First Trip To Thailand, Have A Few Days To Fish

WallyHotvedt

Hi all, just wanted to introduce myself and see about learning more for my upcoming trip into Thailand arriving 4/13/11. I'm an avid angler from Northern California, fish many large mouth bass tournaments on the California Delta - considered to be one of the top 5 LMB fisheries in the world. I love to throw topwater lures like poppers and buzzbaits. In the spring and fall I toss spinners for trout. I'll be traveling into Thailand empty handed as far as rod/reel, and will need to be able to rent any needed gear while in country. I have a 3600 sized box full of large topwater plugs that I thought I'd bring with me with poppers, spooks, and buzzbaits. I'm in for a business conference so some days will be working, others playing. I'm excited about what I've read so far. I've seen the john-tom site and have destinations mapped out in google earth. Transportation is my current unknown, not exactly sure how I can get to a few of these places. Currently on my list is Bor Num, Beungsamran, and Pilot 111.

If anybody has any suggestions on how to have a good time and get a hook into a few mouths I'm all ears, hope to see some of you out there.

I doubt you can do much of your kind of fishing in Bungsamran. I don't say dont go there because its an nice experience for most. But you wont catch predator fish there. (unless you pay a lot for an airipaima but they dont take lures easy your life baiting then). You did not tell me if you were going to stay in BKK or traveling around the country, up north at the dams and lakes you can find the kind of fishing you like (up north as in Kanchanaburi and so on)

...as for getting to these places, get the names of the places in Thai. Written down would be best. Even the street/road name.

Show it to a taxi driver and they will take you. Most understand 'fishing park' if you say thats what you are looking for.

You could print out a map of the area (with Thai names on).

Always use meter taxi's. If they quote you a price it may seem cheap by western standards. It's usually a lot more than the meter. Wait 20 seconds for the next taxi to come along.

Favourite place to be hit with these high quotes used to be just before walking out of the airport.

Good luck