Trout

Forethat

One of the things I really miss from Europe is fly fishing. Salmon, trout, grayling and similar was an important part of my life BT (Before Thailand), but that is all but a memory know I'm afraid.

Surely there must be a place where I can find similar fly fishing in Thailand? Maybe not trout, but something similar?

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Masheer are extremely rare in Thailand, have not heard of one being caught recently, would be great to be told I am wrong. Your best bet is India, but it don't come cheap and even there you need to trek to the best spots and take a guide. You will also need substantial equipment, pound per pound they say the strongest fighting freshwater fish.

Some great trout fishing too in the north of India.

There are mahseers in Chiang Rai province, but their locations are carefully guarded. There was a one-off exploratory mahseer fishing expedition by a group of Malaysian fishermen last year, with the help of the Thai park rangers. Mahseers were filmed swimming in pristine rivers next to native settlements deep in the jungles.

i myself have been a fly fisherman all my life till i moved to los,fished most of the comps.in the uk and international trials,got rid of a lot of expensive gear,but my dream was always to go game fishing in new zealand,they have some of the best trout fishing in the world.[dreaming again]

Masheer are extremely rare in Thailand, have not heard of one being caught recently, would be great to be told I am wrong. Your best bet is India, but it don't come cheap and even there you need to trek to the best spots and take a guide. You will also need substantial equipment, pound per pound they say the strongest fighting freshwater fish.

Actually, a lot of people refer to the Hampala Barb (falsely) as a Masheer. It looks rather similar, but it's not in the same family. They do fight harder than any trout I've ever caught, but don't taste nearly as good... though I catch and release almost all of the fish I catch.

Actually, a lot of people refer to the Hampala Barb (falsely) as a Masheer. It looks rather similar, but it's not in the same family. They do fight harder than any trout I've ever caught, but don't taste nearly as good... though I catch and release almost all of the fish I catch.

Are you sure about that?

This is a youtube video of an actual Mahseer caught in Nepal. They are identical to the ones caught in India. Mahseer love fast, clear, cool mountain water.

8BDAOXHslyE&feature=player_detailpage

These fish are what I've caught many of in Thailand... on the fly.

1u7KjAouAf8&feature=player_detailpage

Both fish look identical.

Mahseer have a little barbule near their mouth. Barb do not, at least none of the various species of barb I've caught in Thailand ever had a little barbule near their mouth.

This is a jungle perch which is a sub-species of Barb known as Hampala barb, and quite common in Thai reservoirs. I've caught hundreds of them up to about 4 or 5 pounds.

Jungle_perch_1_Em.jpg

Ian_with_jungle_perch_1_Em.jpg

Asian Mahseer, of which there are several varieties, can grow much larger. We've caught them up to 15 pounds, but in India and Nepal they've reached weights over 60 pounds.

Thai_mahseer_1.jpg

Mahseer_1.jpg

underwater_Mahseer_3_001.jpg

sorry the youtube quotes didn't work. thaivisa must have a different system of embedding youtube than other forums.