Wine Making Supplies

turnpike

I live in the Khon Kaen area and was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere in Thailand where I could aquire some basic wine making gear i.e., yeasts, carboys (large (25-30 liter) clear glass bottles that you can put a stopper in on top), sterilizers, primary fermenters ( basically a large garbage can with a snap on lid made from food grade plastic ), corks, corking machine, etc. I don't require the wine making kits or grape juice as I plan to make wine from fruit.

I'm aware you need a permit to make wine in Thailand.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

I can't help you with finding your stuff but your post reminded me of a story I once heard. During prohibition in the US (all alcohol was illegal during that period) a company made a brick of dried fruit material, sugar, and yeast. It contained a warning on the label that said something like this: "Caution!!! do not place this brick in a 5 gallong container and add water until full and then wait because you may produce wine which is an alcoholic beverage and is illegal."

I can't help you with finding your stuff but your post reminded me of a story I once heard.  During prohibition in the US (all alcohol was illegal during that period) a company made a brick of dried fruit material, sugar, and yeast.  It contained a warning on the label that said something like this: "Caution!!! do not place this brick in a 5 gallong container and add water until full and then wait because you may produce wine which is an alcoholic beverage and is illegal."

I can't think of a better example of why it's good to "read the directions"

Any large supermarket will carry yeast for bread making which is just as good for wine making.

For your carbouys you can use the large plastic water containers used for the drinks dispensers at most offices and shops - the plastic lid needs some adapting but it's easily done. I was lucky with these as my brother in law's business was supplying them so I got them free.

Your fermentation barrel is easily obtained from the local market.

Never did find a corker but I used 1ltr screw top coke bottles for the finished product and even if I do say so myself - the orange and tea wine turned out a treat!

Can anyone tell me if and why you can make wine but not beer legally.

There are plenty of ways to get the canned hop and barley extract into Thailand but if you can get deported for brewing beer I wouldn`t try it. Trouble is I love to brew beer ( and drink it )

What are the laws?

By the way, if you want good wine ( or beer ) the yeast is really important. Bread yeast just does`nt do it for me. Get someone to send you good dried brewers yeast.

All the best.

Only been searched once in 25 years so the chances are remote and 'dried brewers yeast' would probably not get picked up at customs but there is only one reason for having brewers yeast in your suitcase.

Bread yeast will give you the required effect and is available in country. Maybe not up to a perfectionists standard but it still converts the sugar to alcohol and still leaves a nice 'fruity' taste.

Only been searched once in 25 years so the chances are remote and 'dried brewers yeast' would probably not get picked up at customs but there is only one reason for having brewers yeast in your suitcase.

Bread yeast will give you the required effect and is available in country. Maybe not up to a perfectionists standard but it still converts the sugar to alcohol and still leaves a nice 'fruity' taste.

Thanks for that but you havent told me why you can brew wine and not beer. I am not really a perfectionist, I only brew beer using extract and dried yeast from a can that is available almost everywhere here. I can get " brew kits " from many breweries around the world at the local home brew shop,and most of them are very good. When I was young my friends father used to brew using bread yeast because that was all that was available ( I suppose the same as Thailand now ) but it allways tasted like home brew if you know what I mean.

What are the laws on this? Why wine and not beer?

All the best.

You can't legally produce any form of alcohol in the Kingdom without a license.

Can a thai get a license easy for home brew? is it cheep? how do you get it?

Anyone?

Sounds like a great idea, get the wife to make red wine.

Red wine is better than beer for me . love it.

Have a nice day

:o

WELL--------- Does anybody know????????

I guess this person just about covers it -

“It is illegal to home-brew alcohol, whether fermented or distilled liquor, for either personal consumption or sale.

Section 5 of the Liquors Act (1950) states that it is illegal for anyone to brew their own alcohol, or even to have the equipment to do so.

The maximum penalty for contravention of this section of the Act is six months in jail, or a fine of 5,000 baht, or both.

If the offender sells the liquor, the maximum penalty rises to a year in jail or a 10,000 baht fine, or both.

Those are the maximum penalties and can be imposed for making and/or selling distilled alcohol (spirits).

The maximum penalties for brewing or fermenting alcohol – wine or beer, for example – are lower: 200 baht for making it and 5,000 baht for selling it.

People who want to produce home-brew liquors legally must apply to the Phuket Excise Office for a licence. ”

Friday, March 4, 2005 Payoon Poolsuwan, of Phuket Excise Office.

No idea of the cost or ease in getting a license but you can bet your life it would not be a doddle and the excise office will be looking for some duty payable.

Never had a license but then again my houses have never been raided by the police or excise people - maybe a quick phone call to your local office will give you costs.

Edited by thaibites0

• 2 weeks later...

Normally, we order an instruments to make wine from Suksapan Panit at Rajdumneau rd. big building close to the grand palace. Because you run a small plant of fermentation wine. If you run the big one should to contract Scientific Promotion company or Auywittaya Science Tech.com. or Schsharee holding..etc.

But In KKU. or MSU. They have centre of OTOP and wine distributor, you can ask for helping from there also.

If you wanna know more information please contract

www.suksapan.or.th

I have made some good wine in the past but not in Thailand. It all depends on the juice you start out with and good grape juice is a key to success. Where do I find good grape juice in Thailand? The stuff at my local supermarket all contains either added vitamin C which act as a preservative and kills yeast, or some other form of preservative which will have the same effect.

I used bread yeast with no after taste. Here the key is patience. The longer you wait the better it gets. Anyone should know that about wine.

Grape juice? Buy grapes and press them yourself - not hard to do.

Why do you stop at grapes? Wine can be made from anything - oranges, lemons, limes(a bit sour though) malagaw and just about anything you'd like to try - if you can make nettle wine and bore your neighbours about how good it is you can make wine from anything!