Massive Complex Nne Of Bkk Airport?

lomatopo

Yesterday on the final approach into BKK (runway 21L so approaching BKK from the NE) I noticed a huge complex and was wondering what it is. It is 18 Km NNE of BKK (lat. 14.07, lon. 100.65 for Google Earth users) and the nearest label on Google Earth is "Khlong Luang". The complex looks to be one massive building, then a huge square with a central object and 4 spires at the corners, and then a circular garden, all aligned on a north-south axis. What is this?

Yesterday on the final approach into BKK (runway 21L so approaching BKK from the NE) I noticed a huge complex and was wondering what it is. It is 18 Km NNE of BKK (lat. 14.07, lon. 100.65 for Google Earth users) and the nearest label on Google Earth is "Khlong Luang". The complex looks to be one massive building, then a huge square with a central object and 4 spires at the corners, and then a circular garden, all aligned on a north-south axis. What is this?

Could this be Thammasat University Rangsit campus? Where they held Asian games 6 - 7 years ago... Did you see this through right hand side window?

Edited by Nordlys

Did you see this through right hand side window?

Yes, seat 1K on LH 772 from MUC, we made our final turn to line up for 21L nearly over this complex. North-south this complex measures 2.85 Km.

I did notice this one other time on a early morning TG arrival, from FRA, and I asked the FA, as she was heading for her jump-seat, about it. She said "wat", but it does not look like a temple. Maybe she was saying "what"? :o

Edited by lomatopo

Yes, seat 1K on LH 772 from MUC, we made our final turn to line up for 21L nearly over this complex. North-south this complex measures 2.85 Km.

Hmmmm.... I can't think of any other massive structure in Khlong Luang area.... Did you say it is one massive structure? Or did it look like a complex of buildings, sports arenas and stadiums? Or it could be the big truck depot terminal on eastern ring road but I don't think it is in the direction of NNE of the airport... Being a Mac user I can't see google earth.... Maybe if you can paste the image here I can identify what it is.

BTW you can tell the runway # where your plane is landing as a passenger?? :o

I usually fly UA, and they normally offer "channel 9" which is ATC (great fun listening over Vietnam, and approach in BKK). Hence I'm familiar with the runways, but I did double-check at the BKK website, and of course I knew it was the left runway because we had to "play through the golf course".

I've tried to attach an image from Google Earth.

edite: BTW that Goolge Earth image is older as that middle complex is now uniformly light brown in color and there are what look to be gardens north of that "sqaure".

post-9615-1127556730_thumb.jpg

Edited by lomatopo