Isaan: The Chicken Capital Of Thailand

selftaopath

A couple years ago, I got up in the middle of the night, found a big stick, and assassinated my neighbor's rooster who thought the street light was the rising sun. I had endured the critter's ear-splitting decibels two meters from my bedroom window for nearly six months. Further, the creature consistently destroyed my garden, scratching around for insects and what-not.

After an initial pang of guilt, sweet dreams ensued. When my partner made the comment a couple mornings later that they hadn't heard anything from the monster for a few nights, I just smiled, took another sip of coffee and turned to a new page in the Bangkok Post, with a non-committal "hmmm-mmm."

Never told a soul. 'Til now. ermm.gif

Although I'm not really the murdering type, I do believe I'd do it again. whistling.gif

COOL! A man of action. I applaud you sir. Some of us understand "boundary" issues; some (even foreigners) don't and never will. In most civilized countries if noise from one dwelling is heard on/in another's dwelling then the noisy culprits are overstepping their rights and infringing on other people's RIGHTS to quiet. I reckon there are even a few Thai people who understand and would agree. Now let's here from the individuals who apparently leave every situation they do not like and never attempt to change things that are within their control - rights.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple years ago, I got up in the middle of the night, found a big stick, and assassinated my neighbor's rooster who thought the street light was the rising sun. I had endured the critter's ear-splitting decibels two meters from my bedroom window for nearly six months. Further, the creature consistently destroyed my garden, scratching around for insects and what-not.

After an initial pang of guilt, sweet dreams ensued. When my partner made the comment a couple mornings later that they hadn't heard anything from the monster for a few nights, I just smiled, took another sip of coffee and turned to a new page in the Bangkok Post, with a non-committal "hmmm-mmm."

Although I'm not really the murdering type, I do believe I'd do it again. whistling.gif

cheesy.gif

Did you hide all the evidence or just left it there under the street light?

It's even a better possibility that someone in the village happen to spy the incident. Nothing was mentioned, though. You rarely have secrets in the moo baan...:jap:

Everyone in my moo baan goes to bed at 9pm and gets up between 4 & 5 a.m. It's totally deserted during those hours. No police, no security guards, no lights in any windows. A perfect window for rooster-cides (homicide doesn't seem to fit). If someone saw me, they probably applauded my efforts and enjoyed subsequent sweet dreams as well. I think I may be an unsung hero with throngs of local secret admirers.

cheesy.gif

So you still haven't told us what you did with the dead rooster ?

COOL! A man of action. I applaud you sir. Some of us understand "boundary" issues; some (even foreigners) don't and never will. In most civilized countries if noise from one dwelling is heard on/in another's dwelling then the noisy culprits are overstepping their rights and infringing on other people's RIGHTS to quiet. I reckon there are even a few Thai people who understand and would agree. Now let's here from the individuals who apparently leave every situation they do not like and never attempt to change things that are within their control - rights.

Yes....civilised countries.:rolleyes:

cheesy.gif

So you still haven't told us what you did with the dead rooster ?

That's another dirty secret I'll hold 'til my grave....B)

Frogs , yes we do have them once a while . But we also have people with guns who'll go after the 1st frog which they can spot , and they are pretty good at it . Yes , that's hunting frogs and a good night can bring some decent wage as everybody ( including me ) eat's them .

Chickens , cluck cluck . Wait till you hear the frogs ! :shock1:

Especially after the rain.

Brings out the snakes as well.

At least the snakes are quiet! :rolleyes:

Frogs , yes we do have them once a while . But we also have people with guns who'll go after the 1st frog which they can spot , and they are pretty good at it . Yes , that's hunting frogs and a good night can bring some decent wage as everybody ( including me ) eat's them .

tom gob :licklips:

Chickens , cluck cluck . Wait till you hear the frogs ! :shock1:

Especially after the rain.

Brings out the snakes as well.

At least the snakes are quiet! :rolleyes:

And taste like chicken.

...haven't eaten much snake, have ya?B)

Not a whole one, no, but I have sampled, along with most creatures that walk, swim, fly, crawl or slither on this planet. In the same vein as Mr Waugh, I would like to try wombat, but I expect that I will be denied that pleasure.

Not a whole one, no, but I have sampled, along with most creatures that walk, swim, fly, crawl or slither on this planet. In the same vein as Mr Waugh, I would like to try wombat, but I expect that I will be denied that pleasure.

