Isaan: The Chicken Capital Of Thailand

selftaopath

But a pair of geese. They don't take to people well but if they like you, you are OK. Mine used to bite my wife on her butt and chase her around except if she was with me. Chickens seem to get out of their way. Geese can hurt you with a bite and flog you pretty well with their wings.

I had geese in Arkansas but never tried them in Thailand. They are good to eat. Remember to keep draining off the fat they are pretty greasy.

PS don't run away from them, that only goads them on. They don't train well and seem to have a short or non existent memory. A bit like my first GF from Issan. You can establish dominance over a goose and the next day she has completely forgotten the experience. They don't even seem to care that you feed them daily. If they don't like you they just don't like you.

I think you can buy them in Rayong at Heritage Geese Farms I think. They make good watch dogs too.

Geese have been protecting Ballantine's bonded warehouses near Glasgow, Scotland, since 1959. They guard 240 million litres of maturing whiskey.

Let me know if you try it.

Nice suggestion, Mark. We have geese on our property {not for consumption}. In some strange way, they seem to keep the chickens in order.....some sort of avian connection that is hard to decipher. An added note: geese make much better watch animals and they bark all night!B)

You have geese that bark?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But a pair of geese. They don't take to people well but if they like you, you are OK. Mine used to bite my wife on her butt and chase her around except if she was with me. Chickens seem to get out of their way. Geese can hurt you with a bite and flog you pretty well with their wings.

I had geese in Arkansas but never tried them in Thailand. They are good to eat. Remember to keep draining off the fat they are pretty greasy.

PS don't run away from them, that only goads them on. They don't train well and seem to have a short or non existent memory. A bit like my first GF from Issan. You can establish dominance over a goose and the next day she has completely forgotten the experience. They don't even seem to care that you feed them daily. If they don't like you they just don't like you.

I think you can buy them in Rayong at Heritage Geese Farms I think. They make good watch dogs too.

Geese have been protecting Ballantine's bonded warehouses near Glasgow, Scotland, since 1959. They guard 240 million litres of maturing whiskey.

Nice suggestion, Mark. We have geese on our property {not for consumption}. In some strange way, they seem to keep the chickens in order.....some sort of avian connection that is hard to decipher. An added note: geese make much better watch animals and they bark all night!B)

WHOOPS! Sorry - typo. Meant that {as opposed to dogs} they DON'T bark all night. ;)

:lol: so, instead of other people's mental chickens the OP will have his very own barking geese? Much better! :cheesy:

Next post will be "Isaan Barking Geese! Help, I'm stuck in my house and the fence is too high to climb over!"

Edited by bifftastic

WHOOPS! Sorry - typo. Meant that {as opposed to dogs} they DON'T bark all night. ;)

No, it's too late, the image of barking geese is firmly lodged in my brain now :D

No, it's too late, the image of barking geese is firmly lodged in my brain now :D

Geese bark. Imagine the impression you will make. They already think we are nuts, then you show up with a giant chicken that swims, barks and chases people.

I find it very interesting, amazing actually that some people (with ???? credentials) can know what is "Best" for others. And to know that from a mere expression of not liking chickens tromping all over their dwelling. LOL Ah all the "experts." RUN RUN RUN/MOVE MOVE MOVE/drink drink drink????

You and perhaps all those other "runners" would be very surprised and "my way" if you knew it. LOL But alas I will not continue this banter of moving etc. with individuals who suggest such poorly thought out approaches to - practically all - situations which do not please them. LLOL

Lighten up pal.

You are the one who came here to vent and ask for advice.

Thank all for taking the time to reply.

Selftopath, it seems with 37 replys that only a small % have been in anyway helpful, if indeed you are in rented accomadation, i can see you reluctance to build a wall, but a 2mtr high netting fence wouldnt be expensive, with local bamboo poles ect. plus a total coverage of the salad gardens to keep predators out, you might even leave a small gap [covered] to allow chickens in, the rotted crap is very good for soil fertility, plus they might lay a few eggs for you,,

As for locals pissing in your garden, I have to ask if your wife/gf is of a strong constitution? some nights haveing a beer outside our salon, the odd thai drunk sits down, and sleeps, if he starts to ask for beer or a cig, Mrs tells him to go, if he insists, she says she will call police, if that doesnt work, out comes the 1 mtr bamboo pole and she will use it if he doesnt leave,

What im trying to tell you is that its your thai better half that has to make the stand, not you, yes, ok, advise her on your likes and dislikes, and she will listen to you because she wants you happy,

Ive found that in Issan the best way is to introvert, be happy with your own thoughts, dont think to much of the good old days down the pub with mates ect, have your internet and ubc, a little land to grow veg, a good thai family, a strong mrs, and try to stay out of family problems, let the thais sort that out themselves, your input will not be welcomed, [unless its money of course]

Good Luck and welcome to Issan, Cheers, Lickey.

