Car bomb kills policeman in Northern Ireland

News_Editor

Car bomb kills policeman in Northern Ireland

2011-04-03 21:11:09 GMT+7 (ICT)

OMAGH, NORTHERN IRELAND (BNO NEWS) -- A policeman was killed on Saturday afternoon when a car bomb exploded outside his home in the Northern Ireland town of Omagh, officials said. The act was immediately condemned by the international community.

No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, but officials believe it were Dissident Republicans opposed to the peace process who carried out the bombing. The victim was identified as 25-year-old Constable Ronan Kerr.

"I am deeply shocked and saddened by the callous murder of a young PSNI constable in Omagh," Irish President Mary McAleese said in a statement released by her office. "This heinous crime will not succeed in its evil intent of destroying the peaceful and democratic future to which the people of Northern Ireland are so clearly committed."

Irish Taoiseach (Prime Minister) Enda Kenny also condemned the "horrific" bomb attack. "This was a heinous and pointless act of terror. Those who carried it out want to drag us back to the misery and pain of the past. They are acting in defiance of the Irish people. They must know that they can never succeed in defeating the democratic will of the people," Kenny said.

Meanwhile, Justice Minister Alan Shatter said the people of Omagh have "already suffered hugely" at the hands of "cold-blooded killers." He said the attack is a reminder that criminals remain who have the intend to destroy the lives of those around them.

"However evil their motivation or brutal their tactics they will not succeed in defeating the will of the Irish people. For my part, I pledge again, in honor of the memory of the latest young victim, that nothing will remain undone in the fight against this evil," Shatter said.

In the United States, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the U.S. government strongly condemns the murder of the police officer. "The perpetrators of this cowardly act represent the failures of the past, and their actions run counter to the achievements, aspirations, and collective will of the people of Northern Ireland. Our thoughts are with the family and loved ones of this young man who lost his life because of his decision to serve the entire community. We echo the unequivocal condemnations by Northern Ireland's politicians and call on anyone with information to cooperate fully and expediently with the Police Service of Northern Ireland," Clinton said.

European Parliament President Jerzy Buzek also condemned the attack, calling it pointless and despicable. "I remain convinced that the people of Northern Ireland do not wish to see a return to its violent past, but are committed to its peaceful and democratic future," he said. "On behalf of the European Parliament, I send my condolences to the family and friends of police officer Ronan Kerr."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-04-03