Briton in Phuket Sets New Scuba Dive Record

george

Briton sets new scuba dive record

PHUKET: A British dive instructor has set a new world record of 313 metres for the deepest scuba dive, besting the previous mark by five metres, a newspaper said today.

Mark Ellyatt took 12 minutes to find his way into the depths off the resort island of Phuket in southern Thailand - but he needed six hours and 40 minutes to return safely to the surface on Thursday, according to the Phuket Gazette.

Failure to decompress slowly on deep dives can result in death.

``It's a lonely trip, like a trip to the moon,'' he said.

An independent verification of the record was not immediately available. The previous world mark of 308 metres was set on November 6, 2001 by British diver John Bennett off the island of Mindoro in the Philippines, according to Guinness World Records.

The depth of 305 metres had long been regarded as a major barrier.

Ellyatt dived with six tanks and had another 24 brought down to him by support divers who met him at various stages of his ascent.

Ellyatt, a technical instructor at a Phuket dive company, required emergency decompression treatment after a deep dive in February, and needed more than three months to recover.

The Briton said he had prepared for the dive for about 10 years. He said his motive was not to set a world mark but to improve safety standards.

``I wanted to find a method for safely ascending because there doesn't seem to be one. Lots of companies sell computer software that plots a solution for returning to the surface but none of it seems to work,'' he said.

If he is interested in safety why isn't there more about health, preparation, training and risk. Over the last ten years "techinical diving" has been offered to the general public. I have been diving since 1968 and have never needed a trip to the chamber and hold some certificates in deeper diving and using air mixes ofther that what we breathe. Those certificates are at the highest level issued by the worlds largtest orginization. CV established. If one wishes to go for that stuff great but looking at the stats one is well advised to be very cautious. Looking at my self I have many many dives to over 200ft on air SOLO... Crazy, yes and very crazy. Now a days I never dive on anything but Enriched Air at 36% O/2 and seldom below 80 feet. Lets face it most of the most beautiful dives are when the light is and that is shallow. Whould I use the (pay the extra money for) 36% Nitrox for a dix to 33 feet. Sure, why not, you just feel better. I really never use the increased bottom time offered with enriched air but just enjoy the added safety and you come back feeling great. Look around the world, Oxygen bars.

I submit to the board that the Underwater World is open and so is the Oxygen Bar

but usines enriched air and staying well within the No decopression limits. This summers celebrates 39 years of accident free diving. That record seeking gentleman cannot offer that and seems to like to visit the moon.....

Please don't join him on the moon or in the recompression chamber. Happy

Diving.