Law Prohibiting Marriage To Foreigners Over The Age Of 50 Proposed To Thai Cabinet

webfact

I do find it strange that I know so many intelligent Thais, yet so few of the intelligent Thais seem to make a career of politics. They leave politics to the mentally challenged and laws such as this come about as a result.

It is a fact that there are at any given time 40,000 to 60,000 young Thai women advertizing their availability for marriage to Western men on the various Internet websites for couples to meeting on. Most of the profiles of these women read that they are seeking an older man, some even type in Western man over the age of 50 or even 60. So I do not think it is proper to call these ladies innocent victims, they know what they want and they actively seek the older man.

Now speaking of victims, almost all of the women who meet an older man on-line through these sites convince the man to come to Thailand to meet them. Once the new law is in place this could reverse because the women who do seek to be married will know they can’t do it in Thailand. The result will be thousands of men who would have come to Thailand, spending an average of 100,000 baht each will not be coming here to bless Thailand with their money. Loss to the Thai economy would be in the billions of baht each year. Another loss will be to the Thai banking system where tens of thousands of Western men currently keep their 400,00 baht.

Next; young Thai women would be compelled to make an overseas trip to meet their beloved man because they can’t be married here. Keep in mind that currently the man comes to Thailand and if that man turns out to be less than advertised or some sort of an abuser, the woman can walk away. But if she has been forced by her governments silly laws to take the risk of meeting a stranger overseas, the opportunity for walking away if very limited and the opportunity for unscrupulous men in foreign countries to force these ladies into something bad such as sex slavery or worse will be greatly increased.

Yes, it is sad that Thai women seem to want the older Western men for husbands but sadder still that the government wants to blunder in to legislation a law that will put these women at an even greater risk.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can they not think of any thing themselves for a change? They are lucky their great friend Cambodia is there to give them ideas.

Copy cats.

Big deal, as stated before at 50 you can get a retirement visa or just slip over a boarder and get married. Or will they not recognize marriages from a different country. Another all inspiring idea from the intellects that run this country.

Intellects ???:cheesy::blink:

I bet if you was over 50 and had lived with a T/G for over a year - then separated - would the divorced laws not recognize the defacto relationship and not give the T/G her 50%

Some how I doubt it!!!:boring::realangry:

The stupidity of the Thai never ceases to amaze me. What chance could a law like this ever be enacted in a western democracy?

I think we all know the answer is zero. The immaturity of the political process and the people who run it are on display here.

They see a problem and without thinking about the ramifications of the proposed law, they put it up to parliament.

This law will create far more problems than it will solve.

Where are the calm minds of reason?

Where are the astute political advisors?

Where is the public debate and consultation?

This is cheap populist politics at the lowest level, farang bashing.

What hope for Thailand?

Here is my question.

Where is this story sourced from??? Seems the only source on the internet is Thai Visa.

What day is it today????

I was just thinking the same. There is a 50% chance that it is an April fools joke but because the Thai government is used to make stupid racist laws it could be real, too!

The word for today is, gullible.

For these TV posters, I think that work applies every day.

You gotta wonder why they hate Thailand so much, and now I know. Fall for anything.

Gawd knows how they made it through life. I really dispair that people can be so stupid.

Agreed . . . gullible, stupid, resentful etc etc

Tell me the ratio of Thais vs. Farang over the age of 50 with less than 400,000 in the bank?

You are either very naive or don't know many Thais. Every Thai I know around the age of 50 has a hell of a lot more than a measly 400,000 Baht saved up in the bank.

I knew that the Thai politicians are stupid but that they are so stupid I never imagined........

they are not stupid ............... Selfish is what we should say...

clearly the law is for themselves....

doesn't reflect the voices of the majority ...

somehow I don't think that it will be the Thai politicians who will be proven stupid in this case....

Just call it intuition.

I have to agree with you there will be a lot of egg on a lot faces by the end of the day.

Not that much different from other days then.

25 year old girls marrying 55 year old foreign men for financial security looks bad for the face of the nation, I agree, but it speaks volumes about the nation itself -- what an appalling job the rich and powerful have done to help the vast number of less fortunate.

Does the gov't have a social welfare plan ready to take care of all of those girls and their children? As it stands now the social safety net for many families is a daughter working in Pattaya. It is the core, systemic failure of the entire society itself that causes this.

As well, how many young mistresses do these holier-than-thou old men lawmakers have?

In all, typical hypocrisy and ethnic arrogance. Reminded of a quote written about the Chinese (by a famed Chinese writer) who are sure they are so great -- "A small vessel is easily filled".

According to a Ministry spokesperson, statistics show that many older foreigners are marrying much younger Thai women, which is not appropriate and often leads to many problems.

