A Look At The Kalama Sutta

fabianfred

• 4 weeks later...

I cannot agree with Bhikku Boddhi. His Pali translation is bias. Adjan Thanissaro (the other translator of the Pali Can) points is out.

Bhikku Bodhi disagree with the explanation of the Kalama Sutta of Tan Buddhadasa. He attacks P.A .Payuttho for misunderstanding the words of the Buddha..

\

I think it's difficult to judge a Pali translation unless your knowledge of Pali is on par with those you are criticising.

At any rate, the text referenced in the link is not a translation. It's an essay about the sutta, and offers one monk's interpretation.

Bhikkhu Bodhi was president of the Buddhist Publication Society for many years, and translated many sutta for the Pali Text Society.

Eminent monks like Bodhi and Thanissario are bound to disagree on some topics and points of translation, but I'm sure they enjoy a mutual respect.

I think it's difficult to judge a Pali translation unless your knowledge of Pali is on par with those you are criticising.

At any rate, the text referenced in the link is not a translation. It's an essay about the sutta, and offers one monk's interpretation.

Bhikkhu Bodhi was president of the Buddhist Publication Society for many years, and translated many sutta for the Pali Text Society.

Eminent monks like Bodhi and Thanissario are bound to disagree on some topics and points of translation, but I'm sure they enjoy a mutual respect.

My knowledge of Pali is low, but I am linguist. My student in Germany, Dr, Martin Seeger, PHD at the University

of Hamburg with Prof. Lambert Schmitthausen (top ten in the world for Pali) visited me three weeks ago in Thailand. He gave me insider information why Adjan Sumedho retired and came back to Thailand.

We spoke about the attacks of Bhikku Boddhi against P.A.Payutto and the Kalamasutta interpretation of Tan Buddhadasa.

I never would discriminate the work of Bhikku Bodhi, but where he his wrong I can say it in my vision: Kalamasutta. (Explanation in the spirit of Tan Buddhadasa)

My knowledge of Pali is low, but I am linguist. My student in Germany, Dr, Martin Seeger, PHD at the University

of Hamburg with Prof. Lambert Schmitthausen (top ten in the world for Pali) visited me three weeks ago in Thailand. He gave me insider information why Adjan Sumedho retired and came back to Thailand.

We spoke about the attacks of Bhikku Boddhi against P.A.Payutto and the Kalamasutta interpretation of Tan Buddhadasa.

I never would discriminate the work of Bhikku Bodhi, but where he his wrong I can say it in my vision: Kalamasutta. (Explanation in the spirit of Tan Buddhadasa)

If he is wrong, then, would following his deviation affect a followers path?

What was the specific deviation from the correct interpretation?

If he is wrong, then, would following his deviation affect a followers path?

What was the specific deviation from the correct interpretation?

There is no specific deviation, there is no 100% correct interpretation.

We had the discussion about faith and belief in the forum.

Bhikku Bodhi is on the side of belief, one basic of religion. I don't reject.

But what I cannot accept (Dr. Martin too) that Bhikku Boddhi rejects some part of the work of.P.A. Payutto in the same way a lot of Thai high ranked Sangha Monks did.

"No belief, no meditation experience with acquisition of superhuman powers, you are only an academic one."

But in the Pali Canon the Buddha taught about the 4 ways for awakening> one is the study of history, languages books, scriptures, tradtions, analysis and so on. P.A.Payutto is the best, his Pali/English dictionary is wordwide standard. Ckeck it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayudh_Payutto

Actually he is sick. When Dr. Martin saw him in a good hospital in Bangkok, his first word was> What about our daughter. (He gave the name to the daughter of Dr.Martin.)

For thai readers.

http://www.watnyanaves.net/th/book_detail/565