Ain't much you can do, mate. Build a higher netting fence? If you start shooting them with a BB gun you might start getting abuse from the neighbours. If you want to know who owns them, cook and eat one of them, then somebody will start asking questions and wanting 40B compensation. You could buy some of that chicken baskets things in the market and throw that over them, somebody will start looking for them. I have a dog but he just watches them. I had to beat them out of the house with a stick at one stage, jeez they're thick. Nobody gives a toss whose land it is, they just wander all over the place. I am talking about the Thais not the chickens. If you want personal boundaries or privacy Isaan ain't the best of places.

You had to beat Thais out of your house with a stick?

Selftopath, it seems with 37 replys that only a small % have been in anyway helpful, if indeed you are in rented accomadation, i can see you reluctance to build a wall, but a 2mtr high netting fence wouldnt be expensive, with local bamboo poles ect. plus a total coverage of the salad gardens to keep predators out, you might even leave a small gap [covered] to allow chickens in, the rotted crap is very good for soil fertility, plus they might lay a few eggs for you,,

As for locals pissing in your garden, I have to ask if your wife/gf is of a strong constitution? some nights haveing a beer outside our salon, the odd thai drunk sits down, and sleeps, if he starts to ask for beer or a cig, Mrs tells him to go, if he insists, she says she will call police, if that doesnt work, out comes the 1 mtr bamboo pole and she will use it if he doesnt leave,

What im trying to tell you is that its your thai better half that has to make the stand, not you, yes, ok, advise her on your likes and dislikes, and she will listen to you because she wants you happy,

Ive found that in Issan the best way is to introvert, be happy with your own thoughts, dont think to much of the good old days down the pub with mates ect, have your internet and ubc, a little land to grow veg, a good thai family, a strong mrs, and try to stay out of family problems, let the thais sort that out themselves, your input will not be welcomed, [unless its money of course]

Good Luck and welcome to Issan, Cheers, Lickey.

Lickey, Thank you foryour helpful, supportive, and welcoming post. Like you pointed out many of the posts weresomewhat less helpful but I feel your post along with a few others (name)depict the essence of X pat camaraderie. Yes most of the TV posts have beensomewhat ?????? mean spirited???? Or, at least not seeming helpful. But I thankyou.

As suggested, we installed a nylon net fence around most ofthe property. I learned the “darling”chickens can fly, and some fly over the top of the fence. I also purchased a sling shot, but w/out any “ammo.” I got moist clay, and made my own littleballs to shoot at them (wife’s idea actually). Unfortunately I can’t hit theside of a barn. I do think the rascals arebe learning as they seem to be lessening their descent. Maybe my chasing a fewwith a make shift broom scared em off J

My wife is not shy to speak to Thai people a/b things I findannoying e.g. she told the “pisser” to go and asked him if he did not know howto use a “hang nam.” He responded typicallyby SMILING. ????

I don’t think her “constitution” is developed nearly as muchas your Mrs. (yet) as I doubt she would use a bamboo stick..... JBut I an hope J

Like you suggested also, I ask my Mrs to intercede. She isfully aware of my likes and dislikes. She really seems to understand me. I don’t get into these things personally b/c I’ma “guest.” And yes I “keep to myself”(guess it could be deemed introverted???) We have UBC and thank buddah I was recently “allowed”a TOT connection. PHEW what a relief.

We have land which we are preparing for a dwelling. I shyaway from my Mrs nuclear family as I see their lack of motivation to work etccould be problematic if I were to act like a “rich farang.”

I use earplugs also since coming here J

Thanks again to you and Vegemite for your posts (sorry if Iforgot the names of other helpful posters – not intentional.

