BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Forethat

Home Security

And just to make things a bit more clear, keep in mind that even some foreigners here, despite even having been targeted and fallen for one of the many scams, it will still deny that this is a bad thing and can go to extreme arguments trying to defend the perpetrators, sorry i am not a psichiatrist and cannot really tell you what is that all about in more technical terms.

As soon as you try to protect yourself and being a rational and well aware person, they will try to tell you things like "you are paranoid, these things don't happen in Thailand" or "it's like anywhere else", trying to make you lower down your defense, beware! they are the irrational ones, not you!

Crimes happen everywhere, yes, but in this country even the way the different crimes are dealt with is a world apart (that's obviously if you are not coming from another 3rd world country, where things might be even worse) from the civilized part of the globe.

Just assume you are in the middle of a jungle and on your own, that would be just appropriated.

Technology, even if not perfect, can give you great advantages, like being able to see how many criminals are inside your property and where, don't listen to who said it's not an advantage, as they are probably looking at this from the prospective of the thiefs, in that case yes they are right :D

Quick question for anyones in the knows, which one is the best place to upload the recording of the CCTV on the internet? as a thief might steal the CCTV recorder as well but i don't thing he will go as far to delete the same recording uploaded on the net and protected by a password....

Thanks.

I shoot beer bottles in the river next to my house on a routine basis.

Word gets around.

OP said: " How do I protect my family against this kind of stuff, how do I make the intruders opt for someone else's house than mine?"

Unfortunately I do not live in a mooban and have no gaurds patrolling but that is not to say moobans are any less susceptible to home invasions.

With the lack of a gated community and patrol guards we opted to invest on security measures that at least would make our neighbors an easier target.

It also helps to drive the least expensive car on our block and keep the personal belongings to a bare minimum. We opted not fill our house with large flat screns, opulent furnitures or things that look valuable.

Yeah what life with out nice toys you say? Well if I wanted these things I would be living in the wrong country, a country where police presences is non existence and the wide gap between the rich and poor.

Typically in thailand its either an inside job or been cased by invited maintenance workers, AC, electrician, cleaners, delivery etc...

With that said, I installed lots of lights inside and out and I mean a lot. Some of them on timers to go off at dusk and some activated by motion but most importantly every square inch of the house exterior is covered.

During bedtime I make sure only the main areas are kept on and all motion lights to cover the rest.

I have an extensive surveillance camera set up indoors in every room and all four corners of the house with every angle covered including the drive way and any approaching vehicle to our house.

With a push of a button I have access to every camera angle on my bedroom tv.

The one thing I am lacking is a panic room. However I'm working on one but it does not cost nearly as much as everyone thinks, as a part of the bedroom or bathroom can be converted one.

My alarm system has every entry points covered, all motion covered should they gain entry without tripping the alarm and every light in the house is switched on including the indoor and outdoor siren and strobe light where people 20 houses away can spot something is going on at my house. Was not hard to install and a lot easier than most people think. I am very careful as not to have false alarms as it can turn easily into a boy that cried wolf.

I have an cctv and alarm system that would put some of these thai banks to shame.

EDIT* someone mentioned how to upload cctv videos to remote location, well I didnt choose that route but it would nearly take 30 to an hour just to get to the recorder all secured by rebars and concrete concealed in a enclosed place.

How much did it cost all? 150,000 but I'm sure just as effective system can be done for 100,000.

I'm sure you can hand over just one of your many jewelry just to cover this.

All this a bit overboard? Probably, but I can sleep well at nights.

Is it worth it? well havent ran into any problems yet , knock on wood but my house easily makes my neighbors homes a much easier target.

However with all the extra measures I made, it does seem like I have something to hide which I dont know if its a good thing but boy will they be disappointed with the useless loot they will find at my house.

Edited by tangcoral

I shoot beer bottles in the river next to my house on a routine basis.

Word gets around.

That's interesting, can i ask what kind of camera do you use for your shootings? :lol:

:) it's a little bit different. I have a cheap Russian pistol I brought in from Cambodia.

:) it's a little bit different. I have a cheap Russian pistol I brought in from Cambodia.

Ouch...:lol: .....I hope you managed to register it under your name (yes a foreigner can legally own and use a firearm in Thailand, but is a bit complex as you can imagine, this is a note for whom might not be aware of it).