I think the problems they mention is that the Thai lady will kick the husband out of the house once it is in her name...... maybe this law is to help farangs. :whistling:

Very amusing, for the Thai government (yes, he is a minster, so a representitive of the government) referring to foreigners with less than 400,000 baht as a "burden" on Thai society. Tell me the ratio of Thais vs. Farang over the age of 50 with less than 400,000 in the bank?

This, if passed will be a huge economic blow for Thailand - a large percentage of Farang business owners in Thailand are 45+, and many buy those businesses and run it with their partner. Many own land with their partners. Most of these girls are not rich when they meet the "old burden" Farang. Infact, sadly most of these girls meet their Farang in the go go bars. Who was it that was the burden again?

I have never said this before, but this move really does look discriminatory against non-Thai nationals, and will be a huge blow both to the future development, educational and economic growth to Thailand if passed. Maybe Thailands politicians needs to learn when passing law, that you have the power to make the decisions but with that power you must execute vision, or your power is worthless and often destructive rather than constructive.

Spot on!

I would add to that Xenophobia and Hypocrisy.

As if... Oh, never mind! These folks are eager to show that they "care" instead of setting their priorities right and do actual and productive work.

Is he making merit?

"I am concerned that these people are attempting to circumvent the rules by marrying innocent Thai women."

"Innocent" like in "I used to work in this redlight district bar and frequently went with patrons to have sex with them in exchange for money. Now I have hooked that old fool and I am going to milk him for every cent he's worth"?

Rather Orwellian to use a sliding scale to work out the suitability of human relationships don't you think?

Maybe a sliding scale would have been a better idea...

i.e at 50 you can only marry someone over 35

at 51 - 36

at 52 - 37

etc etc...

Never the less, this is a positive move by Thailand's government.

I think you'd do rather well in an Orwellian society. Easily led.

The word for today is, gullible.

For these TV posters, I think that work applies every day.

You gotta wonder why they hate Thailand so much, and now I know. Fall for anything.

Gawd knows how they made it through life. I really dispair that people can be so stupid.

Agreed . . . gullible, stupid, resentful etc etc

i have to go out now to get married fast

enjoy the ongoing debate, i know i have really enjoyed reading some of your passionate views on this subject..............

I think this makes sense. But they should have an amnesty on these marriages, call it "Old Farrang, Young Thai Marriage Day", or whatever, on the anniversary of the announcement (i.e. today) each year. Could be fun,and a good way to get a big boost of extra tourist arrivals just as the high season is ending.

Best news I've heard all year. This relieves a tremendous amount of pressure, real and or imagined. Thank you to the slow witted Thai minister who thinks emulating Cambodia is a good idea.

The downside of the announcement is that the change probably will never happen. It is just another motor mouthed government official spouting off as required every month or two which makes him or her seem relevant. He has no idea the problems he would unleash nor does he care. This seems like just another ill conceived idea born in a high-end massage parlor after a happy ending and a bottle of whiskey.

Thailand! Burma with Electricity!

Oh Farang Farang won't you marry me with your savings a tidy sum?

Oh no sweet maid I cannot marry you as I have no land to live on.

So off she went to the family chest and got a Chanote of the very very best.

and a lease for the Farang to take it on.

Oh Farang Farang won't you marry me with your assets a tidy sum,

Oh no sweet maid I cannot marry you,

As the government says it's not on.

So off she went to the forgers chest and brought him a passport of the very very best.

and the Farang took it on.

Oh Farang Farang won't you marry me with your pension a tidy sum.

Oh no sweet maid I cannot marry you as 50 has passed and gone.

So off she went to an immigration mate who kindly obliged and altered the date.

and the Farang took it on.

Oh Farang Farang won't you marry me with your cash as a tidy sum?

Oh no sweet maid I cannot marry you as I have 5 wives of my own.

The stupidity of the Thai never ceases to amaze me. What chance could a law like this ever be enacted in a western democracy?

I think we all know the answer is zero. The immaturity of the political process and the people who run it are on display here.

They see a problem and without thinking about the ramifications of the proposed law, they put it up to parliament.

This law will create far more problems than it will solve.

Where are the calm minds of reason?

Where are the astute political advisors?

Where is the public debate and consultation?

This is cheap populist politics at the lowest level, farang bashing.

What hope for Thailand?

The stupidity of TV posters never ceases to amaze me either....

This is no big deal. There is no need to marry, and it will bring a sigh of relief from many who are being pressured by their GF and her family. What is not mentioned in the article that the proposal also includes a restriction on inheritance. Any clause in the Will of foreigner which favours a Thai national will be become null and void. And this IS retro-active. This will cause some consternation, and possibly protests which will overshadow anything the red shirts have managed.

Can you explain that further ? I have never heard of this proposal.

You could be right there, I was thinking of marrying my Gf 31 I am 55, luckily my GF is not bothered about getting married and there has never been any pressure from her family or her in the past, so this does not realy affect me.