Ain't much you can do, mate. Build a higher netting fence? If you start shooting them with a BB gun you might start getting abuse from the neighbours. If you want to know who owns them, cook and eat one of them, then somebody will start asking questions and wanting 40B compensation. You could buy some of that chicken baskets things in the market and throw that over them, somebody will start looking for them. I have a dog but he just watches them. I had to beat them out of the house with a stick at one stage, jeez they're thick. Nobody gives a toss whose land it is, they just wander all over the place. I am talking about the Thais not the chickens. If you want personal boundaries or privacy Isaan ain't the best of places.

You had to beat Thais out of your house with a stick?

Yes, they can sniff out whiskey like pigs sniff out truffles.

OP, there is another way, 2 in fact, put some food under an up-turned basket with a small stake and a pull string, when the chickens are inside, trap them, then get FIL or BIL to catch them and clip one wing, then they cant fly, it doesnt hurt the chickens, so no worries, the next is to throw all your kitchen scraps over your fence, peelings, old fruit,mouldy bread, anything that will feed them, they will in a few days learn that they will be fed outside your garden, and should stay away, it has worked for us,

Cheers, Lickey.

OP, there is another way, 2 in fact, put some food under an up-turned basket with a small stake and a pull string, when the chickens are inside, trap them, then get FIL or BIL to catch them and clip one wing, then they cant fly, it doesnt hurt the chickens, so no worries, the next is to throw all your kitchen scraps over your fence, peelings, old fruit,mouldy bread, anything that will feed them, they will in a few days learn that they will be fed outside your garden, and should stay away, it has worked for us,

Cheers, Lickey.

Thanks much Lickey,

I've started your second suggestion (on the page) and will strongly consider the 1st one if the situation persists. Today's been "good" didn't see one of those buggers in our yard ;-)

Regards,

Keoki

The food trick IMHO will not work since chickens are really really stupid . All they think about is food and a occasional fuc_k ( the roosters that is ) . To keep them away from your veggies , chicken wire is used just everywhere i know . You do get a daily one inside but a bit of loud noice will handle that .

Like i stated b4 , learn to live with it since they are around for more then some time to come . The roosters yelling at 3:30 morning is quite annoying to me if they put the basket in front of the room , other wise it doesn't bother me . I'm even watching the training now of the fighting roosters and i can imagine ever going and betting to the local fighting range .

About chicken flu making it to headlines ... hahah , forget about it . Nobody heard of the area and nobody is interested . Everybody got a couple of chicken and if they die by illness , they die . If you shoot them , it will cost you money ( especially the roosters ).

I hope you people realise that, according to Khmer/Isan folklore, it is beneficial to have a few chickens scratching around in your garden. Something to do with clearing evil out of the place (though I never quite understand when my Khmer partner tries to explain).

I hope you people realise that, according to Khmer/Isan folklore, it is beneficial to have a few chickens scratching around in your garden. Something to do with clearing evil out of the place (though I never quite understand when my Khmer partner tries to explain).

Beating a dead chook, Birdy.:jap:

Beating a dead chook, Birdy.:jap:

I thought that would bring you out of your shell, zzaa!

I can say with all cheeriness, I quite enjoy the chickens roaming free range, as they do. Especially, when you've three or four roosting for weeks - we surely can expect a couple of dozen "little ones" under foot!!! ;)

As nobody in my in-laws house believe in trash cans or the like the yard would pile up with a mountain of leftovers unless the chickens and dogs keep it in check by picking the yard clean of anything that can be eaten.

I don't even hear the odd chickens anymore since grandma stopped keeping rosters under some netbaskets. Now the thing waking me up is the old bats screaming to the whole village in the morning but i think i would be sold as scrap if i started shooting them with a sling. ;)

Edited by glomp

As nobody in my in-laws house believe in trash cans or the like the yard would pile up with a mountain of leftovers unless the chickens and dogs keep it in check by picking the yard clean of anything that can be eaten.

I don't even hear the odd chickens anymore since grandma stopped keeping rosters under some netbaskets. Now the thing waking me up is the old bats screaming to the whole village in the morning but i think i would be sold as scrap if i started shooting them with a sling. ;)

Heh heh! Yes, my friend - the truth being is that the domestic fowl are probably seen as more valuable than your presence!! Interesting to note that the average Thai countryside dwellers aren't disturbed by such trivial distractions as many unacquainted whinge on about. Why would this be? A more comparable experiment might be to examine a "Thai" city slicker, unaccustomed to rural life, as to the ever-popular odd Farang. Would the said Thai city dweller, unaccustomed to such distractions, be of a kinship with the even less tolerant Farang....?? Is it a cultural thing or a demographic conditioned one?