What precautions would you take back home? Try them here.

For me unfortunately doesn't work like that, back home i would have the nearest police station direct telephone number handy, i still remember that in some occasions, i didn't even finish to tell them what was all about that a police car was just there!! try to do this here if you can.

In my country we have soooooooo many problems, but for the police efficience in dealing with trivial matters, they EXCELL, nothing less, nothing more, both the military and the civil police forces.

Thailand? ehhrmm, i'll pass :lol:

EDIT* someone mentioned how to upload cctv videos to remote location, well I didnt choose that route but it would nearly take 30 to an hour just to get to the recorder all secured by rebars and concrete concealed in a enclosed place.

Yes that's going to give you more time, i thought about it too, the problem is that you must have access to them sometime, as they are far from being perfect machines....

A thief seeing cameras around might also want to take/destroy the recorder, especially if they are someone you wouldn't expect to be criminals......

Uploading a protected video to the web, can also give you the additional security with some member of your close family abroad being able to get access to it, never share the access code or possibly even talk about it with your thai wife or any member of her family/common friends.

have a wall all the way round your land / house. that way if anyone is inside and un authorised then you know they have crossed the border which is suspicious because they have had to climb over a fence. they cannot have an excuse and say they were just casually walking past.

If your house has allot of glass door and windows. the put steal on the inside or out side. there are some good designs

have a heavy lock in your bedroom. and a spare mobile phone. If someone does spray something under the door to knock you out then they will still have a problem getting into my room before dawn. Also if ypu wake up then you have a phone next to you.

Motion sensors around the walls.

keep all kids safe as robbers might use these as tools to gain the upper hand.

CCTVhelps but it is not much of a tool for catching up with them. If you are out u can view your house via the internet then great.

if you leave the house for days weeks months. then timer switches migt help and send give a copy of the keys to one trusted friend. they can water plants and make some activity in the house in the day time and take the post inside.

one big give away is piles of post outside someones house. means they have been away for a while.

also maybe have two safes. one with a little money in ( enough to make the robbers happy ), and can be found easy enough. and a second safe hidden - under the floor or... with yor main valuables

as for what u do if u catch a theif. is up to you.

Edited by kunash

Perhaps consider a move to a country that has less gun crime than Thailand?

Seriously, when something like this happens you've got to question your commitments to this country and in regards to your family especially now as the crime rates are spiralling out of control, anti-social behaviour is on the increase and there is more dissension amongst the majority poor classes than ever before.

I will tell you one thing, it's only going to get worse over the next few years, not better.

Agreed ! As long as the "underprivileged" majority of Thais can find no other way to participate at the ever increasing wealth of the "mighty Bangkok-Elite", they will start to "take-it", wherever they can.

- A Farang Mansion (secured like a fortress, = high brick walls surrounding the place, windows secured by iron bars, guard dogs etc.) sends a clear signal: HERE IT IS !

A case in point: Our 2 daughters bought a house near the old Don Muang Airport. The village is surrounded by high walls and there are 4 security-guards on duty 24 hours a day but still break-ins on a weekly basis !!!! No question: The "security-guards" must have made a deal with "somebody from the outside". By doing this, they make a multiple of what their basic salary is as a security-guard.

So then, must one hire security for his own property within a "guarded village" ???

Trouble in paradise ahead ? Very possible. The next elections in Thailand are just around the corner. Might be a good indicator as to where Thailand is headed.

Cheers.

How someone can turn a burglary into a political theme is beyond me.

How to avoid burglery?

Knock down the 2 meter wall, remove the motion sensors and lights, send the rottwielers on a long holiday, swap the Fortuna for a Vigo.

Stop advertising "The money is in here - come and get it!"

Simon

How someone can turn a burglary into a political theme is beyond me.

If the subject was a "simple burglary", it could be classified as an isolated incident.

But if it becomes a trend (a way of living) for people that have no access to the "Miracles of the Globalization" (people from the Isaan, for example), Thailand (and it's Elite) may have a problem on it's hands.

As the trend is in place and no remedy is in sight, "Burglaries" will be on the increase.

This is why a "burglary" can turn into a "Political-Theme". (as questioned above). Wait and see.

Cheers.