In my village I have got conditioned to the roosters, and as I keep geese, turkeys, ducks as well as chickens I suppose I'm immune to them too. Am getting used to a tookay lizard that has taken up residence and calls me sporadically at night. Two things do annoy me, effin pigeons in the roof, noisy, lose ridden birds; but the thing that annoys me the most and I cannot get used to id human generated. I refer to the thump, thump,thump of huge loudspeakers with the bass turned up to full blast. Played from about 5am in the morning throughout the day until about 1am the next day.

In my village I have got conditioned to the roosters, and as I keep geese, turkeys, ducks as well as chickens I suppose I'm immune to them too. Am getting used to a tookay lizard that has taken up residence and calls me sporadically at night. Two things do annoy me, effin pigeons in the roof, noisy, lose ridden birds; but the thing that annoys me the most and I cannot get used to id human generated. I refer to the thump, thump,thump of huge loudspeakers with the bass turned up to full blast. Played from about 5am in the morning throughout the day until about 1am the next day.

An item that seems to disturb the newer countryside dweller might be the all night loud parties, tamboons, etc. Another thing to get accustomed to.

An item that seems to disturb the newer countryside dweller might be the all night loud parties, tamboons, etc. Another thing to get accustomed to.

I can rent you a boom lorry, zzaa; the noise that thing makes would make the cockiest rooster green with envy! I make money out of noise... by sending it out to people who want it.

By the way, a good 30 or so posts back you said I was flogging a dead chook; good legs these Isan roosters have got.

I can rent you a boom lorry, zzaa; the noise that thing makes would make the cockiest rooster green with envy! I make money out of noise... by sending it out to people who want it.

By the way, a good 30 or so posts back you said I was flogging a dead chook; good legs these Isan roosters have got.

I think zzaa09 has flogged this chook more than most.

I think zzaa09 has flogged this chook more than most.

How rude.....anyway, that usually left up to Mrs. zzaa09.:jerk:

If your boom boom lorry is making too much noise you could sound proof it . :header:

If your boom boom lorry is making too much noise you could sound proof it . :header:

What do you mean "too much noise"? The more the merrier.

Hello selftaopath

Thinking beyond the chicken issue...........

I don't live in Issan currently, but, I have built a house there (please spare me the try before you buy posts people I am very happy with my choice and very adaptable and have $ to burn...........) anyway, as you are currently renting with a view to building could I suggest you do like I did and build approximately 1 mile from your wifes village (if that's posible and the area quite) this is what I have done and it seems quite ideal as you get to enjoy the great village folk anytime you wish, and for me that will be frequent, but when you feel the need you can withdraw to your retreat.

I find it the perfect combination of enjoying and learning from the rich Issan culture and having my own space. No chickens, dogs, etc unless I choose. Something to think about maybe?

Good luck

Edited by Royspurs

• 3 months later...

I find it strange that Issan is both the 'chicken capital' as well as the 'missing pet dog capital' of Thailand.

Is there a connection Kentucky Fried what????:D

That's painting quite a broad brush of stereotypical [even mythical] proportions towards the whole Isaan region. It's well known that those communities that munch on Rover's hind leg are reasonably limited to a couple of provinces edging along the river. You'll find that an overwhelming percentage of Isaanites will be disgusted or indifferent with the idea of consuming canine....

Edited by zzaa09

I find it strange that Issan is both the 'chicken capital' as well as the 'missing pet dog capital' of Thailand.

That's painting quite a broad brush of stereotypical [even mythical] proportions towards the whole Isaan region. It's well known that those communities that munch on Rover's hind leg are reasonably limited to a couple of provinces edging along the river. You'll find that an overwhelming percentage of Isaanites will be disgusted or indifferent with the idea of consuming canine....

Ah, but that doesn't mean you don't see the pick up trucks with cages driving through the Isaan villages looking to purchase pet hind legs. Happens here in Prasat area, far from the (mythical) provinces edging along the river. My next-door neighbor sold her pet dog to one a few months ago, so don' tell me it doesn't happen.

:unsure:

Ah, but that doesn't mean you don't see the pick up trucks with cages driving through the Isaan villages looking to purchase pet hind legs. Happens here in Prasat area, far from the (mythical) provinces edging along the river. My next-door neighbor sold her pet dog to one a few months ago, so don' tell me it doesn't happen.

:unsure:

Yes, this is quite true. But selling and dining are two different items. You know haw that is? Looking to gain a few more Baht here and there...:jap:

Edited by zzaa09