President Obama launches re-election campaign with e-mail, web video to supporters

News_Editor

President Obama launches re-election campaign with e-mail, web video to supporters

2011-04-04 18:05:29 GMT+7 (ICT)

WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) -- Barack Obama on early Monday morning launched his re-election campaign for President of the United States in an e-mail to supporters, along with a brief web video. Vice President Joe Biden will be his running mate.

The announcement on Monday was no surprise and had been expected. "Today we are filing papers to launch our 2012 campaign. We're doing this now because the politics we believe in does not start with expensive TV ads or extravaganzas, but with you - with people organizing block-by-clock, talking to neighbors, co-workers, and friends. And that kind of campaign takes time to build," Obama wrote in an e-mail sent to his supporters.

Obama said that the work of laying the foundation for his re-election campaign must start now, even though the campaigns for the 2012 presidential elections are just beginning. He pledged to stay focused on "the job you elected me to do" while his re-election campaign gets underway.

And even though Obama's re-election campaign had been expected to begin this week, its start is different from his 2008 presidential campaign which he kicked off on February 10, 2007 by giving a speech in front of the Old State Capitol building in Springfield, Illinois.

"This will be my final campaign, at least as a candidate. But the cause of making a lasting difference for our families, our communities, and our country has never been about one person. And it will succeed only if we work together," Obama said in his e-mailed statement.

Obama's 2008 campaign was widely known for themes of "hope" and "change", and a web video for his 2012 campaign was titled "It Begins With Us", referring to a number of people who appeared in the video to represent average American people.

"We've always known that lasting change wouldn't come quickly or easily. It never does. But as my administration and folks across the country fight to protect the progress we've made -- and make more -- we also need to begin mobilizing for 2012, long before the time comes for me to begin campaigning in earnest," Obama said.

Obama said that, in the coming days, his supporters will begin forging a new organization that will be build across the country. "And I'll need you to help shape our plan as we create a campaign that's farther reaching, more focused, and more innovative than anything we've built before," he added.

Obama, who did not appear himself in the brief, 2-minute video, did not refer to Vice President Joe Biden in his statement but Biden earlier said he had been asked to be Obama's running mate in 2012. Obama's 2012 web store also showed items with Biden's name on it.

The U.S. presidential elections are expected to be held on November 6, 2012 and the only other Democrat who has already announced his candidacy for president is pro-life activist Randall Terry.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-04-04