Redeem Lottery Winnings

Forethat

I am trying to redeem a lottery winning, something that has turned out to be more difficult than I first expected. I asked my gardener (only semi-bilingual, though) and she told me some of the people selling tickets would redeem. Eventually I found one who was willing to redeem, but only at 10.000 Baht commission. The second best was a guy who wanted 12.000 in commission.

Surely, there must be a way to redeem the winnings without having to pay money for the privilege. I just dont know what it is.

Anyone who knows if there's a lottery office somewhere where I can redeem?

Edit:

Sorry I cant spell Lottery, but you get the idea...

Edited by Forethat

Rotten scoundrels, the lot...

PM me for my mailing address, send it to me and I will redeem the prize - no commission.

At one of the places the person asked to see the tickets so that he could verify that they weren't copies. He then then handed the tickets to someone else who allegedly needed to go somewhere with the tickets, I had to get more or less physical to get the tickets back. So in short, he had the same idea as yourself... :rolleyes:

Rotten scoundrels, the lot...

PM me for my mailing address, send it to me and I will redeem the prize - no commission.

At one of the places the person asked to see the tickets so that he could verify that they weren't copies. He then then handed the tickets to someone else who allegedly needed to go somewhere with the tickets, I had to get more or less physical to get the tickets back. So in short, he had the same idea as yourself... :rolleyes:

Well, not exactly, he wasn't kidding.

They sure think we're stupid, don't they?

This site also has some good information: http://www.thailotteryresults.com/

If you win a prize, you'll have to go to the GLO (Government Lottery Office) where you will receive a cheque. However, if the prize is less than 20,000 baht, you can go to a local agent and he/she will give the money to you in cash. There is tax, which you'll have to pay in order to get the money. The nominal rate is 50 satang (0.5 baht) for every one hundred baht. If you cash your money at a local agent, they'll normally charge you about 2 baht for every one hundred baht.

So the 10,000 Baht sounds about right if you won half a million. Gratz!

Edited by Jdietz

This site also has some good information: http://www.thailotteryresults.com/

If you win a prize, you'll have to go to the GLO (Government Lottery Office) where you will receive a cheque. However, if the prize is less than 20,000 baht, you can go to a local agent and he/she will give the money to you in cash. There is tax, which you'll have to pay in order to get the money. The nominal rate is 50 satang (0.5 baht) for every one hundred baht. If you cash your money at a local agent, they'll normally charge you about 2 baht for every one hundred baht.

So the 10,000 Baht sounds about right if you won half a million. Gratz!

Blimey... I was NOT subject to attempts to scam the farang...I owe a couple of apologies then. Good thing I only uttered the words at the absolute privacy of my car...

Yup, 40.000 x 10

Thanks, I'll head to the GLO office and cash the winnings. (mind you, I shouldn't complain about fees and taxes, after the missus-tax there's just enough left for a new BCD...urrrrgh)

The GLO in Bangkok is the only place you can redeem your winnings without paying a fee...all lottery agents collected a 2% fee, this is called " convenience fee " like what you pay for budget airlines on-line bookings... :D

I think that's the highest you can win on a single ticket. Well done! Congratulations to the OP!

Thanks!

I think you can actually win 2 million on a single ticket.

The thing is I never knew I had the same number on all 10 tickets, I thought it was an entire series when you bought a "bunch". So it took a while before I realised I'd won 10 times more than I initially thought.

Gin nim nim....!

:P

Even more so for holding onto the ticket when someone wanted to "verify" it <_<

crazy...