BANGKOK
SausageKing

Best Rib Eye Steak I Have Ever Had In Chiang Mai

Thanks for the post about butcher at Ponyang Kham (Chiangmai)! I've wanted to find a good place to buy Rib-eye since I moved to Chiang Mai and have had horrible luck...until now 🙂

The narrative directions provided by previous poster were good but far easier if you use Google Maps which can auto-navigate you to the place by motorbike/car/Grab, or by foot.  You can also see pictures of the restaurant and shop, see reviews, etc. 

It's within easy walking distance of Niemann BTW.  15 minutes from Maya Mall by foot or 7 minutes by scooter.

The google maps web link is  https://goo.gl/maps/MTkhPSZwrARVyRUP8

BTW, the restaurant opens at 3pm and can deliver by foodpanda - 

https://www.foodpanda.co.th/restaurant/f6qk/ponyang-kham-chiangmai-

Edited by WaveHunter

Best Rib eye I have had here bought at Makro and prepared and served by er indoors.

Usually have a coupe in the freezer for whenever the urge takes me. 😎

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

Thanks for the post about butcher at Ponyang Kham (Chiangmai)! I've wanted to find a good place to buy Rib-eye since I moved to Chiang Mai and have had horrible luck...until now

Worth noting that you have resurrected a decade-old thread.

There is a chance that the information may no longer be correct, or that the recommendation may no longer apply.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2011 at 2:11 PM, Asmerom said:

QUOTE : KILT Feb 2011: This Forum

"For anyone looking for T-Bones or any other cut to cook themselves, I highly recommend the Thai/French butcher shop located on Irrigation Canal Road about 100 meters south of the Pu Come hotel - part of a restaurant called "Pon Yang Kham".

Very high quality beef and very good butchers on site. They will cut to order. You name the thickness. I love their Ribeye. Never frozen.

They supply many high end restaurants and hotels in town but are happy to cut just one steak."

Can you please re-post that in a little smaller font?  🙂

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:
On 4/3/2011 at 2:11 PM, Asmerom said:

QUOTE : KILT Feb 2011: This Forum

"For anyone looking for T-Bones or any other cut to cook themselves, I highly recommend the Thai/French butcher shop located on Irrigation Canal Road about 100 meters south of the Pu Come hotel - part of a restaurant called "Pon Yang Kham".

Very high quality beef and very good butchers on site. They will cut to order. You name the thickness. I love their Ribeye. Never frozen.

They supply many high end restaurants and hotels in town but are happy to cut just one steak."

Can you please re-post that in a little smaller font?  🙂

Well, It may have shrunk a little as it's a original quote from 2011, or you've gotten fatter in your older age and can't get as close to the screen as before  🤔

/I really miss eating good steak

//the expensive cuts I've bought here I swear must be pre-printed cardboard

Thanks for posting this!

My favorite is a NY strip, but rib eye come pretty close.

This is certainly cheaper than a certain popular restaurant (which I enjoy) that must not be named (!)

Would you mind commenting on the social distancing situation?

I fear this is not US beef...... For some reason, Aussie beef tasts strange to this Yank -- and NewZealand beef in unedible.........

So, any chance this is US beef?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, JimGant said:

I fear this is not US beef...... For some reason, Aussie beef tasts strange to this Yank -- and NewZealand beef in unedible.........

Doubtful. There was a 14 year ban on raw bone-in US beef imports. Not easy to re-establish distribution and retail channels.

US beef is back, talks continue on US pork access
nationthailand | Econ | Nov 17. 2017

"Thailand had banned import of US beef for 14 years."

Thailand: U.S. Beef Sales Boost in Thailand
fas.usda.gov | May 8, 2018 

List of countries that import animal and animal product into Thailand
en.dld.go.th | Waritsara Paisan  Imports & Exports  27 February 2018

17 hours ago, Brightly said:

Thanks for posting this!

My favorite is a NY strip, but rib eye come pretty close.

This is certainly cheaper than a certain popular restaurant (which I enjoy) that must not be named (!)

Would you mind commenting on the social distancing situation?

It's  cheaper because it is the 2011 price quoted. 😄   

Seems you had a Marty McFly moment.

10 hours ago, JimGant said:

Special covid marinade to first 100 orders...aka Trump steaks

15 hours ago, JimGant said:

Yank here....

I don't mind either the AUS beef or the NZ and think the NZ is better. I generally marinate any steak I grille for about 15-20 minutes in Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper.

I did buy some Argentina beef a few months back. First time I ever had their beef and I have to say it was better than any beef I've ever had.

So you folks can really talk about the quality of beef just by identifying the country it comes from?

Try that with Thailand and what do you get?  The stringy tough old buffalo or the Thai French?  Both Thai.

The OP SausageKing makes great sausages especially the Indian ones