also taken over as father to her 3 children. We are all so happy, her Thai hubby just left her went with another lady ,so Gob Shit were is a Thai man better, you think it ok for them to leave their children fatherless.

A lot of old falangs give a life to their ladys abandoned children.

What I don't understand is the older guy (60 plus in a lot of cases) having children.

In Asian countries children are an investment - ie old age pension. A friend who had 4 or 5 kids had one more - and 'gave' it to his elder sister, whose marriage prospects were not so great. That kid was seen to be her pension.

Yes. Thailand should bring in this law to prohibit older Farangs and other foreigners from marrying very young women .

I have seen some farangs with young wives who could be their grand daughters!.

Laos and Cambodia have enacted these law: why not Thailand.

Because, the law does not say 'older men and younger women' it says 'foreigners over 50' so, if two people, both of whom are over 50, want to get married, they can't. Therefore it discriminates against those people.

Which is wrong.

Also, if two adult people, of any age, decide that they want to get married, who's business is it other than theirs?

It won't stop very old men having very young girlfriends, it will only stop those women from benefiting from the relationship, because it will have no basis in law, because they will not be allowed to be married, they therefore, will be entitled to nothing if the relationship ends. Currently they would get 50% of assets gained after marriage.

So, not only does this proposed law discriminate against foreigners, it discriminates against Thai people too.

I too, don't particularly like to see very old men with very young women, but it's not my life, it's theirs.

I don't understand why a government would involve themselves in who marries who. If they really think that it's because of the cheaper visa extension, then they should make the visa extension rules the same for anyone over 50, whether for retirement or marriage, rather than try to stop people from getting married.

Anyway, who gets to decide what age gap is acceptable or otherwise? It should be the people themselves that decide, it is, after all, their life.

Yes. Thailand should bring in this law to prohibit older Farangs and other foreigners from marrying very young women .

I have seen some farangs with young wives who could be their grand daughters!.

Laos and Cambodia have enacted these law: why not Thailand.

Yes it may be bothering some people like yourself, but why not introduce a min age difference. It's just plain retarded if 48 y.o. woman can't marry a 51 y.o. man.

And whatever they say about the burden of not having to have an extra 400,000... I will just leave it with no comment

It's fine...

It only applies to straight marriages. The sexpats can just marry an eighteen year old boy instead of an eighteen year old girl.

Fifteen bottles of Heineken and they feel the same anyway...

It would take 15 truck loads of whiskey or more before I would stick my jolly roger into a male. I will leave that for the gay community.:D

but madi gras in Sydney is amazingly fun....

Now all the dating websites will have to add a warning to all the panthers 50 and over that they can

play, fornicate and have a flings but it is prohibited by law to marry them..LOL...