We had two 20yo city kids from bkk up to visit for songkran. They come from money and they were bug eyed at a lot of stuff in isaan. My thai is as limited as their english so conversation was sparse but they had to go home before the full week was up, don't know if they couldn't hack it or really "had to do something in bangkok". As per usual "something" is never expanded on by the TGF if the farang is not in the need to know loop. :D

Sorry to say , but chicken are around in Isaan and will be around for more then some time to come . They provide some food ( as laying eggs and killing 1 once a while ) and roosters are used for fighting which is as far as i know the biggest sport in Isaan area ( Thai boxing is nowhere near as popular ) . So , if you start living in the village , learn to live with 100's of chickens and roosters screaming at 3.30 morning .

BB guns are available , so are normal guns or someone makes it for you . Catapults are locally made from a pieve of scrap wood and the elastics and leather band for it are available from the local store ( sold specially for catas ) . If you do kill or hurt your neighbours chicken , you will be a very loved man over in the village :whistling:.

WOW a BB guns are sold here?

These bloody roosters scream 24x7. They can be heard around the clock and they can be very loud.

The other chickens seem to be "free range" not sure who owns what. But of course it would be too much to expect to have them in a chicken coop "western thinking." I'm learning why quiet a few people build walls around their dwellings. Guess if "bird flu" ever hits again this place will make the news.

Its something you will have to live with, if you get rid of this one another one will appear......if you cant stand them then dont live there as I promise you it will never change

Heh heh! Yes, my friend - the truth being is that the domestic fowl are probably seen as more valuable than your presence!! Interesting to note that the average Thai countryside dwellers aren't disturbed by such trivial distractions as many unacquainted whinge on about. Why would this be? A more comparable experiment might be to examine a "Thai" city slicker, unaccustomed to rural life, as to the ever-popular odd Farang. Would the said Thai city dweller, unaccustomed to such distractions, be of a kinship with the even less tolerant Farang....?? Is it a cultural thing or a demographic conditioned one?

I think it's definitely conditioning. No-one from a proper city environment even hears traffic, police sirens etc. In fact, it keeps me awake if they're not there!

My g/f's nephew went to Bangkok for a month or so to work. In the end he had to come home, said it was too noisy! He obviously can't hear the continuous chicken/dog cacophony that surrounds him back home! :)

I think it's definitely conditioning. No-one from a proper city environment even hears traffic, police sirens etc. In fact, it keeps me awake if they're not there!

My g/f's nephew went to Bangkok for a month or so to work. In the end he had to come home, said it was too noisy! He obviously can't hear the continuous chicken/dog cacophony that surrounds him back home! :)

We are a make-up of our immediate environment.

A couple years ago, I got up in the middle of the night, found a big stick, and assassinated my neighbor's rooster who thought the street light was the rising sun. I had endured the critter's ear-splitting decibels two meters from my bedroom window for nearly six months. Further, the creature consistently destroyed my garden, scratching around for insects and what-not.

After an initial pang of guilt, sweet dreams ensued. When my partner made the comment a couple mornings later that they hadn't heard anything from the monster for a few nights, I just smiled, took another sip of coffee and turned to a new page in the Bangkok Post, with a non-committal "hmmm-mmm."

Never told a soul. 'Til now. ermm.gif

Although I'm not really the murdering type, I do believe I'd do it again. whistling.gif

Edited by Fookhaht

A couple years ago, I got up in the middle of the night, found a big stick, and assassinated my neighbor's rooster who thought the street light was the rising sun. I had endured the critter's ear-splitting decibels two meters from my bedroom window for nearly six months. Further, the creature consistently destroyed my garden, scratching around for insects and what-not.

After an initial pang of guilt, sweet dreams ensued. When my partner made the comment a couple mornings later that they hadn't heard anything from the monster for a few nights, I just smiled, took another sip of coffee and turned to a new page in the Bangkok Post, with a non-committal "hmmm-mmm."

Although I'm not really the murdering type, I do believe I'd do it again. whistling.gif

Rooster murderers. The lowest form.

cheesy.gif

Did you hide all the evidence or just left it there under the street light?

cheesy.gif

Did you hide all the evidence or just left it there under the street light?

It's even a better possibility that someone in the village happen to spy the incident. Nothing was mentioned, though. You rarely have secrets in the moo baan...:jap: