Seeking Advice On House

stateman

i am thinking about buying a house in chiangmai, probably through a company ownership. does anyone has any experience and feedback to offer?

as the RE folks like to say: it is location, location,location. so which locations are good? i was considering sankampaeng, doisaket or sansai districts, with a price range of B2.5-4m. prefer a gated community with guard and established expats.

the 2 big floods recently caused some concerns. is there any area which is less flood-prone? any moo-baan to avoid (flood, quality, safety, others)?

i gather that houses close to the ping river banks are susceptible to flood. probably this is true with proximity to other rivers, such as Guang river. but then it seems that so many areas were under water, regardless of proximity to rivers.

is there any information on geographical elevations (i.e. higher grounds)?

is getting flooded a major traumatic event?

appreciate any helpful pointers. :o

I would go up and have a good look round. Ask local expats too. Yes, flooding is horrible. My home was flooded three times and it is not nice. Certainly not something you want to happen.

Many areas in Chiang Mai did not get flooded. I have a friend in Doi Saket and he was okay. But they did have a lot of rain. Howver maybe it depnded on the part of Doi Saket.

You can buy something for the price you are talking of. My best advice is to research it well before you jump into anything.

As for buying in a company name. A good lawyer can do that for you. I would not buy anything without a lawyers advice. He can do all the checks on the land title deeds etc. Best land title deed is called a Chanot. Good luck with it all.

I live in a secure Moo Ban near the end part of the runway, (not much noise to be honest) There was no flooding whatsover anywhere near my Moo Ban.

I think it is now very important to consider where you live now in CM as a result of the recent floodings as it would be crazy to buy somewhere that is prone to flooding.

It would be a good idea to look at the developments on Highway 121 north east of downtown. The third ring road as some would call it. The new falang supermarket, Rim Ping is building out that way and those developments seem very nice. Certainly no flooding out there.

With the cost of gasoline a consideration, you might make a list of where you will be going the most and look a lot nearer there.

With Chaing Mai billed as the northern transportation hub for China in the future, I would stay away from anything near the airport.

I am a sports freak so the 700 year sport complex was my apex from which I measured all distances to my my ideal spot. After three years, I am still very happy with my location. Of course, the new Rim Ping Market will halve my commuting distance to the supermarket.

I live in a secure Moo Ban near the end part of the runway, (not much noise to be honest) There was no flooding whatsover anywhere near my Moo Ban.

I think it is now very important to consider where you live now in CM as a result of the recent floodings as it would be crazy to buy somewhere that is prone to flooding.

I am glad to hear that your moo ban is ok even for the 40year flood. The ground apparently is fairly high.

I presume that your moo ban is near the north end of the runway, around the Regional Post Office HQ and Suthep Rd. (Hwy 1005)? If so, that would make sense, as I read that the PM went to CM for the flood inspection and landed at the nearby Royal Thai Airforce Unit 41, which implied that the airport was not flooded. I am trying to take note on what area having high ground and what areas got flooded.

I understand that south of the airport, along the road from city toward Hangdong get much water.

Also how about the CMU and Suan Doc area nearby?

Then, how was the houses along the irrigation canal (Klong Cholpratan), and the canal itself? I take it that the canal itself overflowed the banks with houses adjacent to the banks got flooded, but ok for houses further away?

Thanks you for your reply.

It would be a good idea to look at the developments on Highway 121 north east of downtown.  The third ring road as some would call it.  The new falang supermarket, Rim Ping is building out that way and those developments seem very nice.  Certainly no flooding out there.

With the cost of gasoline a consideration, you might make a list of where you will be going the most and look a lot nearer there.

With Chaing Mai billed as the northern transportation hub for China in the future, I would stay away from anything near the airport.

I am a sports freak so the 700 year sport complex was my apex from which I measured all distances to my my ideal spot.  After three years, I am still very happy with my location.  Of course, the new Rim Ping Market will halve my commuting distance to the supermarket.

Great information to have. I certainly will look into that. You mentioned northeast of downtown. Does this mean along Chiangmai-Doisaket Hwy 1019, and the intersection at the outer ring road (Hwyt 121) in Doisaket? As for flooding, is it correct to say that as one travels out of downtown, toward doisaket, the ground gets higher, and thus less prone to flooding?

I am curious to know about the developments and some general information. Is the area around the outer ring road fairly well builtup now, with many developments? I guess it is not considered far-out (from shoppings, etc.) anymore? What is your opintion of the area, compared to Sansai and Sankampaeng; in term of desirability, future growth and value?

Besides RimPing, are there many other shops and necessities there, or to be there soon? It seems logical to expect that more big stores, like BigC may consider new store locations there in the future.

If I read you last paragraph correctly, you live roughly double the distance from the 700 year sport complex to the new RimPing supermarket. This would imply about 45minutes drive from the complex? Is getting broadband, phone, cableTV, etc. hard to get? Are they generally available out to the developments around the outer ring road area or where you live now? If available, what wait time and approximate costs?

Although the gas price is high, I don’t expect to do too much driving. I will accept driving to the city as a necessity, and will bite the bullet on that.

Someone told me that there is a new airport near Lamphun. I seems to be south of Sarapee or Sankampaeng. Is that a future project which may be years away? Maybe in the PM’s plan to make it an air hub for the region?

Thank you.

It would be a good idea to look at the developments on Highway 121 north east of downtown.  The third ring road as some would call it.  The new falang supermarket, Rim Ping is building out that way and those developments seem very nice.  Certainly no flooding out there.

I am a sports freak so the 700 year sport complex was my apex from which I measured all distances to my my ideal spot.  After three years, I am still very happy with my location.  Of course, the new Rim Ping Market will halve my commuting distance to the supermarket.

Great information to have. I certainly will look into that. You mentioned northeast of downtown. Does this mean along Chiangmai-Doisaket Hwy 1019, and the intersection at the outer ring road (Hwyt 121) in Doisaket? As for flooding, is it correct to say that as one travels out of downtown, toward doisaket, the ground gets higher, and thus less prone to flooding?

I am curious to know about the developments and some general information. Is the area around the outer ring road fairly well builtup now, with many developments? I guess it is not considered far-out (from shoppings, etc.) anymore? What is your opintion of the area, compared to Sansai and Sankampaeng; in term of desirability, future growth and value?

Besides RimPing, are there many other shops and necessities there, or to be there soon? It seems logical to expect that more big stores, like BigC may consider new store locations there in the future.

If I read you last paragraph correctly, you live roughly double the distance from the 700 year sport complex to the new RimPing supermarket. This would imply about 45minutes drive from the complex? Is getting broadband, phone, cableTV, etc. hard to get? Are they generally available out to the developments around the outer ring road area or where you live now? If available, what wait time and approximate costs?

Although the gas price is high, I don’t expect to do too much driving. I will accept driving to the city as a necessity, and will bite the bullet on that.

Someone told me that there is a new airport near Lamphun. I seems to be south of Sarapee or Sankampaeng. Is that a future project which may be years away? Maybe in the PM’s plan to make it an air hub for the region?

Thank you.

BTW I am a bit confused when I read from different sources. From downtown, taking KaewNawarat Rd. toward Doisaket, one map says the road becomes Hwy 118. Another says it becomes Hwy 1019. Is one an obsolete Hwy no., or an error?